The official UBiQUiO 503G 'Ask Paul' thread

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)

I found this issue when I pressed the dot at the same time as another key. If I pressed it THEN another key seperately, it was OK.

P

Guest fire007

My ROM is 02.06.1_S0707161621(12.190)

BSP Revision: 02.06.01_S0707161543(12.190)

it's strange that michehrlich doesn't have the same issue as the ROM seem to be the same....

I disabled the word recognition and auto-correction....nothing helps. Just cannot use it. Or I use it like press A...wait...pres B...wait...pres C....wait... :-)

Guest fire007

Another issue is to set volume during a call, this is a real challenge. Now I've got it somehow, you have to play with the scroll wheel, push it and scroll a bit, then with a bit luck you are able to adjust it, but it is not very clear and easy.

Have they sent me a pre-production unit or what? This is not a realy wise approach for a start-up brand..

Guest michehrlich
Another issue is to set volume during a call, this is a real challenge. Now I've got it somehow, you have to play with the scroll wheel, push it and scroll a bit, then with a bit luck you are able to adjust it, but it is not very clear and easy.

Have they sent me a pre-production unit or what? This is not a realy wise approach for a start-up brand..

The sroll wheel, when pressed, sometimes invokes in-call volume and at other times puts the call on hold. I've not been able to work out a pattern for this, so it's not clear to me whether there are in fact any design intentions here or whether this is random unforeseen behaviour. I've looked in the manual and there isn't any mention of either function, and a UBiQUiO manager tells me that using the scroll wheel to control in-call volume is not foreseen so far, although they do not rule out including it in a future ROM.

Guest michehrlich
ok I'm going to send my unit back to expansys. this is too much to me. I get no money for being a beta, or actually an alpha-tester.

I'm definitely keeping mine, as it's the only device on the market right now that can support all the things I need to do with a mobile device. If I were into sliders then I might consider an HTC TyTN or Kaiser, but I find the candybar form factor to be faster.

Basically, it's a mobile productivity tool, so as long as it lets me get the job done quickly then I can live with imperfections.

Guest fire007
I'm definitely keeping mine, as it's the only device on the market right now that can support all the things I need to do with a mobile device. If I were into sliders then I might consider an HTC TyTN or Kaiser, but I find the candybar form factor to be faster.

Basically, it's a mobile productivity tool, so as long as it lets me get the job done quickly then I can live with imperfections.

I'd be happy if I saw it in the same optimistic way like michehrlich. Unfortunately the reliable text entry is Prio No. 1 for me and this is not provided by the 503G at this moment.

I mean I have the Moto q9h as well at this moment so for me it is impossible to forget about that bug. With Moto you're just tyyyyyping...without taking care of anything. With UBI I need to type slowly and watch the entered texty continuosly and just pressing backspace and coreeeeecting.

Guest david_g

Hi. I have just purchased a UbiQUiO 503G and have the keyboard issue and its virtually unusable.

When I type fast (or even moderately), it doesn't recognise half the letters and I get complete gobbledegook. If i really slow down it does okay but its very frustrating. This is a major deal breaker for me and I'd have to return it if it is. For example, typing "Hi my name is David" quickly produces "h my naei davd". I have turned off word completion etc but no impact.

Also, I cannot get a 3G or 3.5G network. My settings are correct, I have Web N Walk and it works fine in the same location on my HTC S710 and Nokia E90. The "Add new Connection" doesnt even offer me it in the drop down menu - simply the GPRS line.

This is all very frustrating. Please help as I am getting desperate. My E90 has the awful MFE or Roadsync, S710 too slow, worried I won't like the Kaiser as I never got on well with the TyTN. I really need the 503G to work!

Thanks

David

Guest david_g
Use the GPRS selection, that also applies to 3G. UBiQUiO told me they were going to rename that!

P

Thanks Paul. Just returned the device. Left this on the Expansys forum also but thought I'd post here as I'm a regular reader:

"The 503G is being returned to Expansys I'm afraid which is a shame because I really like the keyboard - very much like my old Treo 650 from a couple of years back. Reasons are:

• Typing issue is ridiculous and unusable. I have to really concentrate to keep my typing slow enough so its no good.
  • The special character comment from michehrlich was okay and worked but again, its not intuitive so no go.
  • The device hung 3 times and I've only had it since 11 am.
  • Doesn't pick up 3G network even though my E90 and SE P1i do (both from Expansys too - we are good customers ;-) )

• Form factor. As a result, I may go back and look at the Treo 750 when the WM6 Update is released.
    • Screen was nice (bit washed out in the sun at lunchtime but that's touchscreens in general not the 503G).
    • Seemed pretty quick.

Anyway, the quest for my own device goes on. I am lucky enough to get to play with most devices (our company does mobile software). Maybe I just need to pick one and stick with it warts and all. I guess its either stick with the E90, try the Kaiser/TyTN II (although i didnt get on with TyTN very well) or buy a Treo 750 and upgrade to WM6. Any views?"

ReplyEdit

Guest david_g
Use the GPRS selection, that also applies to 3G. UBiQUiO told me they were going to rename that!

P

Thanks Paul. Just returned the device. Left this on the Expansys forum also but thought I'd post here as I'm a regular reader:

"The 503G is being returned to Expansys I'm afraid which is a shame because I really like the keyboard - very much like my old Treo 650 from a couple of years back. Reasons are:

• Typing issue is ridiculous and unusable. I have to really concentrate to keep my typing slow enough so its no good.
  • The special character comment from michehrlich was okay and worked but again, its not intuitive so no go.
  • The device hung 3 times and I've only had it since 11 am.
  • Doesn't pick up 3G network even though my E90 and SE P1i do (both from Expansys too - we are good customers ;-) )

• Form factor. As a result, I may go back and look at the Treo 750 when the WM6 Update is released.
    • Screen was nice (bit washed out in the sun at lunchtime but that's touchscreens in general not the 503G).
    • Seemed pretty quick.

Anyway, the quest for my own device goes on. I am lucky enough to get to play with most devices (our company does mobile software). Maybe I just need to pick one and stick with it warts and all. I guess its either stick with the E90, try the Kaiser/TyTN II (although i didnt get on with TyTN very well) or buy a Treo 750 and upgrade to WM6. Any views?"

BTW, its the need to use Mail for Exchange or Roadsync that kills me wth the E90. Really awful after the native email on my S710 (last device i used for more than 3 weeks!)

ReplyEdit

Guest Paul (MVP)

Here's an interesting thing tho... I helped Expansys test the 501 upgrade which has just been released, and the 503G. I highlighted the keyboard issue on both, and it is fixed in the 501 WM6 upgrade. This bodes well for the 503G, although it's a case of the sooner the better of course.

P

Guest fire007

just returned home and I again had to take the 503 into my hands :-( Yes it would be THAT device.

guys another interesting thing is the memory, let's compare with your units:

Storage

Total: 192 MB

In use: 156 MB

Free: 35 MB

Program

Total: 95 MB

In use: 71 MB

Free: 25 MB

Nothing installed, it's completely blank.

This topic is being discussed on Ubiquio's support forum as well: http://www.expansys.com/ft.aspx?k=95530

I am really desperate....I WANT THIS DEVICE, but ......

Guest fire007

Volume adjustement during call - THING:

has anyone figured out how to do it "officialy" or is that previously mentioned workaround with the scroll wheel the only chance how to set the volume?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.