HSDPA enabled on T-Mobile web n walk

Guest milleracer41

Guest milleracer41

I signed up last week to the T-Mobile Web N Walk Plus FlexT25 plan.

Went for an HTA Vario II.

So far, my speeds are pretty slow.

I know there are a ton of threads on this subject, my apologies for starting another one but I wanted to check something with those on a similar plan.

When you access "My T-Mobile" online, what should it say in there as far as HSDPA goes?. A few threads I have read here state that there should be a mention of "HSDPA 384k Uplink Activated" in there, but when I look in my settings, I see this:-

tmobileuo8.jpg

The "Web N Wap 384k Up/2048 Down" item in the listing, is that HSDPA switched on and activated?.

Will call CS on 150, but I wanted to check here first to see if anyone had any ideas.

Thanks.

Edited by milleracer41

Guest pd.ryder

T-Mob have told me that even on my W&W basic, I get HSDPA everywhere there's a 3G signal available and my 348up/2048down is 'On' as well. I think thats it mate. Web pages tend to load a bit on the slow side and there's lots of compression of jpg images done their end to lower bandwidth use, and there's often a DNS delay too. If you do download files from Clickgamer (or anywhere else) they really do whizz along. Try a speedtest from www.dslreports.com-mspeedjisok=1 and see what you get.

:)

Guest jchamier
The "Web N Wap 384k Up/2048 Down" item in the listing, is that HSDPA switched on and activated?.

I'm on WNW Plus (with the MSN usage/PC connectivity and 3gb usage), and using this site:

http://www.dslreports.com/mspeed?jsiok=1&more=1

I click on the 1MB download, and I just had a reported speed of 384kbps, which I reckon is due to the cell site being busy. Around midnight I usually get around 1.1mbps. Also when plugged into my PC.

I had the same results on WM5 and now the same on WM6.

Guest milleracer41
I'm on WNW Plus (with the MSN usage/PC connectivity and 3gb usage), and using this site:

http://www.dslreports.com/mspeed?jsiok=1&more=1

I click on the 1MB download, and I just had a reported speed of 384kbps, which I reckon is due to the cell site being busy. Around midnight I usually get around 1.1mbps. Also when plugged into my PC.

I had the same results on WM5 and now the same on WM6.

I went to the dslreports speedtester for mobiles in the link above.

Clicked on the "100k" option and it gave me this result:-

29 kbit/sec

7.274s latency

30.14s d/l time

Any ideas?. That looks painfully slow to me!!!.

Clicking on the "50k" option gives me these results:-

44 kbit/sec

2.383s latency

11.402s d/l time

Edited by milleracer41

Guest jchamier
Any ideas?. That looks painfully slow to me!!!.

Looks like you're on a cell site without 3G. Do you have 3G disabled on your Vario? (Under phone settings, band, network type dropdown, you can choose Auto or GSM, if you select GSM, then 3G is disabled. Newer roms show WCDMA as an option as well - this is 3G).

3G is needed first, and should give 300kbps approx, and then HSDPA is faster again, on WM6 you get an "H" icon in the top line when HSDPA is active, but it doesn't mean its faster... depends on the number of connections etc at that time.

Guest milleracer41

In those band settings, I have two drop down boxes. Both are showing "Auto".

If I look in the "Select your GSM/UMTS band" one, it gives 3 options.....

Auto ( which its set at )

GSM(900+1800)+UMTS(2100)

GSM(1900+850)+UMTS(1900+850)

Guest shadamehr

Right mate...

For me, when I log into my T-Mobile etc, then click the option to "Add a bundle" to get towards where you saw the 3G item, i get a choice of TWO options:

"View or modify features of your price plan"

But underneath that section there is another section with an option:

"View or modify additional allowances and services"

If I choose the first I get a list similar to your own:

WAP Call On None

VoiceMail On Settings

SMS Text Messaging On None

Voice & Data Roaming On None

Call Waiting On Turn off? None

Call Hold On None

Call Forward to VoiceMail On None

International & Premium Calls On None

Mobile email Off None

HOWEVER... If I choose the SECOND option - view or modify additional allowances, THIS is where I see the stuff realting to my HSDPA:

18 Month Upgrade Flag £0.00 Billed ends 03/09/2007

Capped Data Rate £0.00 Billed

HSDPA 384k Uplink £0.00 Billed

Remove Content Lock £0.00 Billed

Video Calling £0.00 Billed Settings

I must point out though, that this is not a lot more revealing than your own, AND I am an original terms and conditions Web n Walk Customer, so this might explain the different sections and where it is located for me.

But I should also add I had to ring up to get HSDPA added, at the time when there was some controversy as to whether standard WnW customers were meant to be allowed it.

I got it added no problem though - but not sure what this means in real terms - sure i sometimes get around 1MB download speeds, and with the latest WM6 Rom on my Vario 2, I get the 3G symbol when connected, but this now changes to an H symbol when actually transferring data. And the Operator Info field bubble on my device indicates something like "T-Mobile HSDPA" when connected and sending data.

Hope this helps.

Guest milleracer41
I had HSDPA enabled when I got my Vario II (3 months ago), so maybe new customers get it activated by default now?

Not too sure about that, I signed up with them and bought my Vario II last Saturday and I dont seem to have HSDPA mentioned anywhere in "My-T-Mobile"!!!.

@shadamehr...In that section you mention regarding "View or Modify Additional Allowances and Settings" I have the following:-

18 Month Upgrade Flag £0.00 Billed ends 21/12/2008 1pix.gif1pix.gif1pix.gifBusiness Services Package £0.00 Billed Settings 1pix.gif1pix.gif1pix.gifCapped Data Rate £0.00 Billed 1pix.gif1pix.gif1pix.gifItemised Billing £0.00 Billed Delete Replace 1pix.gif1pix.gif1pix.gifRemove Content Lock £0.00 Billed 1pix.gif1pix.gif1pix.gifVideo Calling £0.00 Billed Settings Delete Replace 1pix.gif1pix.gif1pix.gifWeekend Calling £0.00 Billed Settings 1pix.gif1pix.gifNo mention of HSDPA anywhere.

I guess I am going to have to call CS and ask. Do CS enable HSDPA or will, like I have read a few times here, have to as to be put through to Tech Support?. My Web N Walk plan is the "Plus" one with the 3Gb cap and the use of the phone as a modem connected to a laptop, so I'm thinking I am entitled to ask for it to be switched on without any of this hassle I have also read about regarding CS saying "No, cant do that"?.

Also, on a related subject, I dont seem to see the "3G" symbol anywhere on the handset display. It shows "G" but not "3G"?.

Apologies for all the questions, but my previous phone was a Sony K750i, this is my first PDA phone and its taking some getting my head around!!.

Edited by milleracer41

Guest pd.ryder

It sounds to me like you have no 3G signal where you are and you're getting GPRS speeds. Check out T's map of signal / reception availability. You should have a whopping '3G' showing that it's available to you right in the middle of your top bar. If its not there, you're only getting GPRS.

:)

Guest milleracer41
It sounds to me like you have no 3G signal where you are and you're getting GPRS speeds. Check out T's map of signal / reception availability. You should have a whopping '3G' showing that it's available to you right in the middle of your top bar. If its not there, you're only getting GPRS.

:P

Checked T-Mobile's coverage maps for 3G for where I am just now ( at work ).

Its saying "No Coverage" for 3G, sadly.

However, if I put my home postcode in, which is about 15-18 miles away from work, it shows 3G coverage is good.

That said, at home, I still dont get the 3G symbol to show up and going by the speeds I posted last night, the Vario is hooking into GPRS.

So now I'm even more confused!!. :)

Guest pd.ryder

I've found myself that T's "public" map (the one you, me and everyone else sees) is generally one signal point above the one T's CS staff access - ie if ours says 'Good', theirs will say 'Fair' etc. A 'Fair' signal in my experience will not penetrate your average wall (by this I don't mean 3 feet of Cotswold stone, just a brick and breeze-block type). I have drawn their attention to this, although I doubt they will actually do anything about it.

Try your VII outdoors at home ( :) ) and see what happens - I bet you get about 3 bars of 3G - whilst inside the house you'll get jack-sh*t.

:P

Guest milleracer41

Bit of an update.

Called 150 today and spoke to a very helpful chap in Tech Services.

Asked him to add HSDPA to my account, he checked my details and said I should have had it already, but he would add it right now.

The system would not let him so he put me on hold for a few minutes to check things.

Came back and said it was already in there, even though it was not showing the "HSDPA 384k Uplink" item in "My T-Mobile". Said all new subscribers get it automatically if its applicable to their individual price plan, which mine is.

However, when I asked him why I was only able to get a GPRS signal and no 3G coverage, he checked their coverage system and said I should be getting 3G indoors at around 3 bars and outside at around 4 bars.

He then came to the conclusion that it was more than likely the handset wasnt playing ball. Said to take it back and get a replacement, try that and if I still have problems, call back.

Hoping that is indeed the problem, faulty handset. Will pop into the store on Monday and sort it out.

Have to say he was very helpful on the phone and seemed to know exactly what he was talking about.

Fingers crossed!!!.

• 1 month later...
Good luck. I hope a handset change gets you sorted.

;)

Hi there.

Just looking for an update on this and also to ask about other people's speeds.

Did you get HSDPA working? Did they clarify whether there is any difference between regular web'n'walk and web'n'walk pro?

I've got a new phone (not a Vario II) but HSDPA enabled and seem to only get c.300kbps

Tried technical suppport a couple of times but they have no idea.

Central London so should be HSDPA.

anyone help?