Random fact of the day - Pocket PC 'Run' box

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)

Did you know there was a 'run' dialogue on Pocket PC? No? Neither did I :P

post-1-1186041952_thumb.jpg

From 'wmexperts'...

Raise your hand if you knew Windows Mobile had a native equivalent to desktop-Windows’ “Run” dialog box (ok, put them down now, no one can see you anyway). We were surprised to learn that too!

Apparently, a coupe nifty button presses will bring up a command line execution dialog, allowing you to execute programs straight from anywhere in the OS. To bring up this “run” dialog, simply hold the “action” key (it’s that center key on your d-pad) while you tap-and-hold the clock icon in the upper right of your screen. You’ll see the Windows Mobile equivalent of the “Run” box, from which you can execute applications. Try these out:

calc.exe

iexplore.exe

ctlpnl.exe cplmain.cpl,4,0

This little trick will work on PocketPC and Professional editions of Windows Mobile - which is to say, the touchscreen versions of WM5 and WM6. But, apparently, Palm Treo 750 is a no-go.

Kinda cool in a 'it's pointless and i'll probably never use it' kinda way, right? ;)

P

PS Works on my P4550 :)

Guest Rob.P

'it's pointless and i'll probably never use it' - your absolutely right, but I still find it fascinating that it's got the feature, wonder what else is lurking in the OS we haven't found yet?

Guest Driekus
This little trick will work on PocketPC and Professional editions of Windows Mobile - which is to say, the touchscreen versions of WM5 and WM6.

This works on my WM2003SE HTC Magician too, so not just WM5&6...

Edited by Driekus

Guest xeron

This worked on my HP Journada 548 on the original Pocket PC operating system back in 2000/1(?). It was the easiest way to run the program that turned the screen to landscape mode and back.

..so its been there from the start. :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.