Tornado Windows Mobile 6 ALPHA Released !!!

Guest xxxxchrisxxxx

I've installed it too... very impressed.

Currently there is no possibility of MMS with this ROM but it will probably be sorted in the next release.

For an Alpha release, it is very good.

The download includes several CAB files that once installed address several of the bugs in the ROM. I believe these CABs will be integrated into the next ROM release.

It's definately a big improvement over WM5.

Guest duke_stix

developed BY 'the doctor' and the initial build and work was started by me!

and it is very very quick for anyone who's wondering! and its no more playing around with mtty to flash, will also be looking into a workaround for the teraterm pro step at the beginning!

Guest mikeeey

my device is a LOT faster now that i have wm6, but only 1 thing it's doing wrong.

when i try to make calls, i press the green button, and nothing happens until about 6 or 7 seconds after pressing it. same with answering, i try to answer and i cant hear anyone until about 6 or 7 seconds later. by then they're already saying "Hellllooooo??"

any solution?

Guest mikeeey
my device is a LOT faster now that i have wm6, but only 1 thing it's doing wrong.

when i try to make calls, i press the green button, and nothing happens until about 6 or 7 seconds after pressing it. same with answering, i try to answer and i cant hear anyone until about 6 or 7 seconds later. by then they're already saying "Hellllooooo??"

any solution?

nvm, its being duscussed here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread...586&page=50

and it's believed to be camera build 4.00 effecting the call dialing and recieving.

Guest tamanaco

Insteresting... I'd like to test this WM6 Alpha ROM, but what if it does not meet my expectations? I guess what I'm looking for, before I brick my phone, is a step-by-step process for backing up and restoring the current ROM in my WM5 Qtek 8310. Can someone point to a wiki or thread where this backup/restore process is discussed in detail? A while ago I ran accross a ROM restore process, but using a ROM image for the sp5 available from the imate site. I know that both the 8310 and sp5 are the same HTC phones, but there are some differences in the ROMs.

Thanks...

Insteresting... I'd like to test this WM6 Alpha ROM, but what if it does not meet my expectations? I guess what I'm looking for, before I brick my phone, is a step-by-step process for backing up and restoring the current ROM in my WM5 Qtek 8310. Can someone point to a wiki or thread where this backup/restore process is discussed in detail? A while ago I ran accross a ROM restore process, but using a ROM image for the sp5 available from the imate site. I know that both the 8310 and sp5 are the same HTC phones, but there are some differences in the ROMs.

Thanks...

Maybe a backup of WM5 with Sprite backup could work.

Guest ericboy

thank you very much phil for this great rom a really liked it..i dont think i'll be going back to wm5 waitng for the next release thanks again

Guest tamanaco
Maybe a backup of WM5 with Sprite backup could work.

My understanding is that Sprite backup only backs up applications, application data and settings. As far as I can tell it does not backup the ROM.

Or you could just re-run a shipped WM5 AKU2 update...

Phil

I have not been tinkering with my phone for quite some time, so I'm a bit rusty. Is the AKU2 update a "full" ROM? I updated my Qtek to ROM Version: 2.0.9.0 about a year ago. Is this the same as the AKU2 update?... I forgot.

I like the idea of having WM6 in my old reliable 8310, but I think I'll wait just a little bit longer to see if they fix some of the missing features.

Guest Paraklas

My i-mate sp5 has been running WM6 since last week. it took me around 15 minutes to read instructions and apply them. Very easy procedure as long as you don't skip any steps. no crashes and seems more stable than the existing official WM5 rom. GPRS works fine, Wi-Fi works fine, doesn't drop phone calls, battery life is same/better, it's faster and richer in applications (mobile office, acrobat, etc).

Guest andy_sutton
My i-mate sp5 has been running WM6 since last week. it took me around 15 minutes to read instructions and apply them. Very easy procedure as long as you don't skip any steps. no crashes and seems more stable than the existing official WM5 rom. GPRS works fine, Wi-Fi works fine, doesn't drop phone calls, battery life is same/better, it's faster and richer in applications (mobile office, acrobat, etc).

Just curious, once you finished the install how much internal storage was left? With the Tornado's puny 64mb of ROM I have to install nearly everything on the SD card. Wondering if WM6 was slimmed down or fattened up from WM5.

Guest evolution400

Just thought I would post my views:-

Installed this release on my V1240/SP5/QTEK 8310 very quick and easy if you follow the instructions, installed all CABS and specific software evyerthing is working great much faster and smoother, TOMTOM mobile works fine, my bluetooth GPS and Earpiece, GPRS, Internet connection sharing, WIFI.

I would recomend installing the "tornado power control" tool which adjusts the CPU to what yoru doing if it needs a bit extra it adjusts it to 233mhz when its quiet lowers it to 180mhz etc.

I have about 15mb left after installing all my apps and CABS on the device.

I think the only known issues so far are camera is a bit fuzzy and no MMS capability ?feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

Keep up the good work guys long live the tornado !!!! :)

Guest evolution400

You can use another MSS utility such as ArcSoftMMSClientRUS-wm05.cab I installed this and tested works fine just not a very good interface but sent and recived a message no problems. I am sure it will be fixed in next release though :)