What happened to Word, Excel etc. in WM6?

Guest Alpha4

Guest Alpha4

I've upgraded my SGH-i600 to WM6 following the excellent guides and tips in the big 'Firmware' thread in this forum. Many thanks all who contributed. I couldn't have done it without you.

However I have one question; What happened to the WM Pocket MS Word and Excel that I read was included in the WM6 upgrade?

Thanks

Guest maiaawa
I've upgraded my SGH-i600 to WM6 following the excellent guides and tips in the big 'Firmware' thread in this forum. Many thanks all who contributed. I couldn't have done it without you.

However I have one question; What happened to the WM Pocket MS Word and Excel that I read was included in the WM6 upgrade?

Thanks

Samsung preferred piscal viewer over pocket office and didn’t include it as a part of the upgrade. I was really expecting MIDP 2.0 support in the WM6 and unfortunately it’s not there as well :)

I posted some information and links to the extracted cab for pocket office (smartphone); it was removed as it's not allowed to publish copyright material on this forum. If you search for WM6 and Pocket Office in "the search engine" you will find the same.

Hope it helps.

M

Edited by maiaawa

Guest Alpha4
Samsung preferred piscal viewer over pocket office and didn’t include it as a part of the upgrade. I was really expecting MIDP 2.0 support in the WM6 and unfortunately it’s not there as well :P

I posted some information and links to the extracted cab for pocket office (smartphone); it was removed as it's not allowed to publish copyright material on this forum. If you search for WM6 and Pocket Office in "the search engine" you will find the same.

Hope it helps.

M

Thanks maiaawa, I'll have a look about :)

Guest Fate-X-

Hey Guys try this it is Mobile Office extracted from i607 WM6

as I see nothing illegal about this so I will post it

edit : you might not do, but I would beg to differ

Edited by Disco Stu
removed ROM extract link

Hey Guys try this it is Mobile Office extracted from i607 WM6

as I see nothing illegal about this so I will post it

According to Microsoft © ™ (whatever), Office is a part of their new WindowsMobile 6 operating system. So...how could it be illegal to install office in our legally obtained WM 6 ?

BTW it would be interesting to find out why Samsung removed it from the update and is this move legal ?

edit : perhaps you could ask Microsoft for a copy then :)

Edited by Disco Stu
removed ROM extract link

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Dave Haas
According to Microsoft © ™ (whatever), Office is a part of their new WindowsMobile 6 operating system. So...how could it be illegal to install office in our legally obtained WM 6 ?

BTW it would be interesting to find out why Samsung removed it from the update and is this move legal ?

Windows Mobile, just like its sibiling Windows CE, is a core OS with optional software items. MSFT Office suite is not a neccessity for WM6 to function, and I would imagine Microsoft allows the OEM to include/remove it at their descretion. Why Samsung opted away from including it in the i600 firmware (and using its Picsel Viewer instead), who knows. I have a feeling they'll do that with the i607's firmware too... <_<

But, like others said, you can find the extracted version of WM6 Office somewhere, and there is always the pay software Documents to Go (which seems to be a better product than the MSFT stuff).

Guest Disco Stu

As some of you suspected, the redistribution of ROMs or bits of same is considered illegal and therefore against forum rules.

Yes, we have some of them - see link top left :P :)

Posts will be censored by myself or my moderation team if:

- They link to illegal ROMs or sites hosting them

- They link to other illegal content or sites hosting them (eg Smartphone ROMs, Illegal Smartphone games etc. etc.)

If anyone has a licence to freely redistribute the extracted Mobile Office files then do get in touch !