The official 'I got my TyTN II thread'

Guest PaulOBrien

Hi Evad, how did your GPS test go in London? whats the reception like, did it hold lock constantly?

Has anyone else tried this in a car for navigation? Would be intrested to get some feedback around this. I heard the qualcomm HPS chip isn't that great...

Regards

Hi Evad, how did your GPS test go in London? whats the reception like, did it hold lock constantly?

I've been traveling on my usual route from Old Street Tube station area to Heathrow area, passing by King's Cross, Euston, Marylebone, then A40 to Northolt and then Parkway A312 down to Heathrow. Generally it was quite OK, I must say, GPS locked position quite quickly, and then kept track without significant problems. The only thing I've noticed was very variable GPS signal strenght, it was going between minimum (one bar) to maximum quite often, but did not seem to affect position tracking.

The only thing disappointing, not related to GPS itself tough - it's coverage of free TT map of London. It's basically central London + zones up to 3, maybe 4, roughly. Definitely doesn't cover Heathrow area... :( On my route yesterday map coverage has finished on A40, somewhere around Hanger Lane / Perivale.

Edited by evad

Guest damianbyrne
Thanks. Is there a concensus on who has the best coverage, and who has the best HSPDA (and HUSPDA) coverage out there?

Again I'd say Vodafone who claim 99%, stear clear of O2, I can't say for Orange and T-mobile, but we need as close to 100% as a nursing business we need as much coverage of the UK as possible, therefore we're going with Vodafone.

I have a 3G Datacard and O2 doesnt even come a close 2nd

Guest chucky.egg

Just got "mine" (read: works)

Anyone else have a degree of movement in the chrome-like buttons?

The red (hang up) button, and in fact the whole chrome section it is in, moves by about 1-2mm up and down - as through it's pivoting on the green (answer) button.

all people who has a kaiser, post your first impressions with the device, is fast? is stable?

So far, so good. :) It is noticeably quicker and snappier than Hermes, even after installing whole lot of favorite apps. But I've also noticed some glitches like unexpected hangs for few seconds already - but it does not cover overall great impression.

Camera - very impressive for me, as I said few times already. 3G/HSDPA over Bluetooth/Internet Sharing - I've checked just today in the morning and I was blazed with the speed of ~140-150 KB/s, while with Hermes I was only able to achieve up to 60 KB/s with the same SIM card (T-Mobile + w'n'w) and same location! TouchFLO with finger scrolling, another excellent addition. GPS seems to work fine and stable. Finally I can use Google Maps without external GPS receiver. Finally, the design - looks brilliant, with that shiny black finish around front cover. I must say final retail edition looks a bit better than prototype demo I've had chance to play with earlier.

Shame that Java doesn't work properly, as I pointed out in other topic. Someone at xda-dev suggested to install other version of Java, which I'll try later today.

My very first impressions are really good. As I said, I wasn't that impressed about a week ago, when I was playing with prototype Kaiser at INKINO shop in London (Tottenham Court Road), but now all I can say it's just great. :)

Guest sc0user_75

Lads, what do you think the possibilities are that the tytn 2 will come down a little in price over the next month or so? I know the N95 dropped by around £50 - £70 in the first month.

Guest juiceppc

What are people's opinion on the dpad and button placement and overall one handed ability. The hermes buttons were too small and close together but the dpad was decent. But it wasn't rubberized and the ultra smooth battery cover often made the device almost slippery to me. The Wizard dpad was excellent but only had 2 poorly designed soft key buttons and no start and OK.

I have to imagine looking at the pics using this one handed should be better then their previous devices. With the rubberized back for grip and the large dpad and good buttons for easy clicking.

What are people's opinion on the dpad and button placement and overall one handed ability. The hermes buttons were too small and close together but the dpad was decent. But it wasn't rubberized and the ultra smooth battery cover often made the device almost slippery to me. The Wizard dpad was excellent but only had 2 poorly designed soft key buttons and no start and OK.

Button layout seemed quite awkward for me at the first glance - buttons are very close each other and it's easy to press the wrong button by mistake. But it all just comes down to getting used to... It is, however, quite good to operate with one hand, as you have all button in one place, instead of spreading to top and bottom of the screen, like it was in Hermes.

Guest Webreaper
Can anyone confirm that the GPS data can feed 2 programs at the same time? ie a NAvigation program and a data logger

They should be able to. The GPS is just a device/service, to which apps make requests. It'll work the same way as the 'net connections which are just available for all apps once they're running.

Guest Sonicr360

Hi All

Well got the Tytn 2 this morning, and my new Vodafone 3G sim arrived late afternoon (My contract has always been with Vodafone, just wanted to get the new handset and get 3G enabled).

But so far, I have been unable to get through to their team to activate it - and I want to get this right, before starting the phone up!

So far... its still in the box ;)

Guest Syphon Filter

It's NOT as snappy as I imagined it would be...it still feels a little sluggish like the hermes did at times...is it something I am doing? The only home screen plugin I have running is the HTC Home thing...

It's weird....definitely not as fast as I imagined.

Guest cristids

Hi everybody,

Congrats to those who are lucky enough to get their hands on this new toy. And a question to them : is the GSM/3G performance good or bad? I own an M600i and is a crap in terms of GSM performance compared to my wife's Prada. Because of that the phone function wich is the most important is useless some times.

B.R.

Congrats to those who are lucky enough to get their hands on this new toy. And a question to them : is the GSM/3G performance good or bad? I own an M600i and is a crap in terms of GSM performance compared to my wife's Prada. Because of that the phone function wich is the most important is useless some times.

What do you mean by GSM/3G performance? Data transfers? Or just voice/sms usage??

Guest cristids
What do you mean by GSM/3G performance? Data transfers? Or just voice/sms usage??

Quality of a phone call rendered by the power of the GSM signal. My M600i losses signal and the phone calls are a nightmare.

Guest Syphon Filter
Quality of a phone call rendered by the power of the GSM signal. My M600i losses signal and the phone calls are a nightmare.

I must say, I've found call quality to be fantastic so far. Data speeds also seem a lot better than my old M3100 (Hermes).

Does anyone fancy knocking up a quick "how to" for getting your data connection working over bluetooth/USB with a windows Vista machine for internet access etc...it would be much appreciated.

(Before anyone asks: Yes, I am feeling quite lazy hence I have not bothered looking myself yet with regards to the dial up connection stuff ;) ).

I must say, I've found call quality to be fantastic so far. Data speeds also seem a lot better than my old M3100 (Hermes).

I agree. However, it's quite hard to find a place where signal is really weak in London, so hard to tell how it behaves in such conditions.

Does anyone fancy knocking up a quick "how to" for getting your data connection working over bluetooth/USB with a windows Vista machine for internet access etc...it would be much appreciated.

I don't know about Vista, but if there are some Linux users onboard modaco, this article might be helpful: http://klamstwo.org/evad/archives/40

Guest Sonicr360

All

Ok well im stumpted here!! On WM5 you had the Terminal Services client. I cannot find anything on WM6 apart from talking about using Remote Desktop Mobile.

But I cannot find it!! Is it me.... or am I being really stupid and need to go back to the manual.

Still working my way through all of this yet !

Guest Sonicr360

Just found a download for RMD for WM6 - so I will download this and try it!

Worse case, do a hard reset!! Too much on here to take in over a few hours, plus got work now!

Managed to sync 4.5 to Tytn2 over Active Sync and wireless. No problems there!

Speedwise, seems to be ok - although again not had a good chance to play around with it!

Only touched 5 - 10% of the product so far! MAnual is VERY large!!! So a long read me thinks ! ;)

Guest stanchion

Howdy. Mike here from Hamilton Ontario Canada. I have my TyTN II now (yay!) and I'm charging it up for the first time. I was in meetings in Toronto all day or else I'd have skipped out to play with this puppy sooner.... I bet I'm one of only a handful of people in Canada to have chased one of these down so early... I find being an early adopter isnt such a bad thing... technology is something that actually pays you if you are an IT professional. :-)

The phone detected the Rogers network no problem and immediately came up with 3G indication. I live in an area that supports the higher HSDPA speeds.. so I'll be placing a phone call to Rogers right now to get on a data plan.

First impression is 100% drool factor. :-)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.