"Power Surge on USB Port" when Vario II connected

Guest milleracer41

Guest milleracer41

I use my Vario II in conjunction with my Dell C400 laptop as a modem to connect online.

I connect it via a PCMCIA USB 2.0 card fitted to the laptop.

Lately, when using the Vario as a USB modem on Web N Walk Plus, I have been getting an error and a pop up balloon on the taskbar informing me that there has been a "Power Surge detected on the USB Port".

I then lose connection and the only way to get it back is to restart the laptop. After the error appears and I loose connection, the USB port does not detect anything, even the ActiveSync does not kick back in as it should when you stop the modem on the Vario II. The only way to fix it is to restart the PC.

This has only started happening recently, at the start when I first got the phone this problem was not apparent at all.

Has anyone else been getting an error similar to this or had one before?.

I dont suspect the handset is at fault as it works perfectly on my desktop PC without any such errors.

Its only ever the Vario II that triggers this error off. I have connected a webcam and a couple of Flash pen drives with no problems either.

Edited by milleracer41

Guest pd.ryder

It sounds to me like the charging circuit of the VII is overpowering the USB card you're using, so the lappy is turning it off. You could try ensuring the VII is fully charged before connecting it to the lappy, although the very fact that you're using the 3G connection means it's going to be power-hungry anyway.

Can you power the USB card separately, using an a/c adapter? (I don't have one so I don't know if that's even possible.)

:)

Guest jchamier
I use my Vario II in conjunction with my Dell C400 laptop as a modem to connect online.

I connect it via a PCMCIA USB 2.0 card fitted to the laptop.

Do you have any USB ports that are not using a PCMCIA card? Even if USB 1.1, its worth a try. I don't think the Vario II (Hermes) is USB 2 enabled, as its a new feature for the Kaiser.

Guest Dr Puttingham

I had this issue on my older IBM Thinkpad, quite annoying. I simply turned off the notification via device mangler.

I did a quick search and found this which i quote below.

Issue: Work around for the USB power surge alert message. User may see the following messages:

Power Surge on Hub Port

A USB device has exceeded the power limits of it's hub port. For assistance in solving this problem, click this message

Cause: USB devices may draw a maximum of 500 milliamps (mA) per connection. With the release of SP2, if a device attempts to draw more than this, a USB port balloon message is displayed to indicate this over current condition. When docking the tablet, a very brief over current condition is sometimes detected by the OS, and the warning message is displayed. This message has no affect on the functionality of the USB port.

Resolution: To prevent seeing the USB Power Surge alert message, complete the following steps:

Click on START

Click on CONTROL PANEL

Double-click on the SYSTEM icon

Click on the HARDWARE tab

Click the DEVICE MANAGER button

Click the “+” next to Universal Serial Bus Controllers to expand the selection.

Right-click and select PROPERTIES on the Intel® USB UNIVERSAL HOST CONTROLLER (not the USB Root Hub)

Click the ADVANCED Tab

Check the box that says: “Don’t tell me about USB errors”