Newbie help

Guest Valiant

Guest Valiant

Hi everyone,

Been browsing the forum all evening and figured it's time to just come out and ask lol. A month ago my PDA/GPS was murdered by my baby brother, and I thought why not replace my Sony Ericsson K700i at the same time and get something combined. I ended up just buying my boss's old SPV M3100 off him in a deal not to be sniffed at. He always carried his laptop with him so wanted to downgrade to one of those tiny phones.

Basically I got:

Unlocked SPV M3100 running Windows Media 6 Pro with Black Magick?

2GB card

Bluetooth GPS Thingy

Charger

USB Cable

It came all boxed up and with Orange CD etc, sadly he'd lost the actual manual. And I was wondering if I could as a few questions?

1. Are there shortcuts for turning the Wifi/Bluetooth on and off?

At the moment I'm going start > Settings > Connections. I notice on the today screen it has the wifi and bluetooth status' but tapping on it doesn't seem to do anything. Anyway I can make this turn it on/off?

2. Am I going to have to manually merge the contacts?

I've just copied over all my contacts from my K700i via bluetooth. Trouble is I've got double and treble entries, where it's synced my outlook contacts + the contacts from the phone.

3. Photo Address Book

On my K700i when someone called, their photo came up on the screen. Can I do this on the "Pocket PC"? How?

4. The big G button

There's a big G button at the top of the today screen near the signal indicator and clock. What does it mean?

5. Scrolling during surfing

Is there a non selective scrolling feature in IE? When I scroll it seems to scroll by selecting (but not highlighting) as I go along. I'd just like to go up and down a full screen smoothly.

Thanks very much all!

Sam

Guest UndeadDevil
1. Are there shortcuts for turning the Wifi/Bluetooth on and off?

At the moment I'm going start > Settings > Connections. I notice on the today screen it has the wifi and bluetooth status' but tapping on it doesn't seem to do anything. Anyway I can make this turn it on/off?

Use the Comm Manager, its the second button on the right side of the Phone.

2. Am I going to have to manually merge the contacts?

I've just copied over all my contacts from my K700i via bluetooth. Trouble is I've got double and treble entries, where it's synced my outlook contacts + the contacts from the phone.

Afraid so, unless you get a Exchange Account and Outlook 2007, which will allow you to do all the hard work on a PC.

3. Photo Address Book

On my K700i when someone called, their photo came up on the screen. Can I do this on the "Pocket PC"? How?

Yes, in fact its easier and better on a Pocket PC, go into a Contact and goto Edit, you'll be able to fill in loads of information as well as adding a Picture (Alternativly just tap on the Contacts Name once when viewing it)

4. The big G button

There's a big G button at the top of the today screen near the signal indicator and clock. What does it mean?

It means you only have a GPRS Connection (2G), I'd nag Orange to give you a nice 3G SIM card so you can have fast Internet Access and other stuff on the PDA. Good luck however, Orange claim they don't do 3G Simcards unless bought with the Phone. Try eBay for one and then use a PAC to move your number to the new sim-card. (Let alone the fact your missing out on HSDPA, basicly the phone has Broadband Wireless Internet anywhere in the UK - 2mbps)

5. Scrolling during surfing

Is there a non selective scrolling feature in IE? When I scroll it seems to scroll by selecting (but not highlighting) as I go along. I'd just like to go up and down a full screen smoothly.

I haven't had this issue, I think you need Pie Plus. (http://reensoft.com/PIEPlus/) as that makes Internet Explorer easier to use and allows you to use your thumb to go up and down pages. Otherwise just use the scroll bar on the side of the screen.

Lastly welcome to the forums.

Just to add a couple of points:

I use a program called Phone alarm to change profiles (ringtones/volume etc) depending upon what time of day it is. I also use PA to have a button on my today screen for Bluetooth, and one for wifi. tap on, tap off........

(See screen shot attached)

[Things have moved on since Black Majik, although it was good. I suggest Schaps (as used by Undead Devil - and probably the 3.57 version) or Black Satin (as used by me)

BUT - and this is very important - before flashing a new rom you will need to read read read read read. As your phone already has a cooekd ROM on it there is nothing stopping you from upgrading it. Make sure you ahve HardSPL. (see my comment about reading) ]

Contacts - I don't use my sim contacts anymore - I don't even display them in the contacts on the phone. Everything is in Outlook so I can use the photos etc and is all backed up onto Exchange.

capture.bmp

Just to add my 2c on the contacts issue, when I had a K700i I used a program called Floats Mobile Agent to connect my phone to my computer, and I believe it allows you to syncronise your contacts in Outlook with the phone.

I would suggest backing up all your contacts, and then merging your contacts in outlook before doing any syncing with your new phone.

Guest Valiant

I do have an exchange account and am currently a third of the way through. I decided that it's probably best in the long run if I start over with new contacts and tidy them all up. I've got most of the issues sorted now, many thanks guys!

Is there an easy/quick way to set ringtone/msg tones?