Exchange Server on touch

Guest MetroidManiac

Guest Dumdidum

Hi

I have no touch, but all WIndows Mobile Devices are able to communicate with an Exchange Server, I am running it on 5 devices...

What's the trouble you have?

Svne

Guest samawil

You need the certificate from the exchange server...it's usually named COMPANYNAME.cer where company name is the name of the company, so if you r company's url is google.com you would have a certificate that is google.cer. once you get this file...transfer it to your device, doesn't matter where, and tap it...it'll install the certificate. Then you do the settings and you should be good to go....mine is working perfectly

L

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Did anyone have a problem with the Touch not installing a certificate? I get an error that my certificate is damaged or has an unknown file format. The same certificate works fine on other smartphones and pocketpc's though ;)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest jimbouk

The easiest way is to visit your outlook web access address in IE on your pc. eg:

http://mail.yourcompany.com/exchange

And then when it transfers across to the secure site, click on the certificate (top right of address bar, right click it and click view certificate, then click to details tab, then click copy to file and make sure you copy to a .cer file on your desktop).

Then use activsync to copy thr certiticate to your device, then click it to install it.

Other exchange activesync tip is to make sure you use the fully qualified domain name for the server - ie not "Mail Server Three" or whatever it is called within the work local network.

Guest MetroidManiac
The easiest way is to visit your outlook web access address in IE on your pc. eg:

http://mail.yourcompany.com/exchange

And then when it transfers across to the secure site, click on the certificate (top right of address bar, right click it and click view certificate, then click to details tab, then click copy to file and make sure you copy to a .cer file on your desktop).

Then use activsync to copy thr certiticate to your device, then click it to install it.

Other exchange activesync tip is to make sure you use the fully qualified domain name for the server - ie not "Mail Server Three" or whatever it is called within the work local network.

Hmm, no copy to file option. this is starting to get very annoying!

Guest jimbouk

Run IE as an administrator (especially if using Vista/IE7). Then visit the owa site, then right click to import cert to your pc, then copy to file etc etc

Guest MetroidManiac

After finally getting the certificate, I can seem to set up the e-mail, the whole piont was so I could get my school e-mail on the touch. What do i need to do to get that?

Guest jimbouk

Is the school running an exchange server?

If so, in activesync on your pc or device set up the sync relationship with the server (using the outlook web access address).

If it is a 2003 r2 server, then you could have direct push.

Guest MetroidManiac
Is the school running an exchange server?

If so, in activesync on your pc or device set up the sync relationship with the server (using the outlook web access address).

If it is a 2003 r2 server, then you could have direct push.

Well, Im not too sure what exchange server it is... *checks* Its outloow web access, I assume that means I cant actually get the email sent to my device directly, I have to sync it?

Guest jimbouk

It may have directpush - but the IT dept may have disabled it - but that is getting ahead of where you are now. Some uni's have an intranet help area on their website for this.

Anyway, you need either activesync 4.5 if on XP or WMDC 6.1 on Vista (both are free downloads).

1) Plug your device in to your pc and set up the sync relationship with the exchange server - using the owa address for the server, your username (probably your email but if you have a username to access the schools network use that) and password. You may need to ask the it dept for the domain name (if it isnt already shown on your pc).

2) Once it establishes a connection to the server, choose what you want sync'd (mail/calendar/contacts) and how much of each one. If the server is new enough, and if direct push is enabled, then you will be asked after the first sync if you want to receive items "as they arrive" . You can then choose or every X minutes or manually.

There will be a data cost to over the air syncing and/or direct push.

Edited by jimbouk

Guest MetroidManiac
It may have directpush - but the IT dept may have disabled it - but that is getting ahead of where you are now. Some uni's have an intranet help area on their website for this.

Anyway, you need either activesync 4.5 if on XP or WMDC 6.1 on Vista (both are free downloads).

1) Plug your device in to your pc and set up the sync relationship with the exchange server - using the owa address for the server, your username (probably your email but if you have a username to access the schools network use that) and password. You may need to ask the it dept for the domain name (if it isnt already shown on your pc).

2) Once it establishes a connection to the server, choose what you want sync'd (mail/calendar/contacts) and how much of each one. If the server is new enough, and if direct push is enabled, then you will be asked after the first sync if you want to receive items "as they arrive" . You can then choose or every X minutes or manually.

There will be a data cost to over the air syncing and/or direct push.

Thanks! I assume the data is covered with W&W?