Paul Reviews.... the HTC TyTN II (Kaiser)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)
more more and more i believe kaiser is going to have the same display of the ELF/Touch :)

Based on what? It definitely won't.

P

Guest Paul (MVP)
I hope not... Heard (on this forum) that Touch is pretty weak in sunlight...

Indeed, the Touch screen is generally poorer visually than other PPCs, poorer contrast, lower brightness, less 'feel'... it is more robust tho :)

P

Guest Paul (MVP)
well thats why some people just buy a crappy black n white phone for work then. even some places if they care about it that much will give you a phone to use.

'If you can't have cameras at work then just use a crappy phone'.

Interesting perspective :)

P

Also, HTC has requested that FCC not release photos & the user manual until Sep. 10 -- that suggests a mid-September release.

Maybe because of the 2 other modells. Now we know that many testers have the kaiser 120 with the final hardware and almost the final ROM. Another 1 month (because was 2-3 months, if we are including the pre-productions) testing period i think is NOT acceptable, but it could release after Sept 10th :)

But IMO the 'simple' HTC Kaiser without contract SHOULD BE released before sept 1st, so in the mid or the end of august, because the contractual variations appear around the middle of a September only. I don't know how the other HTC devices has been released, so do they had so many pre-production testers, reviews before 1-2 month of the offical release... etc. so my meditation may change in these terms as well.

This a superb example how it is necessary to incite up the prospective shoppers for a device.

Hello Paul, just tell me something, did you try the kaiser with the tomtom Navigator, V6?is it working fine?what about the screen, can you tillt it? I mean change the view, either horizontal or vertical?

I'm really wondering what's wrong with this phone, because since january a lot, a lot of people are talking about it, writting and we still wont have it before september, s***!

THks for your nice test & review by the way, I can't wait-I'm another crazy HTC Kaiser freak ;-)

BR

Y@nn

Guest gregersdk
Indeed, the Touch screen is generally poorer visually than other PPCs, poorer contrast, lower brightness, less 'feel'... it is more robust tho :)

That might be a good idea... When I'm looking at my current phone, I think it might be a very good idea... But since haven't had a PPC yet, how do carry such a device? can you just have in your pocket, or do you really need a belt case? I mean, the screen is very sensitive to scratches and pressure... isn't it?

Actually, in switzerland, yes, they do, www.qtek.ch, the importer for switzerland, the model is listed, and quoted availlabiliy for august, but know I'm a little bit confused, different models, different gps, so many different thinhs...grgrrgrgrg

Guest Paul (MVP)
Hello Paul, just tell me something, did you try the kaiser with the tomtom Navigator, V6?is it working fine?what about the screen, can you tillt it? I mean change the view, either horizontal or vertical?

I'm really wondering what's wrong with this phone, because since january a lot, a lot of people are talking about it, writting and we still wont have it before september, s***!

THks for your nice test & review by the way, I can't wait-I'm another crazy HTC Kaiser freak ;-)

BR

Y@nn

There is a picture of the device running TomTom 6 in portrait mode earlier in this thread! I've not tried doing it in landscape TBH.

What's wrong with this phone? Nothing, it's just had the normal product cycle of hardware and software development, and it's scheduled for release about when HTC originally intended!

P

Guest Paul (MVP)
That might be a good idea... When I'm looking at my current phone, I think it might be a very good idea... But since haven't had a PPC yet, how do carry such a device? can you just have in your pocket, or do you really need a belt case? I mean, the screen is very sensitive to scratches and pressure... isn't it?

I just have it in my left pocket, on it's own, and have never had any damage carrying a device that way yet!

P

Guest Paul (MVP)
Actually, in switzerland, yes, they do, www.qtek.ch, the importer for switzerland, the model is listed, and quoted availlabiliy for august, but know I'm a little bit confused, different models, different gps, so many different thinhs...grgrrgrgrg

Well, there's only one variant really unless you need a camera-less model!

There is only one type of GPS onboard, and whatever it is, it works great :)

P

Guest jim.mason
hello mate,

just wondering hows your pre order with this company as they have changed the price now and their release date is 31st of August now....

I hadn't actually placed a pre-order with them, but was just highlighting what they were saying.

Cheers

Jim

Guest LaSepultura

Paul.... could you PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE post a raw video file taken with the HTC Kaiser? I really want to see the video camera quality vs a Nokia E90.

Thank you in advance.

Hey Paul, what I wanted to ask, sorry I missformulated my question...is actually if the kaiser is working without extern antenna, because I read in some other website that it's not yet decided if it will be delivered with an intern antenna, or not...so it seem that it just working fine wihtout extern antenna, so just with the "inboard" one...if you can confirm...;-)

Thks

Guest GordonTGopher
looks like you beat me too it. i found the topic on xda-developers that had the link but thanks anyway.

however the second link isnt working..

but on that site i quote:

"According to the FCC, the Kaiser 100 doesn't have any sort of camera, while the 110 has a three-megapixel camera on the rear. The 120, the international version of the Kaiser, has both the three-megapixel imager on the rear but adds a forward facing VGA camera for some video conferencing love"

so is their info wrong? about the whole thing with 110 doesnt have the cameras but the 100 does?

Attached is a grab from the Bluetooth test report on the fcc site, other docs have same info.

Gordon

post-147425-1185450168_thumb.jpg

Guest Swampie
Thanks a lot. you 've anwered my question.

I think, some exceptions apart, there was little progress in PDA CPUs the last 2 or 2 years and a half.

The G900 processor is very close to that of my loox 720 I bought 2 years and a half ago

What has intel been doing for PDA and smartphones ? nothing compared to the centrino family.

I was wondering if with comparable clock frequency and comparable amount of memory

the architecture of the CPU would be innovative enough to make a difference.

At least I can hear the difference between UMTS and HSDPA can be felt and you seem to insist on the fact the kaiser is fast that's good news for me.

Intel has been doing nothing for PDA and Smartphones. Intel have pulled out of all processors other than desktop PC processors. The Xscale line (which the PXA255/270 etc which many PDAs use) has been sold to Marvell.

Guest Paul (MVP)

If you look at the architecture, features and power consumption of the Qualcomm processor in the Kaiser, it's a very different beast to the Intel processor in device of old IMHO.

P

Guest kathryncheng
If you look at the architecture, features and power consumption of the Qualcomm processor in the Kaiser, it's a very different beast to the Intel processor in device of old IMHO.

P

Hiya Paul,

Is there any rough estimate as to how long does the battery last in a continous use of GPS?

Guest kathryncheng
Paul.... could you PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE post a raw video file taken with the HTC Kaiser? I really want to see the video camera quality vs a Nokia E90.

Thank you in advance.

hiya,

I have seen a sample video taken from kaiser at the bengal boy website... i think that was done June but its still there.. ill find the link later when i get home..

dens

Guest Paul (MVP)

When I use the device with GPS i'm always plugged in i'm afraid.

re: video taken on the device, I'll post one when I get the next software build (hopefully today!)

P

Guest Webreaper

I've just spoken to a guy in T-Mobile Fleet Street (London) who said that there's a fair chance T-Mobile UK may not carry the Kaiser at all because it's not 3G. Apparently it would go against the T-Mobile 'web' roadpath.

I'm beginning to think I might not bother with the Kaiser, and may go for a Vario II instead, or an Orange M3100. I'm getting hammered for GPRS on O2, and even waiting for 2 months for the Kaiser could cost me £40-50 in charges, which I could save and put towards a Bluetooth GPS....

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.