HTC Touch Data Entry

Guest Stub101

Guest Stub101

Hi all - wondering if I can get some assistance from you.

I really like the looks of the Touch and currently have an M700 on Orange which is fine but just doesnt look as nice as the touch tbh.

2 main questions:

1. Is it possible to upgrade the data entry function when texting or adding contacts so that you are able to use the thumb-pad. I really dislike the fact thatr you have to use the stylus. I know that this was the same on the M700 and I had to add a patch to it - is this possible on the touch? (The one they use for the phonepad is great)

2. Has anyone swapped from a M700? and if so what are your thoughts?

Cheers,

Guest chucky.egg

You should be able to change the default Input method (SIP) with a registry setting, but I don't know what inputs are available - I'd heard that there was no T9-type pad (which would seem to be th emost generally useful one to have)

Guest marisa4755
You should be able to change the default Input method (SIP) with a registry setting, but I don't know what inputs are available - I'd heard that there was no T9-type pad (which would seem to be th emost generally useful one to have)

There are lots of different soft keyboard people recommend, which you can add.

Free:

Happy Tapping

PCM Keyboard

HTC Phonepad

(google these)

Not free, but good

Tengo Thumb

Fingertouch

Spb Full Screen Keyboard

Most people use a mixture of 2 or 3 of these depending on what they are working on at that time.

Phonepad is good for texting, PCM and Tengo are good for lots of text eg documents, but all of these have their fans. Best thing to do is try the free ones, then try the free trials of the others and see which you like best.

Personally I haven't even used my stylus for over a month with the Touch. I did at first, but that was mostly habit. Now I don't bother.

Guest thlcr1

Can't comment on the comparison with the M700 as I upgraded from a C600. However I've installed HTC phonepad (free) and it seems to work very well for generall texting and short data enteries. Would say that its easier to use than the keypad on the C600 supprisingly, and yes it does have T9. If I want to write bigger text files or use Excel then I've no great problem with the various stylus input methods.

Guest samawil

PCM Keyboard is da schnizle "yes I feel that strongly about it :) "

I decided to dowload it, and I've since removed spb fullscreen keyboard from my list of programs...go get it from the pcm site, and try it...but you need to remember how you learned t9...ie even though you are typing on a qwerty (or azerty or any which way you set it up) you sometimes hit the wrong keys but once you are done typing, the correct word SHOULD be there...you can also add words to the dictionary etc...it has made typing a whole lot easier on the touch

L

• 1 month later...
Guest bydandie

I use PCM for short messages and Tengo Thumb for longer ones. The issue is that Tengo needs some initial work to learn your favourite words, but once that's done it's worth the £7 for it.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest nickcornaglia

I use block recognizer for LONG texts and phonepad for short ones.

Tried the HTC clone for a short while before it stopped working unexpectedly...will try again with the official one. Also tried the iPhone clone from PCM but cant be bothered with continually needing to download it monthly.

I use the TouchPal now on my HTC Touch and it is a better implementation that the Spb Full Screen Keyboard. It's better integrated and runs more smoothly and faster. Still a couple of glitches, such as deleting text in URLs after failing to recognise a word and giving the option to add to dictionary.

Lost my stylus a couple of months ago and the TouchPal means I won't bother to replace it.

• 1 year later...