1st Rom update (ETA: 20/Aug)

Guest galenyip

Guest dudegalea

Update

Hi all,

As you may already know, I mentioned we'd be posting a ROM update, here's a bit of an update:

The ROM upgrade has been in development since the problems started to appear. It was my intention to launch it this past Monday, but one of the software engineers had to make a further change to ensure it works properly. While may be seen as an annoying delay, it really is important for us to make sure that we deliver the ROM upgrade in proper working order even if it does mean waiting a few more days. It’s currently being beta tested so that it can be formally released, hopefully this week. The ROM fixes the following bugs:

* Improves keyboard performance

* Frees up some ROM space – between 8MB and 14MB (more info to come)

* Shows “GPRS, 3G” instead of only “GPRS” in the “add a new modem” area under “connections”

* An additional number of improvements made to camera/mms/phone functions

As you may have noticed, this does not address any “network issues” which are one of the major concerns customers are having, especially in the US. This is still being studied & worked on and a ROM upgrade will follow. For this one we do not yet have an ETA, but we will continue to press for a quick resolution.

If any of you are unhappy with your device performance, and cannot wait for these upgrades, then please do not hesitate to return or exchange your item within your return period.

I am still monitoring these forums to get input from you all to add to the "fix request" list, but I will not be answering every post as I need the time to put together the list & make sure the next update (with any fixes this one does not address) gets done quickly, so as I've said before, email [email protected] if you have an urgent inquiry.

Regards,

Martha

Edited by dudegalea

Guest dudegalea
Not sure if i'm supposed to mention it, but I have a beta of the update, and the keyboard is WAY better :)

P

Paul, that's great news! Thanks for the update.

Since I moved my main apps from the SD card to the Device, my 503G is behaving much better. (The apps were crashing on wake-up quite frequently when they were on the SD.)

The dodgy caps shift button and (occasionally) the keyboard misses are the only things bothering me at the moment, and they're not intolerable. I don't know whether this ROM will fix my caps shift problem, but it's worth a try.

Yeah, it will fix that issue I think.

It's just an interim Beta, but it makes the device actually usable for me!

P

Good to hear that. Any other stuff fixed?

Guest dudegalea
Yeah, it will fix that issue I think.

It's just an interim Beta, but it makes the device actually usable for me!

P

I've just installed the ROM upgrade.

Rather disappointingly, the keyboard problem appears to be worse now than before. I don't think this is subjective, because with the old ROM at my normal typing speed I wasn't seeing the missing keypress problem that others were reporting. Now I'm getting it too.

The caps shift key is still misbehaving, but as the ROM doesn't seem to have fixed the keyboard issue, I'm still not sure whether it's a hardware or software problem.

Guest maevro

I was happy with the keyboard before and I am happy still. The fact that they fixed the 123/Abc/ABC/Abc issue is fantastic and lets me type fast again.

I might have to move my programs to the actual phone and off of my SD card too.

I feel the battery life is a tad better now.

I wish I could unlock the time/date today screen plugin and move it down....l

Guest martinctv
I was happy with the keyboard before and I am happy still. The fact that they fixed the 123/Abc/ABC/Abc issue is fantastic and lets me type fast again.

I might have to move my programs to the actual phone and off of my SD card too.

I feel the battery life is a tad better now.

I wish I could unlock the time/date today screen plugin and move it down....l

You and Paul are very lucky. I am glad your devise works for you, but you seem to be gloating here and on the expansys forums. The majority of us have huge problems before and after the new ROM install.

Guest dudegalea
You and Paul are very lucky. I am glad your devise works for you, but you seem to be gloating here and on the expansys forums. The majority of us have huge problems before and after the new ROM install.

I would really like to get to the bottom of why different people are getting such different results from this ROM upgrade.

You'd have thought that everyone would be seeing the same thing.

It's not down to third-party software, because I checked my keyboard immediately after the ROM upgrade, before anything else was installed, and it is indeed not fixed at all (and possibly worse).

It is leading me to think that there are some subtle hardware differences in (perhaps) different batches of this device, causing different apparent results. This would also explain the variety of reports that people were giving before the ROM upgrade.

I don't think it's as simple as "broken hardware". For example, someone on expansys reported that his unit's wifi used to work, and now doesn't after the upgrade. But my wifi was and still is absolutely fine. Unless he physically damaged his unit at the same time as doing the upgrade, we can only assume that the new ROM is responsible for the problem. But if that's so, then why isn't mine broken too?

Guest maevro

I really don't have any of the major issues that people have. I flashed today's ROM and had some memory card issues and keyboard function issues so I reflashed the ROM again and everything seems to be working much better.