VoIP / Cellular auto switch?

Guest fraktal

Guest fraktal

Many of our phones have Wi-Fi, and I'm sure quite a few of us use some form of VoIP, and probably some of us use VoIP on our WiFi phones. Personally, I haven't, because I've always thought that the interface would be clumsy and effectively having two phone apps on my phone would be difficult to use (eg, one would hog the hardware buttons, getting used to two GUIs, etc).

Ideally, my phone would just have one dialler, and when I'm in range of my home Wi-Fi network, it would use that, and when it's not, it would use GSM. Does anyone know of a piece of software that does this? If there isn't one, why not?

I have uncovered a program called CiceroPhone (or Cicero Phone) which claims to do this, but all the screenshots are of some old WinCE version, and in any case they don't seem to sell to end-users, they're more interested in licensing to other companies. Has anyone got or used this software?

Guest edgecrush3r
Many of our phones have Wi-Fi, and I'm sure quite a few of us use some form of VoIP, and probably some of us use VoIP on our WiFi phones. Personally, I haven't, because I've always thought that the interface would be clumsy and effectively having two phone apps on my phone would be difficult to use (eg, one would hog the hardware buttons, getting used to two GUIs, etc).

Ideally, my phone would just have one dialler, and when I'm in range of my home Wi-Fi network, it would use that, and when it's not, it would use GSM. Does anyone know of a piece of software that does this? If there isn't one, why not?

I have uncovered a program called CiceroPhone (or Cicero Phone) which claims to do this, but all the screenshots are of some old WinCE version, and in any case they don't seem to sell to end-users, they're more interested in licensing to other companies. Has anyone got or used this software?

Well... The main problem with WiFi stacks on phones, is that its either ON or OFF.

What you/i/we can do, is write/get a small application that reconizes the CELL_ID (of the GSM Basestation).. So when you are in that area, it will turn on/off WIFI.. There is such a tool listed on this forum somewhere recently.. (forgot the name, sorry).