which WM6 rom is the best? offical HTC or other rewrapped one?

Guest noct

Hey guys,

i did my homework searching old posts but after reading 'em still ain't sure which one's the best.

so if someone could quickly shed some lights here which version to go for my update fr. WM5 to WM6

i prefer the HTC official WM6 one but theres lots of 'rewrapped' ones around that are said to be better.

may i ask why?

also the HTC site don't take my orange m3100's S/N as this is not a HTC-branded one, hence i can't download the rom.

can someone post the link here for download?

thanks

Edited by noct

Hey guys,

i did my homework searching old posts but after reading 'em still ain't sure which one's the best.

so if someone could quickly shed some lights here which version to go for my update fr. WM5 to WM6

i prefer the HTC official WM6 one but theres lots of 'rewrapped' ones around that are said to be better.

may i ask why?

also the HTC site don't take my orange m3100's S/N as this is not a HTC-branded one, hence i can't download the rom.

can someone post the link here for download?

thanks

After giving up hope on an official update from T-Mobile, I finally opted to install the WM6 Black Satin ROM yesterday - and I must say that it is fantastic! Faster, more reliable, I like the new WM6 glossy bars and to top it all off.....how much free storage space???

On the standard T-Mob WM5 ROM, I had to install most of my apps onto the Storage Card - not with the WM6 black ROM. I've installed all my apps to internal storage and I still have nearly 20Mb remaining!

So it's goodbye warranty (apparently) but at least I now have the phone I should have had in the first place (minus all the T-Mobile bloaty rubbish they insist on including in ROM). Not tried any other WM6 ROMs yet but considering how easy and quick it was, I might be tempted to try a few others and see what's what.

Guest crazyc
After giving up hope on an official update from T-Mobile, I finally opted to install the WM6 Black Satin ROM yesterday - and I must say that it is fantastic! Faster, more reliable, I like the new WM6 glossy bars and to top it all off.....how much free storage space???

On the standard T-Mob WM5 ROM, I had to install most of my apps onto the Storage Card - not with the WM6 black ROM. I've installed all my apps to internal storage and I still have nearly 20Mb remaining!

So it's goodbye warranty (apparently) but at least I now have the phone I should have had in the first place (minus all the T-Mobile bloaty rubbish they insist on including in ROM). Not tried any other WM6 ROMs yet but considering how easy and quick it was, I might be tempted to try a few others and see what's what.

I too have used Black Satin the most, and like the results. I will give the next Black Rom a run when the final version is released, but then probably look at cooking my own derivative. Still half tempted to stick with Satin tho, as have found it very reliable.

If you want all singing all dancing Roms then Schaps tend to have everything.

If you want to pick and choose a bit then consider the Pandora Kitchen.

...more plus points since the WM6 upgrade... :wub:

* HSDPA now works (never did on WM5 - even though I enabled it with the HTweakC app)

* Wifi now supports AES and WPA2 - so now I can connect to many more access points that I couldn't before (and no longer have to weaken security on my own router just so I can connect).

So far...so good....why couldn't T-Mobile just have released an official upgrade? Mind you, if they did it would be bloated with all the T-Mob branding and 'applications'. As ever...the WM community delivers, whereas the big boys always make a mess! ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I tried a half dozen different ROMs with mixed results. I have been using Shapps 3.57a for a month now and my 8525 is performing far better than ever before. I haven't had to reset a single time other than loading apps. Battery life is easily twice as good as the other ROMs I used. Everything works and the system reacts quickly. I expect to leave this ROM on the 8525 until it dies.

Guest jchamier
So far...so good....why couldn't T-Mobile just have released an official upgrade? Mind you, if they did it would be bloated with all the T-Mob branding and 'applications'. As ever...the WM community delivers, ; --as the big boys always make a mess! ;)

I agree WM6 is good, but what was the extra "applications" you found on the T-mob ROM? I thought it was pretty clean. The branding? Yeah, this is the problem with networks on all phones. The networks want people to think the phone *is* the network :-(

Guest Singing Dwarf
I have been using Shapps 3.57a for a month now and my 8525 is performing far better than ever before. I haven't had to reset a single time other than loading apps.

Which radio ROM is on your device?

• 3 weeks later...

Dont use schaps. He does not support it anymore. This version had many problems and he had two versions that superceded this one that both are said to work better. The problem is he does not support them. I opted to go with vp3g 3.61 version. When I updated from schaps, all my problems were solved and this version is very stable. I also use the 1.48 radio.

Ray

Which radio ROM is on your device?

• 1 month later...
Guest trinityj5

Hi there people ;)

Does anyone have any more opinions on this? Its been about a month and a bit since any movement on this thread.... what do people think about which rom is best?

My vodafone branded device (v1605) has become perishingly slow. I have not installed any apps to make it go slow, it just seems to have slowed down! To the point where, sometimes, if someone were to ring me, the phone is so slow to realise anything is going on it will just not ring at all! Also, sometimes it will take a good 15-20 seconds to open my messages inbox! This is, as you can understand immmensley irritating.

I have been on the phone today to very useful bloke at vodafone called Colin. He informed me that he didn't know of any plans to release any WM6 updates for the v1605, he then phoned HTC for me and they said that I would have to talk to Qtek. Qtek seem to be an imaginary company, an arm of HTC that are completely useless. They will not accept my IMEI number for the wm6 update either.

It just seems incredibly irrating to me that there is a perfectly good, working, official version of WM6 sitting on a vodafone server somewhere, but I can't get at it! Equally annoying is that HTC wont let me near their's either, because, "they can't support it".

Anyone got any ideas? I dont really want to have to use an unofficial ROM because of the invalitating warranty thing, but if my phone is going to continue being this slow, then I dont know if I will have a choice!

Any help at all would, as always, be hugely appreciated!

Thanks,

John :(

Hi there people ;)

Does anyone have any more opinions on this? Its been about a month and a bit since any movement on this thread.... what do people think about which rom is best?

My vodafone branded device (v1605) has become perishingly slow. I have not installed any apps to make it go slow, it just seems to have slowed down! To the point where, sometimes, if someone were to ring me, the phone is so slow to realise anything is going on it will just not ring at all! Also, sometimes it will take a good 15-20 seconds to open my messages inbox! This is, as you can understand immmensley irritating.

I have been on the phone today to very useful bloke at vodafone called Colin. He informed me that he didn't know of any plans to release any WM6 updates for the v1605, he then phoned HTC for me and they said that I would have to talk to Qtek. Qtek seem to be an imaginary company, an arm of HTC that are completely useless. They will not accept my IMEI number for the wm6 update either.

It just seems incredibly irrating to me that there is a perfectly good, working, official version of WM6 sitting on a vodafone server somewhere, but I can't get at it! Equally annoying is that HTC wont let me near their's either, because, "they can't support it".

Anyone got any ideas? I dont really want to have to use an unofficial ROM because of the invalitating warranty thing, but if my phone is going to continue being this slow, then I dont know if I will have a choice!

Any help at all would, as always, be hugely appreciated!

Thanks,

Be brave my friend, use Hardspl and follow the guides. Take the plunge with a cooked Rom. As I don't think Vodafone will releas the update, what else can you do. AFAIK using any of the non vodafone ROMs (whether official or not) will invalidate the warranty.

For me, the most stable ROMs seem to be the 3.57 Roms (eg Balck Satin), although there are newer.

I am actually using a custom version cooked using Pandora's kitchen based on a 3.57 base.

Do a lot of reading so you can see what issues if any have arisen with each ROM.

Guest trinityj5

Hi there CrazyC, thanks for your reply. After some further investivation, I have come to the conclusion that Vodafone, and Qtek, are both totally useless, and really don't give a **** about their customers... It seems like the only way to go is to get a unofficial ROM on my device...

I have been looking at pandoras kitchen, and I am extremely intriugued by it. Once you have "cooked" a ROM up for your device, is it a matter of going through installing Olipro and then installing the new ROM? Is there a Vanx style guide to follow for pandoras kitchen? Apologies if I am seeming thick... I am purely trying not to brick my hermes!! :(

As always, any help would be hugely appreciated..

John ;)

Hi there CrazyC, thanks for your reply. After some further investivation, I have come to the conclusion that Vodafone, and Qtek, are both totally useless, and really don't give a **** about their customers... It seems like the only way to go is to get a unofficial ROM on my device...

I have been looking at pandoras kitchen, and I am extremely intriugued by it. Once you have "cooked" a ROM up for your device, is it a matter of going through installing Olipro and then installing the new ROM? Is there a Vanx style guide to follow for pandoras kitchen? Apologies if I am seeming thick... I am purely trying not to brick my hermes!! :(

As always, any help would be hugely appreciated..

John ;)

OK - if you are going to be flashing any kind of Rom, put HardSpl on your device. use either the Mrvanx guide or find the thread on xda.

After that, once you have run Pandora, it will actually take you right the way through flashing your device!

I personally use the flash from SD card instead. (see the wiki about flashing from SD card.)

Basically you take the nbh file from pandora, and save it on a blank sd card, and rename it to HERMIMG.nbh

then soft reset whilst holding in the power and ok side buttons.

It sometimes takes a few goes to bite, but then a grey screen comes up with options, telling you waht parts it has found. mine normally says OS.nb as that is all I change.

I have a copy of my latest safe rom stored on an sd card so that if I should flash a dodgy rom, it is easy (thanks to hardspl) to pop in the card and flash back to a safe rom.

In your shoes I might be tempted to try black satin (full) first. If you are happy with that then keep it as your backup so to speak. Pandora does take a bit of playing with as quite often you need to play around to get what you want, but it is a good learning point for cooking.

Note that I have not used the recent Pandoras - I have my setup where I have deleted unneeded packages, and just add what I want to update. Hence am still working with a 3.57 rom base.

Edited by crazyc

Guest trinityj5

I think you are right.. I should try flashing the black satin ROM first... I was just about to start doing it last night, but bottled out slightly.. :S

I started backing up all my stuff on my phone instead and this made me think of something... as pimbackup took just over an hour and a half to back up all my pim data (most of which was spent on the 3500+ text messages I have on my phone) could the amount of txt's that I have stored be the problem behind my phone being so slow? I wouldn't have thought this was the case, there is plenty of memory about on the phone to store txt's in.. however, I could be wrong... what do you think?

I have also noticed that Mr Vanx doesn't have a guide specifically for black satin.. I am asumming that the guide for black magic is almost identical?

As a slight side issue, do you still think that the black satin ROM is the best one to go for?

As always, thank you for all your help, and any continued help is greatly appreciated...

J ;)

Just wanted to let you know that the Black ROMS are no longer supported.

Check: http://www.4winmobile.com/forums/hermes-bl...730-hi-bye.html for more info.

I am now using schaps 4.01 and so far it is realy good.

Yes, there will be no further Black Roms as such. However, I still stand by my respect for Black Satin. I have found no major improvements yet from the 3.57 generation Roms (of which i feel Black Satin was one of if not the best). Even the latest benchmarking over on XDA suggests that the newer Roms give no great advantage. If you have a specific issue with that is solved in a lter windows build then yeah of course the later build is better. I don't.

The newer Roms have newer versions of the applications, but if you want, once you get the hang of things, you can start updating them yourself and cooking Roms.

I still like Black Satin as a Rom (you may need to install either pimp my black or Schaps config tool to play with the cache settings.) Check out the threads on 4winmobile.

So yeah. try Black Satin. The when you are confident, try out a load of other ones, and see which feels best to you. At the end of the day, most are now very good and it is only minor differences. Having said that, Schaps next Rom looks worth a play with when it is released....

Guest trinityj5

Excellent, thanks for all the advice.. Sorry for the long delay in replying, I was away all weekend.. I think I will be flashing with black satin, I just have to get some time to get around to it..

As regards the text message thing, should having a lot of messages on my phone be slowing it down? I am only concerned because if I am gonna flash this and my phone is still slow due to my messages, then I am back at square one...

What do you guys think?

J

Excellent, thanks for all the advice.. Sorry for the long delay in replying, I was away all weekend.. I think I will be flashing with black satin, I just have to get some time to get around to it..

As regards the text message thing, should having a lot of messages on my phone be slowing it down? I am only concerned because if I am gonna flash this and my phone is still slow due to my messages, then I am back at square one...

What do you guys think?

J

Sorry don't know. I don't back up my SMS and so start clean after each flash.

Guest trinityj5

Ok cool, thanks again for your swift reply! :D I'm gonna flash black satin at some point this week. I will report back with how it all went and stuff...

One more thing, does anyone have a .cab with all the vodafone settings etc.?

Cheers,

J :(

Guest trinityj5

Another thing... What radio ROM is best, do you guys think? I am sure that experience on vodafone of any other radio ROM's will be few. However, you guys on other networks.. whats best for you?

Cheers

...more plus points since the WM6 upgrade... :D

* HSDPA now works (never did on WM5 - even though I enabled it with the HTweakC app)

* Wifi now supports AES and WPA2 - so now I can connect to many more access points that I couldn't before (and no longer have to weaken security on my own router just so I can connect).

So far...so good....why couldn't T-Mobile just have released an official upgrade? Mind you, if they did it would be bloated with all the T-Mob branding and 'applications'. As ever...the WM community delivers, whereas the big boys always make a mess! :(

As stated in the other thread TMob have now released the official ROM upgrade and I am currently running the full bloated version. Will reset in a week or so, and see what difference it makes. However I had a quick go on the 3G last night and it seemed abysmally slow, much more like 3G than HSDPA. Any way of telling whether it is using HSDPA? Should I check the registry setting to check its implemented? May have just been the mast I was on since I never normally use 3G at home.

As stated in the other thread TMob have now released the official ROM upgrade and I am currently running the full bloated version. Will reset in a week or so, and see what difference it makes. However I had a quick go on the 3G last night and it seemed abysmally slow, much more like 3G than HSDPA. Any way of telling whether it is using HSDPA? Should I check the registry setting to check its implemented? May have just been the mast I was on since I never normally use 3G at home.

Could load Schaps Advanced config tool and ensure it is all set as on (including both HSDPA and the icon)

Or one of the other tweak programs

Edited by crazyc

Could load Schaps Advanced config tool and ensure it is all set as on (including both HSDPA and the icon)

Or one of the other tweak programs

So I should be looking for Schaps Advanced or HTweakC, something like that?

Guest S710demon
So I should be looking for Schaps Advanced or HTweakC, something like that?

Either would be good. I used both and really liked them. I do feel that schaps has a little more options.

Guest Voldemort
Either would be good. I used both and really liked them. I do feel that schaps has a little more options.

It's easier if you would just install schap's rom (that includes schap's advanced configuration and a LOT of extra features)

the latest rom is the 4.20, but it has a few bugs still, so i d suggest to go for the 4.01 and just wait for the release of the 4.21, which is prolly going to be the best rom for this ppc :(