partition 4gb mini sd (on windows? not on mda..)

Guest eversict

Guest eversict

i've got the mda vario (wizard, G3, cpu OMAP850) for ... 1,5 years or something...since: 09/29/2005 (rom 1.2.3.2 NLD).

buyed a 4gb mini sd from emtec (3 days ago..). pocket pc doesnt see the card.. my old cardreader doesnt see the card to. So I buyed a new cardreader and now my pc can connect and write/read from the card. I've formatted in all many ways and tried it..but the pocketpc isnt recognising it. I've tried it with wm5storage to but...as i say before... my pocketpc doesnt recognize it so wm5storage says: "cant open card".

I have try partition magic & diskmanagement (windowsxp) but couldnt remove or split the partition.

I am looking for another solution now:

- updating rom?

- tool for windows to mount the sd card as usb disk (got a working card reader: sweex CR004) <-- so without using the pocketpc

- diskpart doesnt see it as a DISK, only as a VOLUME:

Volume ###  Ltr  Label		FS	 Type		Grootte  Status	 Info

----------  ---  -----------  -----  ----------  -------  ---------  --------

Volume 0	 E   SUPER_WINPE  CDFS   Dvd-rom	  638 MB

Volume 1	 D					   Dvd-rom		 0 B

Volume 2	 C				NTFS   partitie	  34 GB  In orde	Systeem

Volume 3	 G   Games & Ove  NTFS   partitie	 114 GB  In orde

* Volume 4	 F   KOEN		 FAT32  Verwisselb  3900 MB

Volume 5	 H					   Verwisselb	  0 B

Volume 6	 I					   Verwisselb	  0 B

Volume 7	 J					   Verwisselb	  0 B

translation/explanation: Verwisselb = Removable / partitie = partition / In orde = OK(working/fine)

Volume 4 (F:\) is the cardreader -> minisd card.

PLEASE HELP me to get a working solution, buyed many things now (card: 70 euro / cardreader 20 euro) and still cant do a thing :)

Guest xeno1

Probably your best bet would be to upgrade to a newer ROM version. I've read that if your ROM version is anything below 2.x... You don't have any chance at all for it to read cards that large and even then there's still a chance that it wont even if you upgrade your ROM. I don't know what telephone carrier you use, but check out their website for a newer official ROM version. If they don't have one there for you to download then go to HTC's website, they have official ROM upgrades there also.

Edited by xeno1

Guest eversict
Probably your best bet would be to upgrade to a newer ROM version. I've read that if your ROM version is anything below 2.x... You don't have any chance at all for it to read cards that large and even then there's still a chance that it wont even if you upgrade your ROM. I don't know what telephone carrier you use, but check out their website for a newer official ROM version. If they don't have one there for you to download then go to HTC's website, they have official ROM upgrades there also.

its a t-mobile mda vario-->cid unlocked and using orange as provider, but have ordered my 2th sim card from t-mobile (with unlimited internet access)

Guest xeno1
its a t-mobile mda vario-->cid unlocked and using orange as provider, but have ordered my 2th sim card from t-mobile (with unlimited internet access)

Unfortunately, I don't think changing the sim card is going to help you any. I'm not from the U.K. but is Orange the same company as O2? If they are then the link for the newest ROM upgrade is here - http://xda.o2.co.uk/xdaMiniSoftware.jsp. Just remember that if you do this upgrade you'll lose everything on your phone when you do the upgrade so you'll want to back everything up first. I'm guessing you're going to gain a lot more functionality by doing an upgrade than just the ability to use your 4Gb card (I'm not guaranteeing that you will even be able to use it after that because some people still can't use them after upgrading). I doubt you'll regret the upgrade.

Guest xeno1
It was my understanding that it is a hardware limitation of the device and it will nvr be able to read any card over 2 gig

I have on on in mine and it works. Personally, I wouldn't recommend getting one anyway. I've had mine for about 6 months now and it gets corrupted at least once a month if not more. I was hoping that once I upgraded to WM6 it would get better but it actually got worse and started corrupting about once a week after that. Now I use my 2 Gb card for daily use and only use the 4 Gb card if I'm going to watch a movie or something that I have saved to it. I'm just trying to help him out since he's already bought one and I know how frustrating it can be spending all that time to get it to work without any luck.

By the way eversict, I forgot to ask you if the card was a 4 Gb mini SD or mini SDHC? If it says SDHC on it you're completely out of luck because the wizard doesn't support SDHC cards of any size yet. Supposedly it will only take a firmware upgrade to make it work, but HTC hasn't put one out for ours yet and I'm not sure if they even have any plans to at this point.

Oh, and 1 more thing, as far as I'm aware there isn't a way to partition a SD card. I need to do some research on that tonight after I get home from work though to be positive about that.

Guest eversict
I have on on in mine and it works. Personally, I wouldn't recommend getting one anyway. I've had mine for about 6 months now and it gets corrupted at least once a month if not more. I was hoping that once I upgraded to WM6 it would get better but it actually got worse and started corrupting about once a week after that. Now I use my 2 Gb card for daily use and only use the 4 Gb card if I'm going to watch a movie or something that I have saved to it. I'm just trying to help him out since he's already bought one and I know how frustrating it can be spending all that time to get it to work without any luck.

By the way eversict, I forgot to ask you if the card was a 4 Gb mini SD or mini SDHC? If it says SDHC on it you're completely out of luck because the wizard doesn't support SDHC cards of any size yet. Supposedly it will only take a firmware upgrade to make it work, but HTC hasn't put one out for ours yet and I'm not sure if they even have any plans to at this point.

Oh, and 1 more thing, as far as I'm aware there isn't a way to partition a SD card. I need to do some research on that tonight after I get home from work though to be positive about that.

I know that it is possible to make partitions on the mini sd card with

WM5torage (WM5torage_175.CAB) you put that file on your pda and run the program, press activate and connect your pda to your computer... now go to diskmanagement and you can edit the partitions... but the problem is that my pda doesnt recognise it so this one isnt working for me :)

Guest darkswitch

My Vario works great with my 4gb mini-sd from mobymemory!

I've had no problems with it, the Vario reads it fine and it only corrupted when someone pulled it out halfway throught writing to it.

Yes try a rom upgrade though and make sure your ipl and spl reads 2.xx at least.

Guest eversict

I've had no problems with it, the Vario reads it fine and it only corrupted when someone pulled it out halfway throught writing to it.

Yes try a rom upgrade though and make sure your ipl and spl reads 2.xx at least.

updated rom to 2.21.2.5 NLD

(last t-mobile update from NL)

I use this card: http://opus.nl/produkten_detail.asp?l=eng&pdid=8357

still not working on my mda vario

Guest eversict

updated rom to 2.21.2.5 NLD

(last t-mobile update from NL)

I use this card: http://opus.nl/produkten_detail.asp?l=eng&pdid=8357

still not working on my mda vario

Guest xeno1

Sorry eversict, there's not much else I can do to help you except to have you try one more thing. Sometimes if you put your card in a digital camera and have it do a format it will pick it up after that (this trick is how I actually got mine to work the first time but I didn't have a card reader then). Unfortunately with wizards it's kind of a hit and miss thing when it comes to 4 Gb cards, some work very well as in darkswitchs case, some keep corrupting continuously as in my case and some just don't work at all. Don't think you're the only one who's wizard a 4 Gb card won't work in if you can't get it to work with the digital camera trick because I've talked to quite a few people that never got theirs to work.

Darkswitch, I was going to ask you what you were doing that I'm not to get your card to work and not get corrupted on a regular basis, but I was playing with both my 2 GB and 4Gb card tonight and I think I may have solved the mystery of the continuously corrupting card. It started when I put my 4 Gb card in my wizard and bumped it slightly while it was in there and the card corrupted instantly, so I pulled it out and noticed that it is slightly thinner than my 2 Gb card. Apparently there's enough play in it to allow it to maybe hit the wrong pin or something (not sure what exactly) inside the port which causes it to corrupt. So, for now, I wrapped the card in a layer of paper so that it has no play in it at all anymore. I'll have to test it out now and see if that fixes it. It'd be nice if I just figured out what's causing everyones card to corrupt.

Guest dodding nonkey

pdtp is partially correct. The problem is a hardware isue. Older versions of the device are not compatible with SDHC, hence some will work with cards over 2Gb and some won't. Yes, I know the all say miniSD on the front of them, but if you read the information on the SD Association website (they are only the people who make them so obviously they only have limited knowledge - NOT!) you will find that any card over 2Gb is actually a miniSD(HC) card and as such some will and some won't.

Sorry eversict, it looks like you are in the same boat as me. I ended up buying one 2Gb card to put all my music on and one for using Tom-Tom 6 on. As long as you copy all your 'core' programs to both you shouldn't have a problem. I don't. Of course I can't travel accross Europe guided by Tom-Tom whilst listening to my music, but that's why my car has a 6cd auto-changer!

PS - sell your 4Gb card to one of the smug *&^%$&^%ers with a newer wizard so they can "It works on mine!!!!!"

Guest xeno1

Hey dodding nonkey, I was just wondering if you still had your 4 Gb card and if you had gotten adventurous enough to upgrade to WM6 yet? I thought it would be interesting to find out if maybe some of the peoples that can't get them to work problems are more on the software side than the hardware side. I've kind of noticed that a lot of the people that can't get theirs to work have OS versions lower than 2.25. I could be wrong and it is a hardware issue completely, but i thought it would be interesting to find out anyway.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest dodding nonkey

xeno1,

I've still got it, it's being used as a memory stick (with an adaptor I got with a 2Gb card for free), but I've not upgraded the OS. I'm happy with the one I've got, its stable, and I don't fancy running the risk of turning my phone/pda into a very expensive paperweight. I know the risk is low, but with my luck......

Guest xeno1

Just thought I'd ask and see. I can definitely understand what you mean about not wanting to risk bricking your phone upgrading to WM6. I started downloading different ROM's and thinking about doing it almost a month before I decided to say screw it and finally went ahead and did it. I'm glad I did it though, I learned a lot from it. Now, as you can see in my signature, I'm even cooking my own ROM's.