MDA Vario II Problems

Guest evolution400

Guest evolution400

Hi Guys I have had a Vario II now for 6 months I am now on phone 3.

Phone 1.

1. Would freeze and not come out of standby only battery in out would restore this would happen about 4 - 5 times a day.

2. Drop calls, not make calls when you have 3 bars etc.

3. Not recieve calls even though inidactor is showing 2 - 3 bars.

4. answer another call waiting would not answer the call but would lock out the line, hang up button would not work for approx 1 min or take out battery etc to reboot to resolve.

I got really ticked off so I decided to call tmobile who sent out a brand new one to swap phones I had to keep battery and sim card etc.

Phone 2 only had this one for 1 day.

1. Unusable would power on get to windows screen if lucky then freeze some times boot fully then freeze.

Phone 3.

1. not taking calls even though showing 2 - 3 bars.

2. When I create an email account it works fine then when I power down the phone and switch it on folowing day the account has disappeared but when I try and create the account again it says account with that name already exists.

So basically phpne 3 has been the mose usable but still not 100% and totally unacceptable for email !

Any idea where the email account data is stored so I can manually delete via the PC ?

Otherwise I have to recreate the account each day with different email account name.

I here that you can unofficailly put on WM6 on the MDA vario anybody else having similar issues then put on WM6 and running ok ?

Any issues with WM6 would you all recomend to do so ?

cheers.

Guest Phil John

Wow, you've been very unlucky, I'm still on phone no 1 with no problems.

Before you even think about putting another rom on there (which WILL void your warranty unless you are very careful and back up your current rom etc.) try a hard reset (softkey1+2 and the reset button) then putting your email settings back in once rebooted. Strangly a hard reset sometimes fixes odd problems.

If you do decide to go to another rom, use Pauls guide to backup your current rom and make sure you install Hard SPL which will protect you from most bricking situations (or at least give you a way to get out of them).

MR Vanx's guides are good for a newcomer to ROM updating, but nothing can beat reading the wiki at xda-developers and a lot of forum posts before you proceed.

Guest crazyc
Wow, you've been very unlucky, I'm still on phone no 1 with no problems.

Before you even think about putting another rom on there (which WILL void your warranty unless you are very careful and back up your current rom etc.) try a hard reset (softkey1+2 and the reset button) then putting your email settings back in once rebooted. Strangly a hard reset sometimes fixes odd problems.

If you do decide to go to another rom, use Pauls guide to backup your current rom and make sure you install Hard SPL which will protect you from most bricking situations (or at least give you a way to get out of them).

MR Vanx's guides are good for a newcomer to ROM updating, but nothing can beat reading the wiki at xda-developers and a lot of forum posts before you proceed.

I would second everything above, and add that I have found the latest WM6 builds to be far better than the WM5 my phone came with. What radio did your phone come with? (Start - Settings - system - device information)

Guest evolution400
I would second everything above, and add that I have found the latest WM6 builds to be far better than the WM5 my phone came with. What radio did your phone come with? (Start - Settings - system - device information)

Hi thanks for teh replys I have done a hard reset 3 times already and I still get the email account dropping off, signal etc

I have followed steps 1 - 4 on the wiki guide dumped OS to RAW then created bin file of current setup so is it now safe to update to WM6? can I just reflash the saved file if it goes wrong ?

Sorry for the Qs I am newbie to these firmware upgrades.

What version is recommended for Vario II

I am running 1.05.05.00 of the radio what do you suggest I run ?

Thanks in advance.

Guest evolution400

I have taken the plunge, backed up my std ROM now flashed to latest bkack Magik.

Can I obtain a t-mobile.cab file for this or do I have to manually enter all details like MMS, GPRS, voicemail etc.

Also is it worth upgrading the radio ?

BEst radio version ?

Where do I get the file to flash the radio ?

thanks

Guest The Doctor
I have taken the plunge, backed up my std ROM now flashed to latest bkack Magik.

Can I obtain a t-mobile.cab file for this or do I have to manually enter all details like MMS, GPRS, voicemail etc.

Also is it worth upgrading the radio ?

BEst radio version ?

Where do I get the file to flash the radio ?

thanks

As radio 1.05 is HTC_Boot 0106 this means if you upgrade to a radio with HTC_Boot 0108 you won't be able to downgrade to your original radio should you ever need to. So the latest HTC_Boot 0107, radio 1.27 if I remember rightly is probably the best...

Phil

Guest crazyc
As radio 1.05 is HTC_Boot 0106 this means if you upgrade to a radio with HTC_Boot 0108 you won't be able to downgrade to your original radio should you ever need to. So the latest HTC_Boot 0107, radio 1.27 if I remember rightly is probably the best...

Phil

I found radio 1.27 to be fine on orange uk. once you get the bug however.....just had to update it. am on 1.40.30 but i understand that 1 of the 1.38s is considered best for uk.

for your purposes 1.27 should do the trick. dunno really how much the difference is once you get beyond 1.27 tho.

Guest UndeadDevil
I found radio 1.27 to be fine on orange uk. once you get the bug however.....just had to update it. am on 1.40.30 but i understand that 1 of the 1.38s is considered best for uk.

for your purposes 1.27 should do the trick. dunno really how much the difference is once you get beyond 1.27 tho.

From what i've read on xda-dev and wmblack's forums:

1.38 is best for Orange

1.41 is best for T-Mobile/Vodaphone

Guest The Doctor
From what i've read on xda-dev and wmblack's forums:

1.38 is best for Orange

1.41 is best for T-Mobile/Vodaphone

Both are HTC_Boot 0108 tho, meaning it will be impossible to revert back to the original radio after flashing...

I'm currently testing 1.43 at the moment, seems marginally better than 1.41

Phil

Guest evolution400

It appears that I spoke to soon hardly any calls getting through even though bars are 2 - 3 and when I try to dial it says dialing some time for about 2 mins and doesnt make the call and now my email account has disappeared again if it helps it was when I rebooted the phone it said no GSM then lost my email account and started all the call issues could that be a radio issue ? but what about it actually rermoving the email account from the list and when I try and create an account of the same name it says its there ?

Does anyone know where on the phone the email accounts are stored so maybe I can manully delete ? I dont want to do another hard reset I have done more than a Tmobile repair person in this last week I think :)

or in you guys opinion is it time to call tmobile and get another phone sent out ?

thanks.

Guest evolution400

Hi guys decided to send the phone back and switch it 3 phones with issues is a bit too much for me I have been told I can have any mobile on the t-mobile range what you guys thinkg of the MDA Compact III/ O2 Orbit ?

Also I have a RAW dump of my O/S which I now need to put back on so whats the best way to do this or if you can point me to a guide or if there are any T-Mobile flashes available ?

Thanks a lot.

Guest evolution400

Hi guys I exchanged phone 3 for another Vario II all was going well with WM6 Black then after a long trip using tomtom and using it for internet connection sharing now the touch screen fails to work its not losing the settings because if you leave it cool down i.e dont use it at all for say 10 mins the screen will work again during this time the buttons and scroll wheel work fine so its not craching is it worth doing a factory reset ?

Do you thin this is WM6 Black related or the phone ?

I love the MDA when working really dont want to chnage phones :)

thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest porcospino

Just like to chime in with some recent personal experience. I've had my MDA Vario II for a couple of months now, and was enjoying everything except the quality of voice calls. I churned from O2 to get the "unlimited" data Web'n'Walk plan, but had some reservations about T-Mobile coverage. I thought I'd be OK, as I'm in central London, and the Street Check said "excellent" coverage for 3G and GSM/GPRS.

Unfortunately call quality was atrocious. It reminded me of BT Cellnet circa 1997 -- dropped calls, robot voice, all that nonsense. I was going to call customer services to have a moan when I found this thread about upgrading the radio stack. The T-Mobile ROM for my HERM300 came with Radio version 1.05.05.00, so I had a look for a stack compatible with my Bootloaders -- SPL 1.04 and Rversion 0107.

http://wiki.xda-developers.com/index.php?p...ractedRadioRoms

Someone mentioned the 1.27.00.00 radio had problems with GSM data calls. Not sure if I was bothered by that, I played it safe and went for 1.20.31.10, which everyone seems to agree is very stable. Call quality is now out of this world. I'm not getting dropped calls, don't have to wander around like some idiot out of Trigger Happy TV to get a signal, and it holds 3G for much longer. Happy days.