copying info from one mini SD to another mini SD

Guest emyllis

Guest emyllis

I have 2 cards, 1 gig and a 2 gig.

Currently the 1 gig is full in my phone, and I want to transfer it over to my other 2 gig one.

The only problem is that I can only copy stuff via my phone which is slow and doesn't work very well as a number of files are protected.

How can I copy all the info from one card to another via my phone easily?

Any help gratefully received :)

Guest Neil5459

Currently the 1 gig is full in my phone, and I want to transfer it over to my other 2 gig one.

The only problem is that I can only copy stuff via my phone which is slow and doesn't work very well as a number of files are protected.

You can't do it just via the phone- some of the file sizes are likely to exceed the available phone memory. Not sure what you mean by 'protected' files? Copy/Paste ought to still work, maintaining the protection. Sometimes, system files can't be copied, but there shouldn't be any system files on an expansion card unless you've elected to store the PIE cache, or message attachments on the card.

The best bet is simply to buy a USB Card reader, and use the PC to copy card 1 to the PC, then swap the cards around and copy back from the PC to Card 2.

Option 2 would be via Activesync/Explore- again, you can copy all the files from card 1 to the PC, then switch the cards over, and copy back. Be aware though that if you have any large files (>30MB) it will take ages, and you risk file corruptions, as ActiveSync is very poor at handling large files.

Guest pd.ryder

It will take forever using ActiveSync - unfortunately these things are still only USB1.1 compliant :P [stoopid really]

Deffo go the card reader route. They're ever-so cheap now.

:)

Guest Tony W

I agree completely with the comments about getting a USB stick/MicroSD card convertor. These are so cheap and will operate at USB 2 speeds so will offer massively improved data transfer rates when compared with Antivesync.

Here is one example at 7 Day Shop that includes a 2Gb Kingston Micro SD card too - at £15.99. Or there is a USB Card reader on its own for £2.99 (plus £3.95 P&P)here 7 Day Shop.

Beware though that although these USB reader/writers are great you may start to encounter problems if you remove the card too often. Many of us have experienced problems with file corruption and missing folder contents. The cause is not the same for all faults but removing the card (especially whilst the phone is on or perhaps whilst data is being written to the card) can cause this problem. Others are convinced that the issue is to do with the contacts inside the phone and so insert card/paper alongside the MicroSD card to seat it tightly (but beware of getting it stuck!!). Others have advised that changes to the registry are required to change settings within the phone that control the wait before write or resume card actions.... A few searches will highlight the scale and nature of these problems.

Regards

Edited by Tony W