MMS download as reduced resolution

Guest barfoo

Guest barfoo

I am having a problem with MMS. when i recieve an MMS pic the image is automatically reduced to 160*120. i send it from my other phone as a 640*480, My mms settings are the correct. I can send out at the full resolution. I am wondering if anyone is having the same problem as I am. I have searched through oogle and found someone with same problem but for a sony erricson. I called tmobile and they said that i have a non TMO phone that's why it wont work. Which is a lie becuase i have always had unlocked unbranded phones and they recieve MMS just perfect without reducing the resolution. IF anyone can helps please let me know thanks

Guest Doktor M@buse

This needn't to be a phone related problem.

Some network provider re-arrange MMS for more compatibility for all devices.

I did the following test a few minutes ago:

I've send a MMS from T-Mobile including a picture (jpg) 2048x1536 pixel.

The image has not been resized (!) before sending and remained the same size after sending on the 'source-phone'.

It arrives at Vodafone on my HTC Vox in 640x480 pixel (~30kB).

I did the same test once again using another Nokia mobile as 'receiver' (Vodafone, too) with the same result.

Do you have sent your MMS within the same network? I have no two SIM cards which use the same network in order to test.

Edited by Doktor M@buse

Guest conan_troutman

got to your mms folder and select options from the menu then account options then MMS check that the option to send oictures is set to use original resolution

Guest barfoo

Yes I have the TmoUs settings that i found on here. I can send out the pics in the original resolution that they were taken in. Its just recieving the MMS that the pics are reduced. I've already hard resettedt the phone to clear out if it had any bug configured the settings and still nothing.

NOTE* this phone has never been branded i purchased already unlocked. I dont know if anyone has this problem as well. I figured maybe someoen would know if there was a registry tweak that i could do ive looke but i could not find anything.

Well I will conitnue to look thanks for your help

• 6 months later...
Guest haybale

Hi, did you ever fix this problem?? I'm having exactly the same issue.

All my received mms pictures come it at 5kb, but seems to send out fine.

I'm running an E650 on O2 payandgo

Guest Doktor M@buse
This needn't to be a phone related problem.

Some network provider re-arrange MMS for more compatibility for all devices.

I did the following test a few minutes ago:

I've send a MMS from T-Mobile including a picture (jpg) 2048x1536 pixel.

The image has not been resized (!) before sending and remained the same size after sending on the 'source-phone'.

It arrives at Vodafone on my HTC Vox in 640x480 pixel (~30kB).

I did the same test once again using another Nokia mobile as 'receiver' (Vodafone, too) with the same result.

Do you have sent your MMS within the same network? I have no two SIM cards which use the same network in order to test.

I have to quote myself. :)

It is not a phone problem regardless which manufacturer. You cannot solve the issue with your phone.

Edited by Doktor M@buse

Guest haybale
I have to quote myself. :)

It is not a phone problem regardless which manufacturer. You cannot solve the issue with your phone.

I rang O2 today, they said as far as they were concerned everything was running fine, the picture messages were coming thru so the settings were correct.

They told me to look at the setting on the phone. But as you say, there doesnt actually appear to be any settings to change.

More than likely O2 talking rubbish especially when they dont even support the phone!!!!

Help................!

Guest haybale
Hi, did you ever fix this problem?? I'm having exactly the same issue.

All my received mms pictures come it at 5kb, but seems to send out fine.

I'm running an E650 on O2 payandgo

I was wrong, it doesnt send mms as normal, they are at a reduced rate as well. both are around 10% that of the actual file size???

Any ideas........

Guest haybale
I am also having this problem on O2 monthly, did anyone ever resolve?

Nothing yet, spoke to O2 again today, and they thought it could have been because i was using a pay and go sim, and it could work with a contract sim instead, but you have just proved that wrong.

Ive also spoken to HTC tech boffins who sent me the following:

It appears that when you receive an MMS, the network tries to find out what handset you are using and scales the picture bigger or smaller so it can be displayed on your screen. As you are using an O2 SIM with a Orange branded phone, O2 cannot determine what handset you are using and so, to be safe, scales it to a small size so that you can see the entire picture. Therefore, if you were able to use an Orange SIM in the Orange phone, the image would display normal.

To check that your settings for the Internet are set up correctly, I have included the settings for O2 Pay As You Go.

Here are the settings you need for your device:

?WAP

Tap Start then Settings

Tap Connections, then Connections

Tap Advanced

Tap Select Networks

Tap the New... button under Programs that automatically connect to the internet should connect using

In the Enter a name for these settings field, enter O2 WAP

Tap on the Modem tab and then tap the New. button

In the Enter a name for the connection field, enter O2 WAP

In the Select a modem menu,? select Cellular line (GPRS) or Cellular line (GPRS, 3G)

Tap Next

In the Access Point Name field, enter payandgo.co.ukand then tap next

In the Username field, enter payandgo

In the Password field, enter password

Leave the Domain field empty.

Tap Finish

Tap the Proxy settings tab

Tick the This network connects to the internet box

Tick the This network uses a proxy server to connect to the internet box

Tap the Advanced button

Tap on HTTP

In the Server field, enter 193.113.200.195

In the Port field, enter 9201

Tap OK twice

In the Programs that automatically connect to the internet should connect using menu, select My ISP.

Tap OK

MMS

Tap Start then Settings

Tap Connections, then Connections

Tap Advanced

Tap Select Networks

Tap the New... button under Programs that automatically connect to the internet should connect using

In the Enter a name for these settings field, enter O2 MMS

Tap on the Modem tab and then tap the New. button

In the Enter a name for the connection field, enter O2 MMS

In the Select a modem menu,? select Cellular line (GPRS) or Cellular line (GPRS, 3G)

Tap Next

In the Access Point Name field, enter wap.o2.co.uk and then tap next

In the Username field, enter o2wap

In the Password field, enter password

Leave the Domain field empty.

Tap Finish

Tap the Proxy settings tab

Tick the This network connects to the internet box

Tick the This network uses a proxy server to connect to the internet box

Tap the Advanced button

Tap on HTTP

In the Server field, enter 193.113.200.195

In the Port field, enter 9201

Tap OK twice

In the Programs that automatically connect to the internet should connect using menu, select My ISP.

Tap OK

Tap Start

Tap Messaging

Tap Menu, Tools and then Options

Tap MMS

Tap the Servers tab

Tap the New button

In the Server name field, enter O2

In the Gateway field, enter 193.113.200.195

In the Port number field, enter 9201

In the Server Address field, enter http://mmsc.mms.o2.co.uk:8002/

In the Connect Via menu, select O2 MMS

Set the Sending size limitation to the maximum available. (this may incur extra charges with your network. Consult your network for charges for large MMS messages)

In the WAP Version menu, select 1.2

Tap OK Three times

Now im a complete noob, (apologies if im asking a stuoid question here) im asuming the the S710 and E650 roms must be different to the point of different menus????? as the mail they sent me and menus they quoted didnt tally with the menus i was looking at on my phone..........

Totally confused me, so if anyone can confirm this to me its something else to look at!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, i googled this exact problem and found this thread! i have exactly the same problem with a samsung d880 on 02. i have two different O2 contract sim cards and they are both the same. the d880 is not availble in the UK so am stuck with both O2 and samsung. i have obtained the correct mms settings from the net and compared them to to the settings on my Nokia 6233 and SE W810i and they are identical. If a i send a 24KB (480x640) picture to the D880 it appears as a very small picture about 4KB (60x80) in size. a 4KB pic is next to uesless!It appears as 24KB picture before it is downloaded. after downloading it is around 4kB! i dont have the same problems when i recieve mms messages on the nokia or SE. i also heard from a Malaysian D880 owner who doesnt have the same problems over there! is it my phone or the settings?? to top it all of the ebay seller i purchased the phone off isnt replying to messages asking for a replacement! anyone got any ideas because i have tried playing with all the settings on this phone but have got nowhere. Cheers

• 3 months later...
Guest Ydenyse
I am having a problem with MMS. when i recieve an MMS pic the image is automatically reduced to 160*120. i send it from my other phone as a 640*480, My mms settings are the correct. I can send out at the full resolution. I am wondering if anyone is having the same problem as I am. I have searched through oogle and found someone with same problem but for a sony erricson. I called tmobile and they said that i have a non TMO phone that's why it wont work. Which is a lie becuase i have always had unlocked unbranded phones and they recieve MMS just perfect without reducing the resolution. IF anyone can helps please let me know thanks

I use my Vox on T-Mobile in the USA and I was getting small MMS pictures (but sending was fine). These settings worked for me (Using Mobile Registry Editor):

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\ArcSoft\ArcSoft MMS UA\Config\mm1\WspHeader]

"User-Agent"="prodigy/arcsoft-mmsua-ppc-3.0.0.xx"

"Profile"="http://www.htcmms.com.tw/gen/vox-1.0.xml"

"Accept-Charset"="us-ascii, utf-8, iso-10646-ucs-2, ISO-8859-1"

"Accept"="application/vnd.wap.mms-message;*/*;"

"Accept-Language"="en"