Can you update and Orange M3100 with O2 WM6 ROM??

Guest monkeyboy51

Guest monkeyboy51

I have an O2 Trion, My Colleague has a blackberry but hates it, so he took out an Orange contract personally for his partner and nabbed the Orange SPV M3100 that came with it. I have just downloaded the upgrade to WM6 from O2 for my Trion, Could I apply it to the SIM unlocked SPV or is that a definite recipe for disaster!

Newbie poster so go easy on me!

Guest crazyc
I have an O2 Trion, My Colleague has a blackberry but hates it, so he took out an Orange contract personally for his partner and nabbed the Orange SPV M3100 that came with it. I have just downloaded the upgrade to WM6 from O2 for my Trion, Could I apply it to the SIM unlocked SPV or is that a definite recipe for disaster!

Newbie poster so go easy on me!

Is he willing to risk his warranty? Although not certain, (I think there are dissenting views on this), flashing another operators ROM would invalidate the warranty.

If the answer is yes, then a whole new world opens up, and he should not be limited to the O2 WM6.

Before any kind of ROM flashing occurs, a lot of reading must be done.

www.mrvanx.org has guides to upgrading. The most important one being to put soemthing called HardSPL on your phone. This allows you to flash almost any carriers/cooked ROM to your phone, and most importantly, allows you to recover from almost all the potential pitfalls in flashing a ROM. Many a 'bricked' Hermes has been saved due to HardSPL - mine included.

I would also sugegst the Hermes Wiki on Xda developers, and also see Pauls guide here on modaco to backing up your rom, although he presumably has the latest Orange ROM that can be downloaded anyway.

As you can see from my signature, I have the 2.10 version of HardSPL, and am running the Black Satin Rom.

Edited by crazyc

Guest crazyc
Is he willing to risk his warranty? Although not certain, (I think there are dissenting views on this), flashing another operators ROM would invalidate the warranty.

If the answer is yes, then a whole new world opens up, and he should not be limited to the O2 WM6.

Before any kind of ROM flashing occurs, a lot of reading must be done.

www.mrvanx.org has guides to upgrading. The most important one being to put soemthing called HardSPL on your phone. This allows you to flash almost any carriers/cooked ROM to your phone, and most importantly, allows you to recover from almost all the potential pitfalls in flashing a ROM. Many a 'bricked' Hermes has been saved due to HardSPL - mine included.

I would also sugegst the Hermes Wiki on Xda developers, and also see Pauls guide here on modaco to backing up your rom, although he presumably has the latest Orange ROM that can be downloaded anyway.

As you can see from my signature, I have the 2.10 version of HardSPL, and am running teh Black Satin Rom.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=295751 provides a very good resource.