Paul's guide to... changing the HTC Touch / T-Mobile Wing PagePool size

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest alexkywalker
Phew... for whatever reason Vista disconnected my device and I didn't notice it, so that's why there was no "CopyFileTo..." message when I hi ENTER.

Now it's in progress...

START TIME: 8:09 PM (PST)

;) waiting...

Took 10 minutes.. soft-resetting now... and the memory says...

:(

:D

19.29MB (with a 6MB pagepool setting)

:)

yay!

I just did it twice one time is not enough thrill to me, Iguess:)

Seriosly, I tried 4Mb first, everything went well, but Wing became kind of slower so

I did another round for 6Mb. Now it feels better.

Thanks Paul.

God bless you and all those who cleans up the mess after manufacturers ;)

Can anyone help me with my problem? I go through all the steps and the first time i did it ok. But i decided to do a hard reset and do it again coz i want to reset something. But the 2nd time i did it, My HTC Touch just go off. Can't start , even i try to press the start button, i can't start anymore. I do a hard reset again, but it got stuck at Smart Mobility screen.

What should i do? Is it totally gone for my touch. Or there are still ways to revive it.

Thanks

Finally yeh, i got a way to solve the problem now....

Edited by ngcl

- Type 'pdocwrite Part02.4MB.dump' (or whichever name you used in the step above)

You will see something like 'CopyFileToTFFS(part02.4mb.dump:0, 0, 040d2000)' appear, and after a wait of a few minutes (it is writing a lot of data!), you'll be returned to the command prompt. DO NOT USE THE DEVICE DURING THIS OPERATION!

When you do the above 'pdocwrite Part02.4MB.dump' Does this overwrite the original Part02.dump with your new 'Part02.4MB.dump' or does it redirect the "pagepool" to read the new file? I did everything and forgot to look at what i started with as far as memory goes in the memory applet. So i am not sure if it worked or not....

Well i just re-extracted the dump file and my change is in it...

Edited by smhump

Guest angelknight7777

hey, thanks Paul and all of you guys that posted the helps. Hey, the Lord has used you to help a brother flash his memory. Praise God. I started with about 4MB and now I got about 17MB and it stays pretty steady. Thats with not tweaks to the rest of the phone. Thanks. I pray you get to know God and that He blesses you for this.

Tomas

hi Paul. Need your help here. I have the HTC ROM 2.20.707.1B WWE

in the dump rom part, I see:

64 00 00 00 48 AC 13 8C 00 00 20 00 00 00 00 00

Does it mean my pagepool is 2MB? but I only have about 16MB after soft reset. Program memory total 47.72MB. Please help.

Million thanks.

Edited by jychow

Guest p.diddy

i'm about to do this flash, but i got one quick question...

i understand all the steps but one...

in steps 4 and 5 where it says this - Part02.4MB.dump - does the 4MB part refer to the size of the flash, meaning i need to use 6MB in it's place if i am doing the 6MB flash...

sorry kind of a noob in this area

thanks in advance for any advice you can give me

i'm about to do this flash, but i got one quick question...

i understand all the steps but one...

in steps 4 and 5 where it says this - Part02.4MB.dump - does the 4MB part refer to the size of the flash, meaning i need to use 6MB in it's place if i am doing the 6MB flash...

sorry kind of a noob in this area

thanks in advance for any advice you can give me

The 4MB refers to the amount of memory that you had changed in the original Part02.dump file. So yes you need to use the 6MB in its place. And by place i mean changing the appropriate section in the Part02.dump file to reflect the 6MB change. Simply changing the 4MB to 6MB will not change the pagepool to the 6MB.

Step 4: Use a hex editor to modify the pagepool size

To edit your Part02.dump ROM image, you'll need to use a Hex Editor. The instructions below assume use of the excellent, free HxD application.

After installing and launching HxD, do the following...

- Open your new 'Part02.dump' file

- Click 'Search'

- Enter 'NKKD8'

- Press F3 to find the second instance

- Click 'Search' again

- Change 'Data Type' to 'Hex Values'

- Enter 'FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF 9B 4F FF FF 64 B0 00 00' and hit search

You will then be presented with the search results as shown below.

22-Jun-2007_HxD.jpg

After 8 more values, you'll see your pagepool setting. In the screenshot aobve, it is set to '00 00 40 00', which means 4MB. The possible values are as follows:

4MB = 00 00 40 00

6MB = 00 00 60 00

8MB = 00 00 80 00 (HTC Touch default)

12MB = 00 00 C0 00 (HTC Wing Default)

(for reference, on both my Touch and my Wing the offset location is 37B558... you can go straight to this location be selecting 'Search -> Goto').

So, to change your pagepool size...

- After locating your current pagepool value, update it to one of those shown above by selecting the value and overtyping

- Select File -> Save As, and enter a new name (e.g. Part02.4MB.dump)

- Exit the hex editor

You have now edited your ROM dump, and are ready to flash it back to the device!

Now move onto step 5..... Proceed at your own risk!!!

Guest OctaneGuy

Just wanted to add my thanks for the writeup and patching tool. The lack of memory was driving me crazy as it prevented me from answering phone calls! How can I have a phone that needs to be reset in order to take calls??? That was insane.

I took some measurements before the update.

Program

Total: 43.87

In Use: 38.94MB

Free 4.93MB

Performed a Soft Restart

Program

43.87MB

In Use: 39.63MB

Free 4.26MB

After 6MB PagePool

Program

Total: 49.89MB

In Use: 36.89

Free 13.00MB

What a significant difference. More testing will have to be done but speed has increased dramatically. Thanks!!!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest razorsharpe2

Hi Paul,

i'm new to this site in fact i bumped into it by mistake while looking for memory tweaks for my t-mobile wing. don't know much about this stuff so i'm stuck already while reading your ad about the memory tweak you said to create a directory on my desktop do you mean create a new folder or something else.

Guest razorsharpe2

HI Paul

i got stuck again while in command prompt screen. i keep getting a message 'pdocread' is not recognized as a internal or external command, operable program or batch file. what am i doing wrong. please help.

So I've had the Wing for less than an hour, and I was already tempted to hack it.

I already knew that it doesn't have the best RAM in the world, so I went out on a hunt for a fix.

This certainly helped me, thanks Paul.

(I was very skeptical at first because I just got it and I didn't want to brick it but now I'm glad I took the chance!)

Guest zabhier

I just tried this and it worked without any problems. Got over 20Mb of free program memory compared to about 14 Mb before. Will see how well my wifi web browsing does to see if it has really made a difference.

It is worth noting that this procedure doesn't affect your installed programs or your contacts/calendars. All that data is still intact.

Excellent instructions were easy to follow.

Good job!

Guest m.berliner

ONLY TESTED ON WM6 WING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

guys when i read pauls guide i was scared to do the pool changing because frankly im pretty much a noob at this stuff, and to me it wasnt in english. Through some more research i stubled upon this thread

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=324955

it claims that by following a few easy steps your pool size will be changed, and its true!

Noobs guide written by a noob:

0.5 check how much initial memory u have by going start-> settings -> system -> memory

1. download page pool.zip and extract to desktop. also download the other two cabs (enableRapi... and ASergpolicies) to be safe.

2. connect phone (wing) to PC via activesync. use USB to PC or bluetooth or whatever.

3. extract both downloaded cabs to desktop of pc (if they are zipped) and copy both to wing or phone.

3. run the cabs on the phone (they will be installed).

4. open page pool folder on PC and run backup.bat, then run the size u want (ex 6mb bat)

5. u will see a black CMD screen that opens for about 2 seconds and it will show about 4-6 lines spontaneously written.

6. soft reset/hard reset. (most say soft reset is enough).

7. confirm that now you have more memory.

ur done.!!!

my start up free program memory jumped up to 21.xx mb when i did the soft reset, it was literally that easy ( i didnt download the enablerapi)

i just figured id post there, i take no credit as none of it is my work for all those people like me who want more memory for thier wing but are weary about doing these complicated steps in pauls guide.

any more questions you can msg me and id be more then happy to help

• 2 weeks later...
Guest felipecoll

:( i coudnt open mi folder using command prompt , the file is on mi desktop and the name of it is pagepool , but i dont know what i'm doing wrong ..... y just cant open it, can someone give me an example of their extencion

Edited by felipecoll

Guest Joe Sixpack1
[teaser]Welcome to another edition of 'Paul's Guide to...' :D

Today's guide is aimed at owners of the HTC Touch and the T-Mobile Wing, as they are 2 devices that seem to have particular problems with device memory, but the same techniques can probably be applied to other devices (untested by myself).

HTC Touch and T-Mobile Wing owners will know that these two devices suffer somewhat from low memory problems. Users need to be careful with what they have running at any one time, particularly if launching memory hungry applications such as the Camera.

Deep in the depths of the operating system of your device, there is something called the 'PagePool'. Without going into too much detail (and as I understand it!), the PagePool is a special area of memory reserved for loading apps into from ROM. This PagePool is a lot faster than ROM, so when things are executed from this 'cache' instead, the performance of a device will be quicker. On the flipside, if you have a 8MB pagepool (HTC Touch) and you're using, say, 4MB of the pagepool, then 4MB of space is wasted that could be program memory. Similarly if you have a 12MB pagepool (!) (T-Mobile Wing) in this instance you would we wasting 8MB of space!

The key is striking the balance...

On both my Touch and my Wing, i've been experimenting with the PagePool, and have personally settled on 4MB. I've tried 2MB (bad), 4MB, 6MB and 8MB, and I think I can happily use 4MB without noticing a performance decrease. I'm tempted to try 6MB out for a bit longer, particularly on the Wing (which has a generally better state of affairs than the Touch it seems), but this guide will let you choose your own.

Sadly, these PagePool settings are in an area that cannot be easily changed, hence this is a ROM guide.[/teaser]

Firstly, a disclaimer.

This guide involves downloading, editing and flashing of your device ROM.

This is dangerous, very dangerous. In a worst case scenario using these techniques, your device will become unusable, with a corrupted 'OS area'. While your bootloader will (should) still be accessible, your device will be a paperweight until such time as a RUU (Rom Update Utility) becomes available for your device with the shipping ROM. We won't be able to help you, and your operator / manufacturers won't either. It's quite possible your warranty will be invalidated by editing your ROM.

If you follow this guide, you take full responsibility for what could happen. I have of course successfully been through this guide myself, but be aware that I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY SHOULD SOMETHING GO WRONG.

You've read the disclaimer and you want to have a play, now what do you need to do? Here's the guide... enjoy :(

Step 1: Install the permissions CAB to your device

In order to be able to do the read / write operations on your ROM, the security on your device needs to be set up in a certain way. Download this CAB file, and run it on your device.

ITSUTILS_Preperation.CAB

Step 2: Create a directory and download itsutils

Now we need to create a working directory. I suggest creating a directory called 'pagepool' on your desktop. When you've done this, download this ZIP file, and extract it to the new directory.

http://nah6.com/~itsme/itsutilsbin-20070323.zip (Kudos to Willem Jan Hengeveld (aka itsme) for this excellent toolkit!)

Step 3: Extract the ROM from your device

We're now going to extract the ROM from your device. This is a completely safe operation, so don't panic yet :D Take the following steps...

- Ensure device is connected to PC and Activesync'd / WMDC'd

- Open a command prompt at your new directory

- Type 'pdocread -l' (minus the quotes of course)

You will then be presented with something that looks like this:

70.95M (0x46f2000) TrueFFS

|		   3.06M (0x30fc00) Part00

|		   3.06M (0x310000) Part01

|		  64.82M (0x40d2000) Part02

We want to read the Part02 area (the bottom line above), so...

- Type 'pdocread 0 0x40d2000 Part02.dump' substituting 0x40d2000 with the appropriate value from your 'pdocread -l' output

You will see something like 'CopyTFFSToFile(0x0, 0x40d2000, Part02.dump)' appear, and after a wait of a few minutes (it is dumping a lot of data!), you'll be returned to the command prompt. During the operation you can open Windows Explorer to your working directory and see the file growing.

Step 4: Use a hex editor to modify the pagepool size

To edit your Part02.dump ROM image, you'll need to use a Hex Editor. The instructions below assume use of the excellent, free HxD application.

After installing and launching HxD, do the following...

- Open your new 'Part02.dump' file

- Click 'Search'

- Enter 'NKKD8'

- Press F3 to find the second instance

- Click 'Search' again

- Change 'Data Type' to 'Hex Values'

- Enter 'FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF 9B 4F FF FF 64 B0 00 00' and hit search

You will then be presented with the search results as shown below.

22-Jun-2007_HxD.jpg

After 8 more values, you'll see your pagepool setting. In the screenshot aobve, it is set to '00 00 40 00', which means 4MB. The possible values are as follows:

4MB = 00 00 40 00

6MB = 00 00 60 00

8MB = 00 00 80 00 (HTC Touch default)

12MB = 00 00 C0 00 (HTC Wing Default)

(for reference, on both my Touch and my Wing the offset location is 37B558... you can go straight to this location be selecting 'Search -> Goto').

So, to change your pagepool size...

- After locating your current pagepool value, update it to one of those shown above by selecting the value and overtyping

- Select File -> Save As, and enter a new name (e.g. Part02.4MB.dump)

- Exit the hex editor

You have now edited your ROM dump, and are ready to flash it back to the device!

Step 5: Flashing your edited dump back to the device

So this is where it gets dangerous. If you've done something wrong with your dump, then nasty things could (probably will) happen. If the flashing process goes wrong, then nasty things could happen. One final warning - you undertake this step at your own risk! Ready to continue? OK then...

- Ensure device is connected to PC and Activesync'd / WMDC'd

- Put the device in flight mode. This is for safety reasons... receiving a call during the flash would probably be bad

- Open a command prompt to your working directory (or use the one you already have open)

- Type 'pdocwrite Part02.4MB.dump' (or whichever name you used in the step above)

You will see something like 'CopyFileToTFFS(part02.4mb.dump:0, 0, 040d2000)' appear, and after a wait of a few minutes (it is writing a lot of data!), you'll be returned to the command prompt. DO NOT USE THE DEVICE DURING THIS OPERATION!

Step 6: Soft reset, cross fingers

Has that command finished (i.e. you have control again at the command prompt)? Then you're done! Simply press the soft reset pin on your device, and when it comes back up, you should see you the amount of program memory in the Settings -> Memory applet has changed. Good job! You can breathe easy again :D

P

Help! I have the T-Mobile Wing that I just got last month. I followed the instructions, checked the ROM contents against the hex contents you gave as well as those from "my digital life" and they all matched. I changed the '0C' to a '06' and I wrote out the ROM successfully. Now for the soft reset and - It just keeps rebooting! Is there a fix available for this yet??? Am I off to the t-mobile store tomorrow?

Thanks for any help possible,

Joe

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the information. I have a question I want to change os languege in x01t[ Toshiba g900] from japanese to english. Could u please let me know how to do it. Please explain in detail as I never did it.

Thanking in anticipation

MK