Paul Reviews.... the HTC TyTN II (Kaiser)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest brickphone

Im currently using a Siemen's SX66, and while I love the device; its lack of functional BlueTooth has always irked me. I was considering the Cingular 8525 as an upgrade but I am definately going to wait for this device. Just a quick question:

Where are folks going to pre-order this phone? I would love to find a place where I can pre-order one here. But as I am state-side, I am wondering if thats even an option for me at this point.

Guest burrzoo
Just a quick question:

Where are folks going to pre-order this phone? I would love to find a place where I can pre-order one here. But as I am state-side, I am wondering if thats even an option for me at this point.

You can Pre-Order from MobilePlanet.com (its the US equivilent of Expansys). Price is steep though @$869. & no expected delivery date yet. I pre-ordered but U aren't obligated to complete the purchase. Whatever reliable source has it first then that's who gets my money! I want this device! Now! Early adopters Unite! LOL!

Guest linooliveira

Hi everybody

Paul, can you answer this question?

Do Kaiser support USB Host, so we can attach a USB pen or disk?

Regards from Portugal

Guest ghaith_d

Hey everyone, this is my first post here but i couldnt help not being able to see the pics that paul took so i signed up :) .

My question is, does anyone know what kind of GPS chipset is in the Kaiser? it would be awesome if it was the SiRF III.

Guest Shuflie
Hey everyone, this is my first post here but i couldnt help not being able to see the pics that paul took so i signed up :) .

My question is, does anyone know what kind of GPS chipset is in the Kaiser? it would be awesome if it was the SiRF III.

I'd imagine (although if anyone else knows different please correct me) that since the phone has the Qualcomm MSM7200 chipset as stated by Paul in the first post of this topic, that it would actually use the GPS functionality of that chipset. Seems a bit silly to use a chipset which has GPS functionality built in and then put in a different manufacturer's GPS chip (SiRF Star III to give it its proper name is not a standard for GPS devices, it is a chipset produced by SiRF).

Edit: Looking through the Qualcomm MSM7200 specs it looks like it is an A-GPS device, my only experience of those has been the Motorola A1000 which wasn't spectacular, but that may just have been the motorola chipset. If its improved much in the last 2 or 3 years to the point where the chipset isn't completely reliant on the network to get its initial lock then there shouldn't be much of a problem, in fact it may even be better at initial lock if its getting proper location data from the network to give an approximate location before starting its satellite scan.

Edit 2: After another look at that Qualcomm chipset it looks very impressive. Hardware Accelerated 3D and Video, lots of built in video and audio codecs and support for USB OTG (which means that the chipset is at least capable of being a USB host). Whether HTC actually make use of all this though is another matter.

Edited by Shuflie

Guest ghaith_d
I'd imagine (although if anyone else knows different please correct me) that since the phone has the Qualcomm MSM7200 chipset as stated by Paul in the first post of this topic, that it would actually use the GPS functionality of that chipset. Seems a bit silly to use a chipset which has GPS functionality built in and then put in a different manufacturer's GPS chip (SiRF Star III to give it its proper name is not a standard for GPS devices, it is a chipset produced by SiRF).

Edit: Looking through the Qualcomm MSM7200 specs it looks like it is an A-GPS device, my only experience of those has been the Motorola A1000 which wasn't spectacular, but that may just have been the motorola chipset. If its improved much in the last 2 or 3 years to the point where the chipset isn't completely reliant on the network to get its initial lock then there shouldn't be much of a problem, in fact it may even be better at initial lock if its getting proper location data from the network to give an approximate location before starting its satellite scan.

Edit 2: After another look at that Qualcomm chipset it looks very impressive. Hardware Accelerated 3D and Video, lots of built in video and audio codecs and support for USB OTG (which means that the chipset is at least capable of being a USB host). Whether HTC actually make use of all this though is another matter.

To basically sumarize, it doesnt have a SiRF star III chipset, but a built in one with the qualcom chipset, and that qualcom chipset has a pretty decent gps capability with the 3d and video.

Guest Shuflie
To basically sumarize, it doesnt have a SiRF star III chipset, but a built in one with the qualcom chipset, and that qualcom chipset has a pretty decent gps capability with the 3d and video.

That's about it as far as I can tell. :)

Guest gregersdk

Hmmm guys, just noticed that the unboxed Kaiser at boy genius report has rubberized back... And it's quite some time ago that they got it... Could someone explain me why Paul has gotten this this as an update just a few days ago (I think)?

Oh, and while I'm at it.. What's the different between SiRF Star III and A-GPS other than connecting speed?

Guest kathryncheng
Hmmm guys, just noticed that the unboxed Kaiser at boy genius report has rubberized back... And it's quite some time ago that they got it... Could someone explain me why Paul has gotten this this as an update just a few days ago (I think)?

Oh, and while I'm at it.. What's the different between SiRF Star III and A-GPS other than connecting speed?

As far as I can remember when I looked at this comparison long time ago.. the main advantage of SIRF III was the battery consumption is supposed to be lesser and the accuracy wise it is supposed to be more accurate as claimed by the company BUT I have seen in some of the reviews before the still AGPS has the advantage when it comes to locking up time and when it comes to accuracy they are almost the same..... I have never tried SIRF III as I have always used the AGPS built in from HP which works brilliantly.. I have travelled a lot with my GPS navigations and I find it really good... but definitely power hungry... but issues came up with SIRF III when it comes to locking and accuracy as well thats why most of SIRF are now with AGPS capability as well... but that was long time ago when i tried to read threads about this things... www.pocketgps.co.uk is usually a good site for this sort of questions.

Guest 3waygeek

The Kaiser has just receivedFCC approval. There appear to be three variants:

1. Kaiser 100 -- no cameras
  2. Kaiser 110 -- only the rear 3-megapixel camera
  3. Kaiser 120 -- both front & rear cameras
Also, HTC has requested that FCC not release photos & the user manual until Sep. 10 -- that suggests a mid-September release.

Also, HTC has requested that FCC not release photos & the user manual until Sep. 10 -- that suggests a mid-September release.

mid-sept

i was hoping for august

Guest mikeeey

the Kaiser 110 is what wel find in the US.

but why the 100? why do they even have a kaiser without cameras? what changes has the FCC done to the kaiser?

where are you finding this info from anyway? id like to go to the site.

Guest GordonTGopher
the Kaiser 110 is what wel find in the US.

but why the 100? why do they even have a kaiser without cameras? what changes has the FCC done to the kaiser?

where are you finding this info from anyway? id like to go to the site.

There are a growing number of companies that won't let camera phone inside, so there maybe a market for a cameraless varient, it maybe that it's easier /cheaper to get all varients tested at the same time "just in case"

The FCC won't make changes, they just test, if the device fails it's the manufacturer that has to make the changes :)

Links to the FCC site from here: http://www.wirelessinfo.com/content/HTC-Kaiser-hits-FCC.htm

or go to https://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports...nericSearch.cfm the Kaiser FCC ref is NM8KS

Edited by GordonTGopher

Guest GordonTGopher

Actually it appears you have the 100 &110 the wrong way round, it's the 110 that has no camera. Not that it matters a whole load :)

Gordon

Guest mikeeey
Actually it appears you have the 100 &110 the wrong way round, it's the 110 that has no camera. Not that it matters a whole load :)

Gordon

looks like you beat me too it. i found the topic on xda-developers that had the link but thanks anyway.

however the second link isnt working..

but on that site i quote:

"According to the FCC, the Kaiser 100 doesn't have any sort of camera, while the 110 has a three-megapixel camera on the rear. The 120, the international version of the Kaiser, has both the three-megapixel imager on the rear but adds a forward facing VGA camera for some video conferencing love"

so is their info wrong? about the whole thing with 110 doesnt have the cameras but the 100 does?

Edited by mikeeey

Guest ghaith_d

dangit! what happened to the Sep. 8th release date for the U.K. :) ? coz that meant that the international version straight from HTC would be out b4 then.

Guest frydryce

RE: no camera on phones. Courthouses and hightech companies restrict camera phones from entering their premesis so the non-camera variant is more business friendly for those in the high-tech and law industries.

the treo and samsung pda phones have camera-less variants as well to gain corporate marketshare.

Guest mikeeey
RE: no camera on phones. Courthouses and hightech companies restrict camera phones from entering their premesis so the non-camera variant is more business friendly for those in the high-tech and law industries.

the treo and samsung pda phones have camera-less variants as well to gain corporate marketshare.

well thats why some people just buy a crappy black n white phone for work then. even some places if they care about it that much will give you a phone to use.

Guest Paul (MVP)

I thought it was the Qualcomm GPSone GPS chipset, but strangely it has the 'QuickGPS' application that I would normally associate with the SiRF chipset. I will find out for sure today by installing SiRFdemo...

P

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.