Hermes / T-Mobile Vario II Uk

Guest funy

Hi there,

I've just joined the forum as im about to buy the vario II hopefully (maybe the III if i can afford it).

I was just wondering if there are any users of the uk t-mobile branded model. I looked at one in the shop and their dummy model had a very odd looking interface on it, I expected it to have the normal windows mobile look like the other variants (02/voda/orange).

Can anyone confirm if t-mobile have replaced the interface? or if this is just a silly picture put on to display what it can do?

I've used pocket pc before on an old ipaq, i assume you can still create and or download new themes for them?

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Ben

Guest pd.ryder

Hi funy,

Welcome to the forum :) I think you'll find it a superb resource when using a PPC or Smartphone.

The Today screen on the VII is extremely customizable (check out the 'Downloads' section on here) and I suspect T-Mobile have stuck a bizzare picture on the front of their dummy. If you're in a propper T shop, ask to see the VII - they're very willing to please even if you're not buying 'today' - and they will have a real one you can have a good old mess with.

Enjoy :P

Guest milleracer41

Hi funy,

Like you, I'm a newcomer to these forums and PDA phones as well.

I got a Vario II about 10 days ago from T-Mobile on their FlexT-25 Web N Walk Plus plan.

So far, I'm very impressed with the handset and its features, although I'm having a few other issues which I have recently posted about, to do with speed and coverage regarding connection.

I would recommend the Vario II from T-Mobile. If I can get this speed problem sorted out I will be very happy. The T-Mobile Customer Support and Tech Support is excellent and as far as I can tell, UK based, which makes a pleasant change!!.

I'm sure many experts here will be able to answer any questions you have on the subject, and perhaps I can help with any you have as a "newbie" to these phones, as thats exactly what I am....!!!.

Gotta say these forums are excellent, the response I have had so far from everyone has been brilliant. :)

Guest jchamier
I've just joined the forum as im about to buy the vario II hopefully (maybe the III if i can afford it).

Welcome to the MoDaCo forums! I bought a Vario II at the end of Sept last year and love it. I get about 1.2mbps sitting in my front room, so very pleased with the HSDPA support. I would suggest you might want to wait and get a WM6 model if it appears soon (I've put WM6 on mine, but obviously that's voided any warranty).

I was just wondering if there are any users of the uk t-mobile branded model. I looked at one in the shop and their dummy model had a very odd looking interface on it, I expected it to have the normal windows mobile look like the other variants (02/voda/orange).

My Vario II had the t-mobile extra menu bar across the top, and the web n'walk theme, but you can switch that off in the settings for the today screen. Otherwise its pretty much identical to a colleagues work provided M3100 (except Orange remove MSN, which T-mobile keep - but you need to be on wnw plus to use legally).

I've used pocket pc before on an old ipaq, i assume you can still create and or download new themes for them?

I think you can, but I've just used the standard theme (blue on wm5) with wallpaper, does me :-)

James

Guest thereaperman

i have had mine since the v2 launched last year. i am very pleased with it. I do not have any issues with but that may be due to me running a custom wm6 rom(as said before voiding the warranty maybe)

thanks everyone, i might look at putting on this wm6 rom ive been reading about at some point. by the looks of things my voda contract doesnt expire till march :P ( thought it was earlier.

i might downgrade my contract and then jump ship (less payout then) but this might mean i end up with the mda vario III / htc kaiser which is due in sept apprently.

thanks for your help :)

Guest FrankyG

I would concur with the above statements, it's a great device. I had to send mine back due to a screen alignment issue (well documented) and T-mobile gave me a brand new Vario II which was nice. I've also flashed a new custom WM6 custom rom which I have to say is really excellent! (It's Schaps 3.57 ROM if you're interested - CLICK HERE for more info) but do remember that your warranty is void. Having said that, it didn't make a blind bit of difference to me getting mine replaced, as my first Vario II had also been flashed to WM6. I will probably sell my new Vario II to fund my next phone....which will be....the Vario III :)

I would concur with the above statements, it's a great device. I had to send mine back due to a screen alignment issue (well documented) and T-mobile gave me a brand new Vario II which was nice. I've also flashed a new custom WM6 custom rom which I have to say is really excellent! (It's Schaps 3.57 ROM if you're interested - CLICK HERE for more info) but do remember that your warranty is void. Having said that, it didn't make a blind bit of difference to me getting mine replaced, as my first Vario II had also been flashed to WM6. I will probably sell my new Vario II to fund my next phone....which will be....the Vario III :)

it'll be interesting to see how much the subsidised vario III will be, probably quite high considering the built in gps. I almost wouldnt mind getting one without as you can buy a gps receiever off ebay for £20 heh.

Guest UndeadDevil
it'll be interesting to see how much the subsidised vario III will be, probably quite high considering the built in gps. I almost wouldnt mind getting one without as you can buy a gps receiever off ebay for £20 heh.

LOL! The Hermes has built-in GPS! It just doesn't have a antena connected/drivers. So charging alot more more for a bit of metal would be very stupid.

Guest Starscreamer
LOL! The Hermes has built-in GPS! It just doesn't have a antena connected/drivers. So charging alot more more for a bit of metal would be very stupid.

I have been reading a good few forums now but still don't know if it is possible to activate the GPS built into the VARIO II? Also, if one was to buy the Vario II with co-pilot, would the GPS then work with TOM TOM and other GPS software? It seems such a shame for the device to have a GPS receiver built in but not activated to force people pay extortionate process for the co-pilot version. It costs the same amount as a stand alone GPS receiver extra!!!

Can the missing antenna be purchased and fitted and then the appropriate drivers installed?

I really want a VARIO II but the only thing holding me back is this GPS issue. I would love to use built in GPS with it. I don't know how T-Mobile have the face to charge so much extra for an antenna!

Guest pd.ryder
I have been reading a good few forums now but still don't know if it is possible to activate the GPS built into the VARIO II? Also, if one was to buy the Vario II with co-pilot, would the GPS then work with TOM TOM and other GPS software? It seems such a shame for the device to have a GPS receiver built in but not activated to force people pay extortionate process for the co-pilot version. It costs the same amount as a stand alone GPS receiver extra!!!

Can the missing antenna be purchased and fitted and then the appropriate drivers installed?

I really want a VARIO II but the only thing holding me back is this GPS issue. I would love to use built in GPS with it. I don't know how T-Mobile have the face to charge so much extra for an antenna!

This 'built-in' GPS issue has been talked about a lot within this forum, but those who know far more than I concluded it wasn't possible to activate it in the Hermes. The Co-Pilot editions are supplied with a Bluetooth GPS receiver.

Sad, but true.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest FragMeister

As explained previously, the reason the Hermes has GPS is because it shares the same processor/internals as the Trinity, but as it has no antenna, you are most unlikely to get any signal, even stood on the summit of Mt Snowdon, and def not in the middle of a city.

Sharing the same "internals" across a number of devices is cheaper for HTC even if some of the capabilities the hardware provides go "unused".