HTC Tytn to Samsung SGH-i600?

Guest whatever92

Guest whatever92

Hi everyone,

I've finally had enough of my T-Mobile MDA Vario II (HTC Tytn)..

I've had it for 5 months but have had lots of problems with it - freezes *all* the time (especially when on the charger).. needs to be reset 2-3 times per day.. drops calls.. won't connect calls (often takes 6-7 attempts before it will connect, even with good reception).. call quality is often terrible (cut in and out - often I can't understand what the other person is saying or they can't understand me.. even with perfect reception on both ends).. volume control is terrible (sometimes the person on the other end will sound ridiculously loud or so soft I can barely make out what they are saying).. the phone functionality is very clunky.. the o.s. is slow..

I've read stuff about setting it to just GPRS to possibly fix some of these problems but I bought this thing for its HSDPA..

All I want is something that has HSDPA, push email, a qwerty keyboard and is *actually usable* as a phone.. Therefore, I'm considering getting the Samsung SGH-i600..

Has anyone here changed from a Tytn to the Samsung? How do you find it? Do you miss the bigger/touch screen? Is the o.s. speed of the Samsung ok? Is call quality good (as the reviews say)? Is it comparable to a real phone? (e.g. a sony ericsson or nokia)

Thanks!

Guest pierre
Hi everyone,

I've finally had enough of my T-Mobile MDA Vario II (HTC Tytn)..

I've had it for 5 months but have had lots of problems with it - freezes *all* the time (especially when on the charger).. needs to be reset 2-3 times per day.. drops calls.. won't connect calls (often takes 6-7 attempts before it will connect, even with good reception).. call quality is often terrible (cut in and out - often I can't understand what the other person is saying or they can't understand me.. even with perfect reception on both ends).. volume control is terrible (sometimes the person on the other end will sound ridiculously loud or so soft I can barely make out what they are saying).. the phone functionality is very clunky.. the o.s. is slow..

I've read stuff about setting it to just GPRS to possibly fix some of these problems but I bought this thing for its HSDPA..

All I want is something that has HSDPA, push email, a qwerty keyboard and is *actually usable* as a phone.. Therefore, I'm considering getting the Samsung SGH-i600..

Has anyone here changed from a Tytn to the Samsung? How do you find it? Do you miss the bigger/touch screen? Is the o.s. speed of the Samsung ok? Is call quality good (as the reviews say)? Is it comparable to a real phone? (e.g. a sony ericsson or nokia)

Thanks!

Hi,

I possess both of them. I first got the Tytn 1 year ago, and the Samsung last March. I tried using the Samsung, but it quickly ended up in a drawer... Not that it's bad or giving me troubles, but, as you say, I quickly missed the rich features of the Tytn.

To me, it all depends on what one likes and wants. The tytn is a PDA, while the Samsung is clearly a Windows Mobile Smartphone. If your intention is mostly do do emails, I guess the i600 should be good enough. If you're a techno freak, the Tytn is absolutely great.

2 remarks:

-I'm really about the issues you mentioned with your Tytn. I suggest you to check what's wrong and find a fix (maybe upgrade your rom to WM6?)

-It seems Samsung is about to release a WM6 upgrade for the i600, which can be a plus.