sgh-i600 Voice Assist missing

Guest botto

Guest botto

Howdy

Apparently the i600 is supposed to have Voice Assist as part of the on-board applications....well mine doesn't. I am not sure if VA is even part of the ROM (South African version i600xxGE1). I can find no reference to it in the registry either. Does anyone know if it is part of the ROM by default which can be activated via admin settings or by some other means? Will WM6 update resolve my problem?

Any help will be appreciated!!

Botto :)

Guest dario_s
Does anyone know if it is part of the ROM by default which can be activated via admin settings or by some other means? Will WM6 update resolve my problem?

If you really need Voice Assist, upgrading to WM6 will definitely help you. Both the generic ROM XXGD1 and the European versions of the WM6 ROM contain Voice Assist application.

Just make sure that you closely follow panateo's instructions for upgrading to WM6.

D.

Unfortunately, the application is totally useless, despite setting "low" or "high" sensitivity it keeps launching whatever program or calling people whose names sounds not even close to what u were sayng. On the street or in the room when TV or music is on, you don't event have to say anything, just launch VoiceAssist and it will call somebody for you :)

Guest botto
Unfortunately, the application is totally useless, despite setting "low" or "high" sensitivity it keeps launching whatever program or calling people whose names sounds not even close to what u were sayng. On the street or in the room when TV or music is on, you don't event have to say anything, just launch VoiceAssist and it will call somebody for you :P

Thanks for the feedback, now I am not reallt sure that I "need: the voice assist app. I primary want it to provide voice dialling when connecting to my Garmin GPS when on the road.

I am seriously considering goinf for the WM6 upgrade, but I am nervous I am going to brick it. I am running the South African version i600JCGE1 which appears to be a very stable version but lacks certain apps. If I follow Panateo's method I get 4 options for country under the admin setting,

South Africa

Tunisia

Nigeria

I notice that when switching to default, the i600 works perfectly and I can use any SIM in it. The only noticable difference is that the MMS and GRPS settings disappear, but I can manually configure it.

Is it really worth going for WM6?

It's just in my nature to upgrade if I can....dunno why. Anyone know of a support group for compulsive upgraders????? Am I the only one with this disease???? :)

Guest dario_s
If I follow Panateo's method I get 4 options for country under the admin setting,

South Africa

Tunisia

Nigeria

Please read his instructions carefully.

You won't see Netherlands or any other country as an option in this system menu UNLESS you upgrade to XXGD1 firmware first.

After you have flashed your phone with XXGD1, you can select Netherlands (or another country), and then proceed to upgrade to WM6.

D.

Guest X-Ray A4T

Hi botto,

I upgraded my South African i600 today. I had to upgrade to the European version first. It did not procedure too smoothly though as the upgrade to the European version always seemed to stop with the timer showing. I tried a couple of times but it never completed. I kept needing to remove the battery to reboot. After a couple of frustrating tries I checked the admin settings and noticed that the firmware update had happened. The only hassle I then had was that I had to swap my almost fully charged extended battery for my fully charged slim battery to convince the WM6 upgrade to happen. I then switched to default default in the admin settings. I contacted Samsung SA yesterday for an ETA on WM6 in SA and they were just useless :P

The voice assist now works and better still I can now activate it from my bluetooth car kit!

Good Luck

Ray in Jo'burg

if you have hassles mail me on xraya4t at gmail dot com, I'll be at work tomorrow after a lazy public holiday.

Thanks for the feedback, now I am not reallt sure that I "need: the voice assist app. I primary want it to provide voice dialling when connecting to my Garmin GPS when on the road.

I am seriously considering goinf for the WM6 upgrade, but I am nervous I am going to brick it. I am running the South African version i600JCGE1 which appears to be a very stable version but lacks certain apps. If I follow Panateo's method I get 4 options for country under the admin setting,

South Africa

Tunisia

Nigeria

I notice that when switching to default, the i600 works perfectly and I can use any SIM in it. The only noticable difference is that the MMS and GRPS settings disappear, but I can manually configure it.

Is it really worth going for WM6?

It's just in my nature to upgrade if I can....dunno why. Anyone know of a support group for compulsive upgraders????? Am I the only one with this disease???? :)

Hi botto,

I upgraded my South African i600 today. I had to upgrade to the European version first. It did not procedure too smoothly though as the upgrade to the European version always seemed to stop with the timer showing. I tried a couple of times but it never completed. I kept needing to remove the battery to reboot. After a couple of frustrating tries I checked the admin settings and noticed that the firmware update had happened. The only hassle I then had was that I had to swap my almost fully charged extended battery for my fully charged slim battery to convince the WM6 upgrade to happen. I then switched to default default in the admin settings. I contacted Samsung SA yesterday for an ETA on WM6 in SA and they were just useless :P

The voice assist now works and better still I can now activate it from my bluetooth car kit!

Good Luck

Ray in Jo'burg

if you have hassles mail me on xraya4t at gmail dot com, I'll be at work tomorrow after a lazy public holiday.

Hi X-Ray

Thanks form the confidence booster. As I said the main reason for going for the upgrade was to get voice assist for my bluetooth kit. I too tried Samsung SA where the only response I got was "Voice what? No I dunno......is it not in the box?" Well, when I asked about the official upgrade to WM6, the Samsung dude scratched his head, looked at a co-expert and mumbled the words "WM6 huh!!!!??" After observing a glazed look on both their vacant faces I relealized that the Great News had not yet reached Samsung SA and training is still required to more intelligently tell consumers to Sod off!!

Anyway, my extended battery is on charge and slimmy is fully loaded. I expect to go in to surgery at about 10:00 and am holdinh thumbs.

By the way, does your bluetooth, WiFi, GSM, HDPSA etc work after the upgrade? I am with Vodacom and have made a back-up of all settings...hope I haven't missed any.

I was concerned that I was going from an E1 version to D1 (downgrade first) that might not work but you have eazed my mind.

Will let you know how the surgery went.

:) Botto

Guest X-Ray A4T

You will need to manually add the gprs settings APN : internet : as it does not have the Vodacom settings, I set-up as default default rather than a Europeen country otherwise everything is fine. Just remember to set your locale to English(South Africa) and your timezone to GMT+2 Pretoria. HSDPA works fine, Bluetooth improved and I managed to sync via bluetooth too, Live messenger works.

Ray

Hi X-Ray

Thanks form the confidence booster. As I said the main reason for going for the upgrade was to get voice assist for my bluetooth kit. I too tried Samsung SA where the only response I got was "Voice what? No I dunno......is it not in the box?" Well, when I asked about the official upgrade to WM6, the Samsung dude scratched his head, looked at a co-expert and mumbled the words "WM6 huh!!!!??" After observing a glazed look on both their vacant faces I relealized that the Great News had not yet reached Samsung SA and training is still required to more intelligently tell consumers to Sod off!!

Anyway, my extended battery is on charge and slimmy is fully loaded. I expect to go in to surgery at about 10:00 and am holdinh thumbs.

By the way, does your bluetooth, WiFi, GSM, HDPSA etc work after the upgrade? I am with Vodacom and have made a back-up of all settings...hope I haven't missed any.

I was concerned that I was going from an E1 version to D1 (downgrade first) that might not work but you have eazed my mind.

Will let you know how the surgery went.

:) Botto

Ok, all went well and I know have WM6. Was it worth it.....well yes, I think so. The improvement in speed alone makes the upgrade worth while but I fully agree with Zet above that Voice Assist is a lot of crap and is usless, but the improved Bluetooth functionality is nice allowing my car kit to see the address book and present the full CLIP. There is still no support for distinctive ring tones for contacts which is a pity. Still need to explore some more and finalise some settings.

I'll be back....

• 2 months later...

Hi

I'm also in South Africa.

Can you send me a link to Panateo's instructions.

Also, do you know where to get the customization settings / network settings. Or, alternatively, could you mail them here?

• 3 weeks later...