Moving TomTom from one device to another

Guest K Woodhead

Guest K Woodhead

I currently have TomTom Navigator 6 installed on a Treo 650. How do you go about moving the application to my new Kaiser? The software is keyed. I did not find any info on the TomTom website regarding transfering to a new device.

Guest Mr.Clark
I currently have TomTom Navigator 6 installed on a Treo 650. How do you go about moving the application to my new Kaiser? The software is keyed. I did not find any info on the TomTom website regarding transfering to a new device.

If this is the first device you've installed TomTom on, you should be OK. If it's the second, I'd start looking for a crack, just to be on the safe side.

You'll need to get a new key via http://www.ttcode.com/

P

Yeah, in theory. We had TomTom 3 installed on some WM2003 devices, and as you do, people let the batteries run down and the devices hard reset. So when restoring everything, I had to reinstall TomTom. The first time it happened, everything went well, we got codes from TTCode.com and people were happy. Until they let their devices run down again. Another hard reset later, TomTom wouldn't reactivate, and we had to send off paperwork to them to get them to allow us to reactivate.

Then we upgraded our handsets (I insisted on WM5 because of persistant storage). We upgraded to Tomtom 5 and away we went. But the inevitable happened, people broke phones or lost SD cards and TomTom had to be reinstalled. The last time this happens, I was corresponding with the people at TomTom for a month, sending them proofs of purchase and emailing back with "not working yet" when their latest fixes didn't work.

So I gave up and got cracked exes. Not legal, but to my mind, not illegal either, since I've tried to get working software (that we've paid for) out of them and acted in good faith, only for my time to be wasted and people to be unable to use Satnav.

I'm not saying they're like this for everyone, I love the software and would definately recommend it to someone who just wants a working satnav. But woe betide those who upgrade or need to reinstall.

Guest ostrichwatch

I will never buy any Tom Tom software again after my wows with their policies and support staff.

I bought Tom Tom 5 when I had my SP3i and SP5, and also Tom Tom 6 Mobile when I got my M3100. Both worked great on the devices. No complaints with the software, it's a neat job and probably the best sat nav solution still IMO.

My M3100 developed a keyboard fault, and I had to get it changed. Fine, got a replacement no problem from O. Reinstalled my apps and off I went again, until the replacement developed a keyboard button problem, so I had a second replacement from O. Still no drama, reinstalled my apps and off I go again. Except, now TT6 will not register anymore.

I called their support and after many conversations, they wouldn't release a new code to me without documentation from O proving that I had legitimately had the two replacements in about as many weeks.

So fine, I had to explain this to O, they thought I was mad, but still sent me a letter that I could fax to TT.

I stayed on course, as I was determined to get a new code. I like the sw and had paid my hard earned cash as I have no problem buying licenses for anything I use. I develop stuff myself and fully support buying the stuff I use. No problem, they develop it, that's the price, I want to use it, so I pay to buy the sw. All still fine.

So then they tell me that the M3100 isn't a supported device, and not an approved handset. Their out-of-date release list of supported devices only goes as far as the M3000. I knew this when I bought it, but I also knew it would work too on the M3100. I don't want any support, just the sw and the license code. I mean both HTC, both PPC's and I know the sw works as I had been using it since the first week I had my M3100, for months and months and months.

They flatly refused to help.

Needless to say I'm still running TT6, no drama (you know how, like the previous post). I'll never buy anything from that company again and will always do what everyone else does. Stupid me for buying the software in the first place I guess.

Talk about shoot yourself in the foot in terms of sales. They wont loose any sleep I know over not having my continued custom, and in a way I wish there were more people affected so that it really would make a dent in their sales. But I'm not naive enough to think they're bothered.

Please no comments about buying the software when my device is not on the approved list. We don't really need a poll to know how many other people are/were running TT6 on the M3100/Hermes.

I'm waiting for my Kaiser to be delivered tomorrow, hopefully... and I know without looking this device is not on the supported list. It wont be a problem as I have my solution already.

I wonder how many others have been a victim of such a daft and limiting licensing policy.

Be warned...

Good luck with TTcode too. It will only had out new codes for supported devices.

Good grief...

End rant ;)