The official 'I got my TyTN II thread'

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Hightech

Guy is there a program or does the Kaiser comes with a program that will set off an alarm of the mins that one is using. Like for example if I just want to use 30 min's a day is there a timer that will let me know that I have reach my limits???

Thanks

Guest pestekkorna
So does Mobile Planet not offer any sort of extended warrenty like 95% of the other sites on the net do?

Actually I'm thinking about buying one on an US site for a simple reason : 180 USD less expensive in the States (shipping fees via FedEx included) than on european sites...

I don't know if something's going to change for the warranty (I hope not) but a seller talked about a 2 yeas world wide warranty.

Can someone confirm this?

Thank you,

Peste

Guest Hightech

Ok first impression is WOW WOW :wub: First time I even get an unlock phone and it's packaging looks ;) Eventhing looks so nice and best packaging I ever since.... Remember first time I even get a unlock phone...

Guest UnicornKaz
Hi UnicornKaz

Err... yes - Can confirm it. I have also been able to sync with exchange for WM5 too. (using XDA Exec)

Never had a problem. and that is using wireless connection. If its not working, then how am I getting emails syncing every 15 mins ;)

Can anyone clarify about the "Remote Desktop" being in the Pro version of WM6 - is this meant to be present, or am I meant to be doing a download?

PAUL !!!! Anyone !!

WI-FI activesync ( which is impossible since WM5 ) ... is totally different then wireless syncing to an exchange server !! :D

the 1st, you are wifi to the desktop activesync ...

""Microsoft made huge mistake by removing the feature of ActiveSync over Wi-Fi synchronization altogether! Previously, in older versions of Windows Mobile, it was possible to synchronize with your PC over Wi-Fi (and thus also over whole Internet) but out of security reasons Microsoft removed this feature (instead of just disabling this feature by default).""

http://blogs.msdn.com/windowsmobile/archiv.../22/420884.aspx

http://msmobiles.com/news.php/5334.html

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost....44&SiteID=1

~~~~~

and the latter ... you are using wifi to an exchange account ( which is the same as web browsing and/signing on to a forum or hotmail ) ... :wub:

Edited by UnicornKaz

Guest Shivadxb

Well I spoke to HTC about the lack of working maps for the Middle East and boy what a surprise. Rather than the usual vendor "we dont care" attitude, i was told that HTC are sorry about this and that in a week or so they will have an alternative to tom tom and that they will gladly give me some maps and software for free!

three cheers for HTC, i fully expected them to say "tough luck"

Guest NuShrike

Hey, showed up here at ~2pm today courtesy of prompt, accurate, flexible billing E-Gadget Depot with car charger and iPDA ultra clear screen protector (for dopod 810, cht9100, trinity, p3600). Finally set up most of it and transferred my pictures and ringtones from the SE t637. 72 chords really improves my midis.

This is what a call a tight experience. Everything just works, and you can feel the polish and quality.

Man is the screen small compared to the Palm TX. It's a bit heavier, but... the options and stability! Haven't had to reset once between all the bluetoothing, wifi, and usb activesync (unlike the Palm). Installing Tom Tom fixes the Google Maps not seeing GPS problem. Probably Google doesn't initialize something properly. Spb Phone Suite is up so I can filter calls.

Anybody know how to convert sim contacts into "Outlook" contacts? I'll probably find out eventually through the manual and online. Haven't figured out how to convert the weather app to show in F, but C is fine too and I might as well go full metric anyways considering I drive using Km on US streets. Your UK three prong plugs are HUGE compared to the US's.

Got Gmail Java running fine.. will try Opera next. Man, how do you guys deal with such tiny screen estate and all these widgets and softbuttons taking up the estate? HTC Home clock takes up way too much room, wouldn't mind just the tabs interface. Gets moderately warm during activesync and charging.

Skype 2.2 Gold over wifi works fine, although haven't figured out how to get it to use the BT headset for the audio.

Definitely not a transreflective screen, but about the same as my TX so I can deal with it, even in bright sun, I hope.

So the rambling stops, and more tweaking continues. Paul's tweakpak next. ;)

Edited by NuShrike

Guest jim.mason
Hi all

Having spent some time using the device, I can confirm that its pretty damn good! I come from an XDA EXEC which was good but bulky and weighty. Even as a phone, it was a little too big.

I ended up using the device as a Terminal Services laptop and occasionly used Tom Tom with a seperate bluetooth GPS. One thing that did annoy me was the battery life, which would need a charge within a day, possibly 2 at the most.

I gave up, went to my Samsung D900 which was ultra slim, light a a great 3MP camera. Cameras are not important to me, but for quick snaps or photos and video, its proved very, very impressive indeed.

I am with Vodafone, and never had 3G enabled on my SIM. When I purchased Tytn II, it was sim-free. At the same time I contacted Vodafone, spoke to a sensible customer service department who sent out a 3G SIM card.

Best part was... its free! So the new TyTN II arrived, and the 3G Sim. Once activated I started to play.

First things that struck me:

1) Accessories in the box. Nice carry case for the phone that attaches to the belt. Great for me

2) Nice presentation to the box - good and clear instruction manual

3) Simple read me to get started as quick as poss

4) Charge time was short :-)

5) Simple Wizard setup. Boot time short.

Upon starting the device and trying to get used to the buttons, I started ACtive Sync. Realising I needed 4.5 I done a clean uninstall of my 4.0 sync and resinstalled 4.5. Sync up with USB very nicely, and quick too.

I then setup the Wifi and sync over wireless. Again, great, simple and worked like a charm.

Next I went back to the big HTC Manual (and it is big!) and started reading slowly all the features and functions. I concentrated on certain areas of the phone (GPS, Sync, Bluetooth and Wi-fi) before exploring all the other WM6 features. I also tried out the "weather" feature which is a nice touch.

Next day, after leaving the phone on, I wanted to check what % the battery was at. Considering the small usage I gave it, I was surprised and impressed it had dropped just 7% !! Comparing that to my XDA Exec it had lost 20% overnight! May not sound much, but for me the battery life is essential, when I am on the move and no access to a charger.

Next, was the camera and video. Not reading the instructions I went head into the application and started to take shots. Compared to my D900 its pretty good. Again, its not going to replace a decent Canon camera, but for video on the go and photos to take and share or email, its very, very impressive!

Installed Tom Tom and downloaded one map. Again, without any configuration changes, the GPS connected and I was able to route an address. Yet again, all simple, no changes needed and no modications using the built in GPS.

Battery life was now down to 78% after playing with videos, camera, music and TomTom, with the odd bluetooth connectivity. And almost forgot, the use of the slideout keyboard and MSN with some web browsing too.

Sync today, with USB and again, no reported problems. In fact, out of the box, I have YET to have a single crash or instance of a failure. The only time it was reset was due to Sprite Backup doing this during and after the backup process. Not too impressed with this, but a small price to pay for the backup of essential OS Data.

Overall I have to stress that this for me, is an absolute essential purchase. Yes its not as light as my D900, but its NOT heavier than my XDA Exec (which I will now be selling), but its enough to be seen as a phone, which offers alot more functionaility than the eye can see on first contact.

And that is one impressive device. I am sure as the years go by, the HTC range will get smaller and slimmer, but for now its a great device. For a business person, its ideal.

Some concerns I have noted are:

1) No Terminal Services Client. I found a download for Mobile Remote Desktop, but unsure if I should have this by default or need a seperate install

2) I noticed my Signal Bar had the letter "G" on it. When I click on this, it told me it was connected to GPRS, 3G for 4 hours!!!!!!!!! I have absolutely no idea what it was doing, let alone why it was connected. That bothers me alot!! Last thing I need is a huge bill! I also discovered if Active Sync is set to "sync when items arrive", the connection remains on. Any ideas how this can be turned off ?

I think thats about it, considering I have been using it for a few days.

Anyhow, just wanted to share my views on this device. I know its expensive, but when you consider what the device holds on its own, and all the features, the value is worth it.

Thanks, Simon

Hi Simon,

Glad you're enjoying your new toy - still yet to order mine.

Connected to GPRS/G for 4 hours is not as problem - you will only pay for what you download unless you have the unlimited dataplan that V do. This might have been opened by either IE or also the weather feature on the homescreen will use this to download the lastest data and neither of these will automatically close the connection - there may be an auto disconnect option after a period of activity under settings that you could try.

Guest wonderstoat

Hi

Got mine a couple of days ago. Great device. Really feels better quality than SPV M3100. Very fast. GPS is excellent. Keyboard swivel excellent. Slightly worried about the screen, but as I live in Ireland, there's not that much bright sunlight anyway?

Question: I had 3 (I travel a lot) replacement batteries for my SPV M3100 and none of them will work as HTC have changed the pin position for ths TyTn II. I've ordered a new battery from expansys, BUT ... has anyone seem a TyTn 2 desk cradle/charger with slot for extra battery? (Obviously I can't use my existing M3100 cradle to charge spares as the pins are wrong.

Paul - any info on when this may be coming?

I ordered mine from Clove and added the cradle with battery charger to my order.

The cradle and extra battery are still on back order so it may be that they are not yet available, but they are/were listed on thier site.

Hi

Got mine a couple of days ago. Great device. Really feels better quality than SPV M3100. Very fast. GPS is excellent. Keyboard swivel excellent. Slightly worried about the screen, but as I live in Ireland, there's not that much bright sunlight anyway?

Question: I had 3 (I travel a lot) replacement batteries for my SPV M3100 and none of them will work as HTC have changed the pin position for ths TyTn II. I've ordered a new battery from expansys, BUT ... has anyone seem a TyTn 2 desk cradle/charger with slot for extra battery? (Obviously I can't use my existing M3100 cradle to charge spares as the pins are wrong.

Paul - any info on when this may be coming?

Guest wonderstoat
I ordered mine from Clove and added the cradle with battery charger to my order.

The cradle and extra battery are still on back order so it may be that they are not yet available, but they are/were listed on thier site.

Are you sure this includes a slot for an extra battery? The only cradle I can see on Clove is this one:

http://www.clove.co.uk/viewProduct.aspx?Pr...5C-63811E7D6256

.... which doesn't have a battery slot. Did you get another one that I'm too dumb to see?

Are you sure this includes a slot for an extra battery? The only cradle I can see on Clove is this one:

http://www.clove.co.uk/viewProduct.aspx?Pr...5C-63811E7D6256

.... which doesn't have a battery slot. Did you get another one that I'm too dumb to see?

On closer inspection it seems that it must have been placed in the TyTN II accessories by mistake. The one on my order form is listed as being for the original TyTN which if I understand correctly uses a different battery. I will be contacting Clove to make a change to my order before they ship that cradle. I guess I'll have to settle for a standard cradle for now.

Guest xorangefirex

Anyone who has bought the TyTn II and could recommend a good site I would really appreciate it. I'm having quite a hard time trying to find it is stock for $800 USD or less.

Guest xklipschx

I absolutely love this phone ... my only gripe is that the ActiveSync keeps launching on the phone ... it seems that whenever I check the task manager (every few minutes) this program has started (the phone is just sitting on my desk) ... is there anyway to disable the activesyn from automatically turning on? ... I am thinking may when I lose GPRS or Edge or 3G service and re-gain it that the activesyn kicks in?

Anyone else experiencing or noticing this?

Edited by xklipschx

Guest NuShrike
o Anybody know how to convert sim contacts into "Outlook" contacts?

o Haven't figured out how to convert the weather app to show in F, but C

o Skype 2.2 Gold over wifi works fine, although haven't figured out how to get it to use the BT headset for the audio.

Followup answers for posterity:

o SIMimp

o deep inside options (wish it used the more accurate weather.com)

o Bluetooth Audio

Guest zachto_man

Just for the record. I finally got mine this evening. Charging now. Unfortunately the retailer did not send the micro disc I ordered so cannot attempt any large software installs until that comes. TomTom etc.

Cheers. and whoohooo!! ;)

Guest xorangefirex

I was finally able to order my TyTn II today from Popular Electronics for $800 USD ($900 with 2 day shipping and 2 yr extended warranty), and I should have it by saturday or monday. Can't wait until I get the call.

Guest Le Chiffres

;) I just received mine this Noon.

First Impressions WOW WOW

NO ReGRETS SO FAR

FANTASTIC DEVICE..... I don't think i am going to sleep this night :wub:

Hey I don't have much time to type, my fingers are itching

:D

Guest Everton1878
It's NOT as snappy as I imagined it would be...it still feels a little sluggish like the hermes did at times...is it something I am doing? The only home screen plugin I have running is the HTC Home thing...

It's weird....definitely not as fast as I imagined.

I find it a bit sluggish too, nowhere near as fast as my old h2210

Glad I downloaded that program to block the GPRS connections, don't like the way it kicks in without asking you - could end up being v expensive

Now just need M$ to sort out the Mobile Device Center as I think the old active sync was better (more reliable)

Often need to close programs and unplug the cable before starting again otherwise it claims to be syncing for ages

Why can't we sync over WiFi, only BT?

Got a DuraSec screen protector but maybe a bit thick, causes the stylus to drag a bit

Also can you stop the green light from flashing?!

Have to put it on it's face on the bedside table so I can sleep

:D is it possible that the US version of the device won't have the taster version? I guess going direct to TomTom.com is next best plan :wub:

Hope you find them ;)

Gordon

I can't see the kaiser on the US site, maybe the appropriate links will appear when it's on the site :D

As a TomTom reseller, you can buy full version UK & IE, Western Europe, Australia, or USA & Canada from me. All full version 6.75 (latest) and street level detail with Navigator 6 software (included as free with the maps). I may be able to cut you a deal as a fellow Kaiser fanatic!

Before you ask, I don't cover anything else! If you need something weird like Hong Kong or South Africa, you'll have to pay the full price from TomTom.

Chris

By the way, when I finally get hold of the Kaiser on the 18th, I'll test all the TomTom maps in it and review the performance here if you think it's helpful.

Guest xorangefirex

Is GPS software for a TyTn II or similar product seriously around $150 USD?! I can't believe how incredibly expensive that is. I could nearly buy a whole new GPS for that amount. Please someone tell me this isn't the case.

Guest NuShrike
So has anyone used the kaiser with Skype Video Calling or a video conferencing program yet?
Neither Skype nor Live Messenger support video chat with any camera unfortunately. Standard video calling fails when tried through at&t.. <_

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.