Paul Reviews.... the HTC TyTN II (Kaiser)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Webreaper
Just been discussing this with some friends who are saying 'what does it do that the nokia n95 does not?' I have tried to extol the virtues of the Tytn II and and ran out of words. That was when they said that in order to use the gps the gizmo will use the phone as well - ie. charging you whilst using tom tom. Is that the case?

You can tell your mates that it works just the same as their N95 version of TomTom. ;)

Basically, TomTom has all the map data 'onboard', and the GPS is simply a receiver for the signals being broadcast by the satellites. So there is no data exchange required to use Satnav for navigating. I suspect they are getting middled between GPS and GPRS. The only exception to this is if the satnav software has any real-time traffic info feeds, in which case they may use data for that.

Guest Manni01
You can tell your mates that it works just the same as their N95 version of TomTom. ;)

Basically, TomTom has all the map data 'onboard', and the GPS is simply a receiver for the signals being broadcast by the satellites. So there is no data exchange required to use Satnav for navigating. I suspect they are getting middled between GPS and GPRS. The only exception to this is if the satnav software has any real-time traffic info feeds, in which case they may use data for that.

The GPS chip might also use GPRS to get a first initial fix faster (than downloading info from the satellite). So if you often do a warm/cold fix, that can add up, espectially if you don't have an unlimited data plan. TomTom Navigator also uses gprs to get traffic info, as you've already stated.

Guest bignaz2k
Hi everyone I am new here but I keep refreshing this thread when there is only 20 pages. ;)

I am currently a T-mobile USA customer so, I would like to know whether T-mobile USA will release HTC Kaiser(T-mobile Vario III?) this year in US? If yes, when?

I think if the release is before 10/15, then I will wait for the T-mobile. However, if not, I am gonna buy a unlocked one. Thanks.

It will (most probably) NOT be released on T-Mobile USA.  The phone has 3G wireless data capabilities, something T-Mobile does not support, nor will this phone be capable of supporting

Paul will the TyTN II work with Vista OS? or Does work better with Window XP I do not think this topic has been touch on??

Thanks

it might work better in Vista than XP, so yes it does.

Guest desmondiwang
It will (most probably) NOT be released on T-Mobile USA. The phone has 3G wireless data capabilities, something T-Mobile does not support, nor will this phone be capable of supporting

�when they do. The best you can hope for from them for now is the T-Mobile Wing. Doesn't mean you can't use it on their service, just a bit overkill for them to make

�it available as an official offering.

So yes, long story short, buy the unlocked phone ;)

Thank you for your reply... Seems that an unlocked one would be my only choice.... though that's dam* expensive...

Try Sept 20th now. MP gets credit for keeping their website mostly up to date for stock status, but hitting dates and order strategy seems to be ... <_<

I just got off the phone with MobilePlanet, I was about to cancel my order, the rep assured me they are getting some phones today and will be shipping them tonight.

Edited by Mace

Guest Troxelke

Hey guys,

I couldn't resist anymore... I also ordered one here in The Netherlands! Although I have to wait a week to be delivered (it will be available next week here in NL), it feels a bit closer to the TyTN II already for me.... :D

I am now looking for nice accesoires for my TyTN II... As I will be using the device a lot for listening to music, I found a nice Remote Control from HTC itself: HTC W100 Wired Remote Control . However it is stated that it should be compatible with the TyTN II, could anyone confirm a proper functioning of all buttons? Would be VERY MUCH of help... Thanks :wub:

Now wait for a nice Brodit holder... Knowing Brodit they will not wait too long for that... I hope the connector (possibly with their "molex" connector?) can be equipped in such a way I can charge the TyTN II and simultaniously plug it into my AUX of my car radio... or should I make then a connector myself with for instance an Y-cable that I connect manually to a USB charger + 3.5mm cable... Any idea's? ;)

Guest 1RingyDingy

(I also posted this in AT&T Tilt string)

I visited a local US AT&T company store, and this time instead of the blank look when I mentioned the Tilt, I got an "oh, yeah. But we don't know when." This was from the lead [geed] store sale rep. He had heard of it, and reads some web sites, but had no idea when it would show up. They had not gotten pricing, nor dummies, nor paperwork.

I then started chatting with an asst store manager. He had maybe seen something on phonescoop.com. I gave him this site to get more info, as well as the Howard Forums, and some others.

While we were discussing it (me educating him on the sites and Tilt functions) he got an email, that he is being scheduled for Tilt training during the first few days of October. They should have the phone, er device, a few days either side of that.

I know that it is about a month away, but it is the first solid confirmation I've seen from AT&T that they are going to carry it.

No price structure mentioned, but the store sales rep thought that there would be a rebate right away.

Guest stanchion
Hey guys,

I couldn't resist anymore... I also ordered one here in The Netherlands! Although I have to wait a week to be delivered (it will be available next week here in NL), it feels a bit closer to the TyTN II already for me.... :D

I am now looking for nice accesoires for my TyTN II... As I will be using the device a lot for listening to music, I found a nice Remote Control from HTC itself: HTC W100 Wired Remote Control . However it is stated that it should be compatible with the TyTN II, could anyone confirm a proper functioning of all buttons? Would be VERY MUCH of help... Thanks :wub:

Now wait for a nice Brodit holder... Knowing Brodit they will not wait too long for that... I hope the connector (possibly with their "molex" connector?) can be equipped in such a way I can charge the TyTN II and simultaniously plug it into my AUX of my car radio... or should I make then a connector myself with for instance an Y-cable that I connect manually to a USB charger + 3.5mm cable... Any idea's? ;)

I bought my TyTN II with the "3 in 1 connector" .. it connects the extUSB of the device to a dongle that contains USB2 mini, 3.5mm and extUSB all in one.. so you can charge from your car lighter, listen to headphones and sync with a laptop all at once... :-) ...

strangely the TyTN II does not seem to come with an extUSB -> USB2 "A" adapter in the box.. how the heck are people supposed to install applications with no proper cable? or am I an idiot and missing something here? :-)

Guest NuShrike
"[email protected]" to me

<script>Your order XXXX-XXXX-XXXX has been shipped.

Visit

http://www.mobileplanet.com/tracking.aspx?ref=XXXXX for details.

Congrats! That's pretty quick turn around for something that's out-of-stock on the website.

The website is showing 21st now or 14 working days. <_< Is it 2007 and companies link their inventory systems to the order catalog, or not?

Guest Hightech

MobilePlanet sure loves to go back and forth on the Available due date of the HTC TyTN II they have change date like 3 time already. From 17 to 20 to 21 back to 20 whats the deal with that site...

Guest burrzoo
!!!!!!!

"[email protected]" to me

<script>Your order XXXX-XXXX-XXXX has been shipped.

Visit

http://www.mobileplanet.com/tracking.aspx?ref=XXXXX for details.

Good for you! Glad you were able to "squeeze in" the order!

The wait is killing me. My TyTn II was shipped today. Received the e-mail from Elite-Electronix but it is not scheduled for delivery until 9/13 (sadly, I didn't pay for faster shipping) & also coming out of BLOOMINGTON, IL. Did you have to pay extra for that UK to US A/C Adapter? Now it's time to save up for that 4 GB high capacity microSD card...

Guest Hightech

The wait is killing me. My TyTn II was shipped today. Received the e-mail from Elite-Electronix but it is not scheduled for delivery until 9/13 (sadly, I didn't pay for faster shipping) & also coming out of BLOOMINGTON, IL. Did you have to pay extra for that UK to US A/C Adapter? Now it's time to save up for that 4 GB high capacity microSD card...

Wait a min Elite-Electronix showes they do not have any in stock when I try to check out...

Guest burrzoo
Wait a min Elite-Electronix showes they do not have any in stock when I try to check out...

I'm pretty sure it's because I Pre-Ordered the phone on 8/12/07. So, I would expect no less from them since they advertised it would be in stock today. They have had my money since the 12th too (Unlike mobilePlanet who charges your card when they ship but they were around $45. higher + would have been $65.+ more for tax).

If they are that close to you, do they have a brick and mortar store you could walk into and pick up your new toy when they have it back in stock and avoid the shipping fee and wait time? That would be sweeeeeeeeeeeet!

Sorry you couldn't order today ;)

Edited by burrzoo

Guest Hightech
I'm pretty sure it's because I Pre-Ordered the phone on 8/12/07. So, I would expect no less from them since they advertised it would be in stock today. They have had my money since the 12th too (Unlike mobilePlanet who charges your card when they ship but they were around $45. higher + would have been $65.+ more for tax).

If they are that close to you, do they have a brick and mortar store you could walk into and pick up your new toy when they have it back in stock and avoid the shipping fee and wait time? That would be sweeeeeeeeeeeet!

Sorry you couldn't order today ;)

I call and left them a message hope they call back tomorrow...

Guest burrzoo
I call and left them a message hope they call back tomorrow...

I've had good customer service already. They instantly credited me back 20 bucks when they lowered the order price but I had called and left them a message before that and they never called back. I sent an e-mail and that's what they responded to. Maybe you ought to try the Live Help link on their site tomorrow.. Good Luck!! We need to get these phones A.S.A.P and move over to the new forum where they will be (or are) discussing their views and opinions of their new phones! hahaha..patience grasshopper....

Guest zachto_man

I too received word from Elite-Electronix that mine has shipped today. I also get the 9/13 delivery date though I did pay for 3 day shipping. I am more than a bit peeved about it. Harsher words do pass my lips but are not fitting for public airing.

I really do want this dashed Kaiser

Guest burrzoo
I too received word from Elite-Electronix that mine has shipped today. I also get the 9/13 delivery date though I did pay for 3 day shipping. I am more than a bit peeved about it. Harsher words do pass my lips but are not fitting for public airing.

I really do want this dashed Kaiser

Best you call Elite tomorrow and get a refund on the 3-day shipping! Those shipping charges were expe

nsive to begin with. Let's see how they do with your situation. I'm hoping you get some good customer service. Ground Shipping for me was $14.37 which is pretty pricey (and I'm just up the road from you in Foggy DC).

Guest zachto_man
Best you call Elite tomorrow and get a refund on the 3-day shipping! Those shipping charges were expe

nsive to begin with. Let's see how they do with your situation. I'm hoping you get some good customer service. Ground Shipping for me was $14.37 which is pretty pricey (and I'm just up the road from you in Foggy DC).

I will do that. My - supposed - 3 day shipping which according to the UPS tracking is ground cost $32.07. I was kicking myself for not going next day air. I will post about the customer service experience.

karlo

Ps. Strangely, I am having mine shipped to foggy DC as I am temporarily living in a hotel.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.