Missing Storage Card Folder Contents

Guest Tony W

Guest Tony W

I've started to get problems on my 2Gb Micro SD card again (this one a Kingston). As well as seeing some corruption of file names and missing folders I am also getting the folder structure shown but with no files within! Accordingly programs installed to the card will not run and files cannot be accessed. I have tried resetting the device but this sometimes does not work.

If I move the card (turing off Vario II first!) to my USB card reader I can see all the files and then when I insert it back into the device all normally works OK. Perhaps it's the action of reseating the card that solves the problem - but can a simply contact issue be the cause of this?

I am aware of the many problems with cards on this device (this is my second card - the last having been a Sandisk 2Gb) so I realise it may be a connections issue and have a piece of paper inserted with the card (recommended elsewhere) to ensure a good seating of the card against the device contacts.

I cannot trust the card at all in this state and have had to restore my card many many times - it's getting to be a joke Whilst others are looking to get even more storage I now do not even trust the card I have with 2 Gb so the idea of storing even more data seems crazy for me at least :) .

Has anyone else seen this and have you any ideas? Would a card of lower storage capacity be better? I ask because some seem to indicate the problem is only with these higher capacity cards.

Regards

Guest jimbouk

There have always been intermittent problems with storage cards and these devices. I believe its something to do with the way WM5 tries to keep the card contents live whilst also saving battery - as the early WM5 roms either drained the battery too quickly or kept losing the card.

I found that reformatting my card with FAT instead of FAT32 helped.

I also have found that my storage card hasn't played up since moving to WM6...