The HTC Kaiser and T-mobile America

Guest zachto_man

Guest zachto_man

Hi.

I am new to the forum(I have lurked for a few days) and newish to the cell phone world.

I am making the plunge by buying an HTC Kaiser unlocked and would like some advice about what kind of data service I would expect to get from t-mobile in the US. I know that they are not 3G but I am not looking for the fastest most massive downloads. I just want to be able to surf the web anywhere.

Is there an 8525 user out there that has used that ppc on t-mobiles data plan and can you tell me if you have or had a good/bad experience? Are there limits on access? are there limits on download Kbytes/month?

I wish to use them because I have a cell from work (moto V195) that gets great call quality and good reception here in the SF bay area. The t-mobile data plan is also much, much cheaper than the ATT one.

Also - as an afterthought. Since I am coming in with my own phone and just need a SIM (and a service plan) from the carrier any advice about how I can get away with not signing a contract.

Many thanks.

zachto

• 2 weeks later...
Guest zachto_man
GPRS on T-Mo will be fine for most things, and from what I understand the T-Mo 3G network is on the way too...

P

Many thanks Paul.

Having done more research and talked to people at T-mobile and ATT I am now not certain who has the best call and data plans.

Cheers.

Karlo

Guest frydryce

ATT has 3G up and running in the Bay Area already and is expanding 3G much faster than TMobile.

From my experience, TMobile can't really compete with ATT in terms of call quality. Sure there are problems on both networks, however those who have TMobile aren't really happy with it and only have it because they have a Sidekick. The hands down best carrier in the US is Verizon at the moment, however they arent GSM so that kills it for me.

Guest genaldar
ATT has 3G up and running in the Bay Area already and is expanding 3G much faster than TMobile.

From my experience, TMobile can't really compete with ATT in terms of call quality. Sure there are problems on both networks, however those who have TMobile aren't really happy with it and only have it because they have a Sidekick. The hands down best carrier in the US is Verizon at the moment, however they arent GSM so that kills it for me.

It depends on where you live. T-Mobile is great here, while AT&T is ok. But T-Mo sucks if I get too far away from the cities. While AT& T works (kind of). I did have weird problems in Vegas when I was there last year (T-Mo roaming on Cingular). But it may've been my phone (moto v300 w/v600 firmware).

Guest genaldar
GPRS on T-Mo will be fine for most things, and from what I understand the T-Mo 3G network is on the way too...

P

The phone won't work on the T-Mo 3g plan when it becomes available. No current wm based phones will. Unlike At&t who have some 3g bandwidth using the common European frequencies, all of T-Mobiles will be on different frequencies.

Guest genaldar
Many thanks Paul.

Having done more research and talked to people at T-mobile and ATT I am now not certain who has the best call and data plans.

Cheers.

Karlo

If you want speed its At&t for data. Cost-wise you can get away with using the $5.99 data plan on t-mo if you don't mind being really limited on what ports you get access to. Otherwise you have to get at least the BB connect plan for $19.99. I don't know what At&t offers data plan wise.

The phone won't work on the T-Mo 3g plan when it becomes available. No current wm based phones will. Unlike At&t who have some 3g bandwidth using the common European frequencies, all of T-Mobiles will be on different frequencies.

it is my understanding that no N.A. 3g network use any "common" european frequencies. europe uses 2100 wcdma, att uses 850/1900 wcdma, and tmo will use 1700/2100(not compatible w/ euro 2100) wcdma.

Guest zachto_man

Many thanks to all who replied.

The consensus appears to be that I should go with ATT over T-mobile. The prices are not so different that I will buck that. I am spending enough on a Kaiser/TyTn II that I guess I should spend enough to get the most out of it.

Cheers all.

karlo

Guest desmondiwang

Hi everyone I am new here but I keep refreshing this thread when there is only 20 pages. rolleyes.gif

I am currently a T-mobile USA customer so, I would like to know whether T-mobile USA will release HTC Kaiser(T-mobile Vario III?) this year in US? If yes, when?

I think if the release is before 10/15, then I will wait for the T-mobile. However, if not, I am gonna buy a unlocked one. Thanks.

Guest mikeeey
Hi everyone I am new here but I keep refreshing this thread when there is only 20 pages. rolleyes.gif

I am currently a T-mobile USA customer so, I would like to know whether T-mobile USA will release HTC Kaiser(T-mobile Vario III?) this year in US? If yes, when?

I think if the release is before 10/15, then I will wait for the T-mobile. However, if not, I am gonna buy a unlocked one. Thanks.

i highly doubt they will, there has been no known US t-mobile rom, or even talk about it. US T-mobile also didnt have the Vario II. That's 1 reason why i switched to AT&T.

Guest desmondiwang
i highly doubt they will, there has been no known US t-mobile rom, or even talk about it. US T-mobile also didnt have the Vario II. That's 1 reason why i switched to AT&T.

Oh that's TOO bad... I think I will get $300 off if I buy Kaiser from T-mobile instead of Mobileplanet... And I could ask T-mobile to unlock it since I still have 1 year contract left...