Paul Reviews.... the HTC TyTN II (Kaiser)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest halo360
So I popped into the Apple store today and had a play with the iPhone, very unimpressed, I know where my dollars would be spent between it and a Kaiser :)

P

07-Jul-2007_kaiseriphone.jpg

Iphone? Kaiser?

Guest halo360

perfect I believe that I will change my Llama by a Kaiser. Thanks. If you can put more details of why much would thank for you

:)

Guest crafty

Hi Paul,

I know that your software build isn't final yet but does the camera app include a GPS stamped photo option like some of the Trinity ROMs? I love this feature!

thanks and enjoy the rest of your holiday.

Guest juiceppc

Man I got to say, I hope that Kaiser screen is set to it's dimmest...

Also I've been reading that the iPhone screen is virtually unscratchable. Can we get this on our Winmo phones?

Guest n20nine

Man I got to say, I hope that Kaiser screen is set to it's dimmest...

Also I've been reading that the iPhone screen is virtually unscratchable. Can we get this on our Winmo phones?

juiceppc, i recognise you from somewhere...are you from mypdacafe? anyway, yes, from the video by pc world, it seems that the iphone's screen is hard to scratch, but again i am sure there will be some ways where you can scratch it. also, i have seen a picture of a damaged screen on engadget.

on the kaiser's screen, i believe that the backlight has gone off due to inactivity perhaps....i dunno, only Paul can confirm this.

Guest mikeeey
Paul, does the Kaiser perform better than the Hermes with the WM6 cooked roms?

i would think the kaiser is faster. being it has it's fast qualcomm 7200 chip, more RAM and ROM, more everything!

thats pretty much comparing 2 wm6 devices, 1 fast and new, and one old and slower.

Guest sandwiches

How does it compare on battery life with the Hermes? I love my Hermes but I don't use it to anywhere near its full potential (e.g., I never use wifi) as the battery would never last the day!

Guest mikeeey
Hi all,

Just wondering what kinda phone jack does the Kaiser utilises?

Proprietary jack (mini usb).

good thing about this is it has better quality than a normal audio jack would, and you dont have to worry about problems that you sometimes get from the normal audio jacks. (such as being stuck in headset mode)

Guest adchaffey

Slightly off track, but does anyone know how long it usually takes for companies (particularly Brodit) to make holders for new phones such as the Kaiser? My contract is up in about a months time, but i don't really want to upgrade until I can mount the phone nicely for sat nav etc.

Cheers.

Guest GordonTGopher
Slightly off track, but does anyone know how long it usually takes for companies (particularly Brodit) to make holders for new phones such as the Kaiser? My contract is up in about a months time, but i don't really want to upgrade until I can mount the phone nicely for sat nav etc.

Cheers.

Some (e.g. http://proporta.com/F02/PPF02P05.php?t_id=...amp;t_mode=cat) have accesories out already, not sure about brodit, but I'm sure it won't be long.

Gordon

Guest juiceppc
What's driving the video in the Kaiser versus the Hermes?

I always thought the proc was used in most of the video playback but my Wizard(overclocked) plays my .wmv's back better than my 8525. So that must not be the case. I too would be curiousl what video chip is used in the Kaiser. If in fact it matters...

Edited by juiceppc

Guest Michael Pang
i would think the kaiser is faster. being it has it's fast qualcomm 7200 chip, more RAM and ROM, more everything!

thats pretty much comparing 2 wm6 devices, 1 fast and new, and one old and slower.

While the datasheet of the new CPU showing it is more powerful, I doubt that how the performance of video playback using TCPMP.

I have done some research on that CPU. Actually, the HTC Mogul shared roughly the same CPU (QUALCOMM 7500) as the Kaiser, but Mogul users saying that the video playback on TCPMP is not that good. I am hoping that in future TCPMP can have some finetuning on this CPU. But seems the development of TCPMP has been stopped since 0.72RC1.

Guest mikeeey
While the datasheet of the new CPU showing it is more powerful, I doubt that how the performance of video playback using TCPMP.

I have done some research on that CPU. Actually, the HTC Mogul shared roughly the same CPU (QUALCOMM 7500) as the Kaiser, but Mogul users saying that the video playback on TCPMP is not that good. I am hoping that in future TCPMP can have some finetuning on this CPU. But seems the development of TCPMP has been stopped since 0.72RC1.

well that doesnt sound right. i mean, the qualcomm 7200 chip is supposed to be able to play back VGA 30 fps now isnt it?

Guest Michael Pang
well that doesnt sound right. i mean, the qualcomm 7200 chip is supposed to be able to play back VGA 30 fps now isnt it?

But it is still depends on what codec is being played.

Different codec requires different CPU power. The CPU required to decode divx/xvid will be a lot different.

Anyway, I think there is no one can answer unless we have the real unit.

Edited by Michael Pang

Guest Syphon Filter
But it is still depends on what codec is being played.

Different codec requires different CPU power. The CPU required to decode divx/xvid will be a lot different.

The codec, the encoding settings used etc...it will all make a difference. You will have to have a play when the device is released and find the best balance of settings to ensure you get decent image quality and acceptable playback.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.