The official UBiQUiO 503G 'Ask Paul' thread

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)

Hey peeps, i'm BACK!

Not only that, i'm back and I have a new device to share with you all... presenting the UBiQUiO 503G :)

The follow up to the basic but keenly priced and overall well received 501, the 503G raises the game considerably with a smarter look and the following specs (from the UBiQUiO 503G home page):

• 3G HSDPA 3.6 Mbps Wireless Data Connectivity
thumb_18-Jul-2007_503g.PNG

• Fast operation with 520MHz Processor & 96MB RAM

• Generous 192MB ROM for application storage

• Touch screen & QWERTY or AZERTY keyboard

• Includes free USB sync & charge cradle

• Operating System: Windows Mobile® 6 Professional

• Processor: 520MHz Intel XScale 270 + Qualcomm 6280

• Memory: 96MB RAM, 192MB ROM

• Display Type: TFT LCD Touchscreen

• Display Resolution: 2.4” QVGA 320 x 240

• Input Type: Stylus, QWERTY or AZERTY Keyboard

• Network Bands:

- Quad-Band GSM/GPRS/EDGE 850/900/1800/1900 MHz

- WCDMA / UMTS Tri-band 850/1900/2100 MHz

- HSDPA 3.6 Mbps

• Connectivity: USB, Stereo Bluetooth 1.2 (A2DP), WiFi (b/g)

• Card Slot: microSD

• Main Camera: 2.0 Megapixel with Macro Focus

• Sub camera: 0.3 Megapixel for video conferencing

• Battery: Rechargeable, removable 1500mAh

• Dimensions: 123 x 65 x 17mm (4.84” x 2.56” x 0.67”)

• Talk time: Up to 4 hours; 250 hours standby

I'll be preparing a full review of course, but in the interim, feel free to hit me up with any questions you might have!

I'm also interested to hear people's thoughts on the device? Do you like / not like the look / specs? Might this be the device for you? Is the lack of GPS (probably the only notable omission an issue)? Have your say! :P

P

PS Note this unit is not UBiQUiO branded, and there will be a few other minor cosmetic tweaks prior to the full launch, however I will be reviewing this model and (as in the case of the Kaiser / P4550), updating the review when I receive the full production unit.

Guest Dumdidum

Impressive specs for a 2.4'' Screen-device!

520Mhz XScale + a Qualcomm will give lots of power... Too bad it has no GPS in it.

1500mAh Battery... not bad, though the XScale and the Qualcomm CPU will consume a lot...

Guest adamzeit

Nice job Paul! This device looks awesome...! May even pre-order this from MobilePlanet here in the US....looks like it has all the tools - and then some! Currently I have the Dopod C730 (for about a week now) and I like it a lot....BUT - the 503G seems to "complete the picture" for me in terms of WM 6 Pro....touch screen, faster processor, more RAM - and what looks like (from photos only) a Keyboard that may type a bit "cleaner" then the C730. Although, it does look a bit thicker and overall bigger then the C730...do you have any thoughts on the "feel" of the device when talking, emailing, etc? Don't want to go much bigger at all then what I have already.

Thanks - keep up the great work!

Guest ripnet

Ive always thought that lack of VGA or VGA+ screen is a serious ommision from a WM6 phone.

Now ive been using the G900 for a couple of weeks, I am 100% certain. Its like night and day. Proper web browsing, proper remote desktop, many contacts in list, many texts in list etc.

I wouldnt even consider buying a device with qvga now, in fact im keeping my g900 despite the 'interesting' lockup issues...

g

Paul, looking forward to your review. Can you please get screen shots of the CPU speed and Memory config? very interested in that, as i have heard totally different from the specs you listed. and if those really are the specs, that should explain the extra 2mm thickness, as it was originally supposed to be 15mm.

I can confirm the CPU and memory specs match my handset.

P

very interesting indeed, thanks paul. looking forward to your review, when should we expect it?

Guest jarod_lavay

I too am eagerly awaiting your review. In the mean time would you be willing to run a small test application for me on the 503G you have? It's a small .NET Compact Framework application that will test if managed applications can interact with the camera.

Guest jarod_lavay
Er, isn't that a standard CF function?

P

It is supposed to be standard but the silly device makers do not always do what they are supposed to do. ETen has many devices where the camera can not be called upon from .NET CF.

Edited by jarod_lavay

Guest jarod_lavay

Hi again Paul,

Attached to this message is a zip file with the EXE in it. It's super basic so no CAB installer is needed. Just run the EXE and click the Start Camera menu item on the left. The camera dialog will appear, simply take the picture and save it. After the picture is saved the focus will return to the EXE and you will see that it has loaded the saved pic into the screen in a scrollable region. If you can test this it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

CamTest.zip

Guest bigneeker

hey paul

can we get some more comparison pics please?

what kind of cosmetic changes will be done to the device (imo its not really a looker)?

thanks

Guest jfriedli

Can't wait to see your detailed review. I ordered one last week and have been checking the posts on various blogs every day for more info. I currently have a Blackjack and love the size/keyboard. I just wish it was a touch-screen device, which is why I'm interested in the 503G. Do you have a Blackjack to compare it with in a photo? Also could you post a pic of it side by side with your 8525?

Guest MitchellO

Like the specs (although no GPS is a bit odd considering the competition these days) but it looks so weird! Like one of those Symbol industrial PDAs.

And it looks like it "borrowed" the Treo 750 keyboard design/layout :)

Guest rp1790

does it come with a case or something? Also, the main thing for me is that it seems rather big, how does the size feel?

http://www.pdadb.net/index.php?m=specs&id=777&view=1 This is what I'd really like, same sort of specs and has GPS and it's way smaller. Anyone know where I can buy one? Think I'll get a 503G in the meantime but it does look good, at least on paper.

Guest Paul (MVP)

Size doesn't feel too bad, it is quite big height wise, but it's fairly thin and quite light.

No case is included, it is being sold seperately. A cradle is included however.

P

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.