Interested in a Kaiser "group buy" or a MoDaCo branded group buy?

Guest FlangeArtist

Guest NuShrike
According to Google, the £484.95 price on Expansys UK is $973.68. That's a good $174 more than MobilePlanet/MobileCityOnline/EliteElectronix. Is that right?
E-Gadget Depot is $795.00 w/o possible tax, unlike MP, plus some car charger accessory and they will price-match.

Guest Webreaper
- TyTN II

- MoDaCo Ad Free 1 year subscription (£9.99 value)

- MoDaCo CamerAware lifetime subscription (with special TyTN II skins available!) (£19.99 value)

- £10 off your next purchase of £20 or over at Expansys (£10 value)

- An accessory (perhaps car charger or extUSB adaptor or microSD - to be confirmed) (approx £10 value)

At the risk of sounding ungrateful, can't see what the deal is there. :wub:

I mean, CamerAware is fine, but there's alternatives which are free, and given that I don't drive much and don't speed much ;) it's not a huge benefit to me. I'll be running TomTom in the car...

Modaco ad-free is nice, but not worth a huge amount (other than hiding ads) and doesn't actually cost you anything. And besides, running firefox with AdBlocker+ I get it pretty much ad-free anyway. Does Ad-Free include all the software you get when you normally sign up to Modaco?

£10 off your next expansys purchase isn't a deal - frankly if I've just spent the thick end of £500, getting a tenner off another purchase isn't going to excite me.

Car charger or ~1GB MicroSD - nice, but again, not exactly thrilling.

After all the build-up I was kinda hoping you'd be leveraging the Modaco traffic-flow to hammer out a killer deal, like £50 off plus some killer freebie. I know 5 other non-modaco people thinking of buying Kaisers, so we could probably get an equivalent (better?) deal just by going direct to Expansys.

Never mind. <sigh>

Any ideas when your contract deals will become available, and what they might be?

Guest Manni01

Thanks for your efforts Paul for putting this deal together!

It's very interesting especially given the fact that the expansys price is not too bad compared to the competition (around £15 more than the best deal I could find) but:

- What about contract renewal? I'm on Vodaphone 75 with no will to change my plan, so how much would the device cost and when will it be possible to buy it with such a plan?

- Will we still be able to use the Expansys "3 month free push exchange email when buying any smartphone", that's roughly a £15 value which I plan to use!

- It would be nice to be able to chose the free accessory within a list or even better to get an additional discount against one access you buy at the time of purchase. We all have some already (for example I have a car charger and a 4gb micro sd) so it would be more useful and better value to get a choice.

- Do you have an idea of the features added/missing for the voda and t-mobile version compared to the HTC original (apart from being unlocked of course)? That would help us to make a choice...

Thanks again for your efforts!

Edited by Manni01

Guest Paul (MVP)
After all the build-up I was kinda hoping you'd be leveraging the Modaco traffic-flow to hammer out a killer deal, like £50 off plus some killer freebie

To be honest, i've been clear from the outset what the deal was likely to be.

The margins simply aren't big enough, and the volumes won't be high enough to enable that kind of discount.

How many people will buy the bundle? I don't know for sure of course, but it's not going to be hundreds of people I doubt on such a premium product. If there are that many preorders then great, maybe we can do something extra, but if not then I think we're putting together a decent deal, bearing in mind everyone else who buys from Expansys will be paying exactly the same and getting none of the extras!

P

Guest Paul (MVP)
- What about contract renewal? I'm on Vodaphone 75 with no will to change my plan, so how much would the device cost and when will it be possible to buy it with such a plan?

I'm not familiar with how Expansys deal with such upgrades.... however this offer won't specifically exclude anything they currently do on their normal sales.

- Will we still be able to use the Expansys "3 month free push exchange email when buying any smartphone", that's roughly a £15 value which I plan to use!

I believe so, yes.

- It would be nice to be able to chose the free accessory within a list or even better to get an additional discount against one access you buy at the time of purchase. We all have some already (for example I have a car charger and a 4gb micro sd) so it would be more useful and better value to get a choice.

That would be cool, and i'll float the idea, but I suspect the admin overhead will make it difficult.

- Do you have an idea of the features added/missing for the voda and t-mobile version compared to the HTC original (apart from being unlocked of course)? That would help us to make a choice...

Definitely no HTC Home plugin, Windows Live TBC.

P

Guest Paul (MVP)

Contract deals will appear as soon as T-Mo push the pricing details through to their dealers, and the deal will be the same or very similar to the above, although with the benefit of being able to line up a killer price due to the network subsidy.

P

Guest Webreaper
Where? :wub:

There are plenty of camera DBs. And there's the other well-known free alternative to cameraware - it's known as "a light right foot". :D

Fair points about the deal. You never answered about whether the Modaco 1-year deal includes all the bundled software that normally comes with a Modaco sub. If it did, then that makes it far more attractive from my PoV. ;)

Guest Paul (MVP)

Ah, missed that question! No, 'Ad Free' is a completely ad free site, as opposed to 'MoDaCo Plus' which is the full monty ;)

We could potentially upgrade it to MoDaCo Plus if we got enough buyers :wub:

P

Guest FlangeArtist

75 people currently interested, and at the Expansis price of £484.95 (inv VAT), that makes a hefty purchase power of £36,371.25. Surely this would qualify for a bulk price discount?

Guest FlangeArtist
75 people currently interested, and at the Expansis price of £484.95 (inv VAT), that makes a hefty purchase power of £36,371.25. Surely this would qualify for a bulk price discount?

Would really like to know today or tomorrow what the MoDaCo package is acutally going to be and to be able to order. According to Expansis they are ready to ship in 8 days! *whoo*

Guest Webreaper
Ah, missed that question! No, 'Ad Free' is a completely ad free site, as opposed to 'MoDaCo Plus' which is the full monty :wub:

We could potentially upgrade it to MoDaCo Plus if we got enough buyers :D

Ah, right.

Yes, would be good. Suggesting that Modaco ad-free is "worth £9.99" is slightly stretching it, IMO. ;)

Whereas adding Modaco plus to the bundle would actually be a benefit.

Guest blade-jac

will three be picking up the KAISER.. they seem to be the only other company with a data package comparable to T-Mobile

And will there be a contract buy for the HTC model rather than T-Mobiles "shiny" version

Guest Webreaper
will three be picking up the KAISER.. they seem to be the only other company with a data package comparable to T-Mobile

Orange, Voda and T-Mob all have 'unlimited' data tariffs costing sub-£10. O2 are the only carrier who don't do a sensible residential data tariff.

Guest Paul (MVP)

If 75 people really ordered, we might be able to do something, but just because 75 registered, doesn't mean they all will actually order ;)

We can't base the package on a set number of orders until such time as that happens.

Let's get it online, and see how it goes!

P

Guest Manni01

Thanks for your reply to my first batch of questions...

I had a look at the page, but the 3 months free push email is not accessible from the special Modaco deal page. Could you check with expansys whether the offers are mutually exclusive? Thanks.

Edited by Manni01

Guest Paul (MVP)

The eXpansys line is:

"Starting now, all customers who buy a Windows Mobile device (not just UBiQUiO, but any brand) on this website get a FREE Microsoft Exchange email account for 3-months."

So by my reckoning, it should be fine!

P

Guest Manni01
The eXpansys line is:

"Starting now, all customers who buy a Windows Mobile device (not just UBiQUiO, but any brand) on this website get a FREE Microsoft Exchange email account for 3-months."

So by my reckoning, it should be fine!

P

Thanks, I guess I'll have to get them to confirm that if I go that route...

In the meantime, I've called Vodafone. They expect to get the 1615 on the 13th of September, at a price of £200 (18 months renewal of my Anytime 75 plan). As long as the Vodaphone software is not crippled, that's quite an attractive offer! So I'm going to wait until the 13th to make up my mind...

Edited by Manni01

Guest DragonStar

First post here but reader for a fair while!

Didn't vote in the poll but just ordered mine now through this offer! Can't wait for it to get here.

Guest Manni01
I have confirmation from Expansys that the Exchange deal is valid for this purchase ;)

P

Cheers! Just waiting to see Expansys offers re Vodafone contracts renewal now... Will a MaDaCo deal be added for each contract?