HTC TyTN II Annoyances

Guest AwJm

Guest peterbonge
Right, there is one more - camera bug that makes each picture rotated 90 degrees clockwise by default. Extremely annoying.

I don't know if it's already posted elsewhere here in the forums, but this isn't really a bug. It is a wrong setting in the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\HTC\Camera\Image

Change the value named "EnableEncodePortrait" to 0 and the images will be saved "unrotated".

Guest Steve E Riley
BIG BUG // PROBLEM AND ANNOYING !!!

I use wireless alot, and at home i have wireless to connect to my PPC

With others PPC´s i used to :

- Disable autoPower off in POWER OPTIONS.

- Toggle SCreen

- and leave the wifi runing on the PocketPC connected to my Access Point.... with messenger and other soft running....

Now with TYTN2 i am not able to do this ................

With TYTN2 i tryed to toggle screen with WIFI ON and CONNECTED

and leave the machine running, and i am not able to keep the wifi CONNECTED... every time i turn screen back on WIFI does a

new connection.....

I tried to toggle screen with :

- Windows Media Player toggle screen option

- psShutXP

This is a real FAILURE for ppl that like me that like to leave wireless on @ home....

IS THERE A SOLUTION FOR THIS PROBLEM ?????

;)

Any update to this Wifi problem? I am planning on running a telemetry application over Wifi, that I need to run all night long while I sleep. The Wifi needs to stay connected for this to work.

Guest Nick Le Lievre
My TyTN II worked fine today; I used the used camera a bit (surprisingly good pics), phone and e-mail.

I guess I benefited from the 'Synch of Life' (SOL) ;-)

Solar Hydro

It will work fine for at least 24-72 hours after a soft reset. Eventually if will go into SOD again unless you do another soft reset. I am not surprised of your story of it working today. Don't forget to intentionally soft reset it again soon before you get another SOD.

I would rather do a soft reset intentionally then get an SOD unexpectedly. Unexpecteded SODs are a serious problem but like I say I`ve had 11 days now without an SOD becuase I`ve been soft resetting it intentionally each day. Not perfect I know and some will say I should return it but as far as I`m concerned I`m getting reliable performance out of my Tytn II so I don't need to return it.

The bottom line is I`m happy with the device thats the main thing if you are not happy with yours use you right to return it.

Guest Foxhunter123
It will work fine for at least 24-72 hours after a soft reset. Eventually if will go into SOD again unless you do another soft reset. I am not surprised of your story of it working today. Don't forget to intentionally soft reset it again soon before you get another SOD.

I would rather do a soft reset intentionally then get an SOD unexpectedly. Unexpecteded SODs are a serious problem but like I say I`ve had 11 days now without an SOD becuase I`ve been soft resetting it intentionally each day. Not perfect I know and some will say I should return it but as far as I`m concerned I`m getting reliable performance out of my Tytn II so I don't need to return it.

The bottom line is I`m happy with the device thats the main thing if you are not happy with yours use you right to return it.

Hello all :-) I'm new to this forum and this is my first post...

I have a S/E P900 and I'm thinking very much in buying this wonderfull Tytn II, Kaiser, Tilt - what ever the name is... When you guys write "soft reset" is that what I would know as reboot...? ;)

Isn't it quite possible that this terrible SOD will be fixed in an update in the near future...???

Is it really true that the battery doesn't last more than a day with ordinary use...???

Hello all :-) I'm new to this forum and this is my first post...

I have a S/E P900 and I'm thinking very much in buying this wonderfull Tytn II, Kaiser, Tilt - what ever the name is... When you guys write "soft reset" is that what I would know as reboot...? ;)

Isn't it quite possible that this terrible SOD will be fixed in an update in the near future...???

Is it really true that the battery doesn't last more than a day with ordinary use...???

Hello and welcome,

yes a soft reset is basically rebooting the software.... whereas a hard reset, is returning to manufacturer defaults.

The SOD maywell be fixed in a future update, but dont hold me to that!!

Battery depends on your deifinition of ordinary use, typically my battery will last me around 2.5days - however thanks to the special offer i have a mains and car charger so its not too much of a problem for me!

I don't know if it's already posted elsewhere here in the forums, but this isn't really a bug. It is a wrong setting in the registry:

Change the value named "EnableEncodePortrait" to 0 and the images will be saved "unrotated".

Woohoo! It works! Thanks for that! :)))

Guest Solar Hydro

Could you elaborate a bit on how I can go about making this change?

Thanks in advance,

Solar Hydro

P.S. Made it through the weekend, after the 'Synch of Life'; all seems to be working fine.

Guest peterbonge
Could you elaborate a bit on how I can go about making this change?

You need a registry editor for this. But this is dangerous for unexperienced users. So do it at your own risk!

You can use the free "Task Manager" (with built-in reg editor) from this site:

http://www.buzzdev.net/index.php?option=co...27,15027,page=1

1. Download the file "TaskMgrv2.7_WM2005_upxed.zip", copy the extracted file to the device and run it.

2. Tap on the arrow in the upper right (below the X) and select "RegEdit".

3. In the upper part open the key:

4. In the lower part tap&hold the entry "EnableEncodePortrait" and select "Edit" from the context menu.

5. Change the value from 1 to 0 and tap the left softkey ("Done").

6. Exit the program and push the power button of the device (to put it in standby mode).

7. After a minute you can switch the device back on and perform a softreset (put the stylus in the hole at the bottom of the device).

Point 6+7 are necessary to ensure that the device really saves the changes.

Guest dolbe666

Nick your still going on about your SOd. i havew been on holiday and had the phone working fine, took loads of very nice holliday pictures, used tomtom to find my way around. synced my email regularly. browsed the internet regularly. made a few phone calls. but there was one thing i didnt do.... I DIDNT SOFT RESET THE PHONE THE WHOLE TIME.Now that im back ive transfered the pictures i took to my pc and im quite impressed how well they turned out, i even made a wallpaper for my pc out of one of the pictures it was so good. the phone worked perfectly over the week and i had no problems at all with no need to reset.

Nick you really need to have your phone looked at if your still having to reset you device every day. its one thing not admitting your phone has a problem but advising others to do the same as you is irresponsible , espesially saying not to hard reset if you have problems. the first stop/fix step is to uninstall recently installed applications, if that doesnt work a hard reset is to be carried out, if that doesnt fix the problem its time to return for replacement of repair. if you tell people not to hard reset in order to try rectify a problem they will never know if it was a hardware or software problem, just as you will never know what your problem is because you reset it every day

Guest Everton1878

Anyone had problem with the alarms?

The daily alarm seems to be working ok but I had a couple of others go off this morning and I can't see why

Nothing set in alarms (besides daily) and no appointments due

Guest Nick Le Lievre
Nick your still going on about your SOd. i havew been on holiday and had the phone working fine, took loads of very nice holliday pictures, used tomtom to find my way around. synced my email regularly. browsed the internet regularly. made a few phone calls. but there was one thing i didnt do.... I DIDNT SOFT RESET THE PHONE THE WHOLE TIME.Now that im back ive transfered the pictures i took to my pc and im quite impressed how well they turned out, i even made a wallpaper for my pc out of one of the pictures it was so good. the phone worked perfectly over the week and i had no problems at all with no need to reset.

Nick you really need to have your phone looked at if your still having to reset you device every day. its one thing not admitting your phone has a problem but advising others to do the same as you is irresponsible , espesially saying not to hard reset if you have problems. the first stop/fix step is to uninstall recently installed applications, if that doesnt work a hard reset is to be carried out, if that doesnt fix the problem its time to return for replacement of repair. if you tell people not to hard reset in order to try rectify a problem they will never know if it was a hardware or software problem, just as you will never know what your problem is because you reset it every day

Its not just "my" SOD there have been 4 other reports of the same problem and I suspect it affects quite a few more maybe 1 in 50. My Tytn II has been working perfectly for 13 days now without an SOD - ok so I needed to soft reset it often to achieve this reliability but so what... if I`m happy with it then no problems.

Its up to people with the problem to decide if they are are happy with the solution or not before sending it back for replacement. Surely its better for me to post a solution then not to have one at all. The bottom line is I`ve had 13 days of reliable performance without an SOD now.

There will be others I`m sure reading this thread in the same boat as me who will understand what its like to suffer the problem... its ok for you too say return it but its not as easy as that when the device seems to work perfectly between resets.

Another really annoying thing :

You cannot record phone call using all those audio recorder application (Resco Audio Recorder, VITO Audio Notes, etc.) !!!

It can only be recorded if you are using the SPEAKER PHONE !

;)

I hope this is not hardware limitation btw.

Guest dolbe666
Does anyone have any suggestions as to what browser to put on the TyTn II, because the internet explorer on it blows.

I use Netfront v3.3 it works perfectly, ive used it with my Qtek 9000 and my MDA Vario also.

Guest TomaHawk
My Tytn II has been working perfectly for 13 days now without an SOD - ok so I needed to soft reset it often to achieve this reliability

seems like a bit of a OxyMoron

Guest Nick Le Lievre
seems like a bit of a OxyMoron

If its only 1 in 50 then its not too bad... that's only 2% of new devices with the problem. That would mean 4 in 200... we've had 4 reports of the problem so far... I wonder how many Tytn IIs are owned by this forums readers I would estimate at least 500. That would mean there would be at least 10 readers with the problem. So far only 4 have come forward.

At the moment there doesn't seem to be a huge risk of one getting a unit which SODs. Thats a good thing.

Guest rickyburke

But you do have one that SOD's, and from the numbers you're talking about, it's a hardware fault on a few devices, which to me suggests you need a replacement.

If you have to Soft-Reset daily in the first week of ownership, god knows what you're going to have to do a year down the line.

Guest Nick Le Lievre
But you do have one that SOD's, and from the numbers you're talking about, it's a hardware fault on a few devices, which to me suggests you need a replacement.

If you have to Soft-Reset daily in the first week of ownership, god knows what you're going to have to do a year down the line.

Well my numbers might not be right, I`m just guessing that we have an awfull lot of silent Tytn II owners (>500). You would think a lot more of them would come forward saying my Tytn IIs worked for 10 days now without a soft reset but then again, if it was worse then I predict you would also think a lot more of them would come forward saying my Tytn II has the SOD. So its hard to judge how many with or without problems are reading this thread.

So far we've had 4 come forward overall and say they have the SOD and maybe 5-10 in this thread say they haven't. Maybe the other 486 don't have SOD or maybe they do. Maybe there isn't even 500 owners reading this forum during the last 2 weeks... perhaps a large number of them are on contracts and looking at the Kaiser as an upgrade.

Its difficult to gauge how big a problem it is my prediction of 2% might be drastically understated then again it might be about right.

In anycase I doubt that the problem would get worse after a year, my feeling is it will stay the same not detoriate.

May I ask for some help here? I've had my Kaiser for a week or two and have tweaked it to just about where I left off with my Hermes running the "Black" WM6 Roms.

Anyhow, the unit has been really solid, the last tweak that I really miss from Hermes was the toggle key to brighten the display. There was an app, Vijay Lumos III that intercepted the Camera Apps ability to make the screen super-brite, it doesn't work on Kaiser and Vijay's doesn't seem to be around.

I don't use the HTC Home screen, prefer Journal Bar for news and weather, but I was playing with HTC Home and found an application in the "Launch Programs" tab called "Adjust Backlight" and it steps the brightness from Dim to High which is great.

Here is my quest, I can't find this app! If I press and hold a blank key in the HTC's Launcher tab, I get a pull down box with all the programs that can be set as a quick launch, Adjust Backlight is there. In the normal programs folder, "adjust backlight" is not there. What I want to do is find this app and creat a shortcut to it in the programs folder so that I can then assign a hardkey to toggle the screen brightness, outside of the HTC Home application.

With the Kaiser not having a transreflective screen, this would be a very usefull capability.

I would very much appreciate any help with this, I've spent a few fruitless hours. I found the icon in \Windows "HH_Launcher Backlight.png but that's all so far.

Guest xorangefirex
I use Netfront v3.3 it works perfectly, ive used it with my Qtek 9000 and my MDA Vario also.

Netfront seems to have "suspended sales of this product". Also, I would prefer a free one if at all possible. Another question is: Is it possible to use google maps in the TyTn II. I am trying to use it, but it won't find any satellites, and it tells me to go make sure my gps is on. It says go: settings > system > GPS. GPS, as a setting, doesn't seem to exist there. Any help would be appreciated.

Guest NuShrike
Is it possible to use google maps in the TyTn II. I am trying to use it, but it won't find any satellites, and it tells me to go make sure my gps is on. It says go: settings > system > GPS. GPS, as a setting, doesn't seem to exist there. Any help would be appreciated.
Use QuickGPS, and then TomTom to warm up the GPS first before you use it in Google Maps. You could try VisualGPSce, but that doesn't seem as quick as TomTom.

Well Doggonit. I had to actually shut my device off tonight in order to read off the serial number under the battery.

I've been doing a sort of torture test on it for the past 11 days to see if this SOD is a bug and I'll be darned if I can't make it happen. I've run the battery down twice a day EACH day. I'm constantly turning it off and on just to be turning it off and on. I leave it on all night while charging and put it on standby to charge durring the day. I charge with the wall charger and via a usb connection. I have opened more than twenty apps and left them running all day in and out of standby. I've had the bluetooth radio and the wifi radio on almost the whole time. I use my calendar to automatically set the ringer on vibrate durring my appointments and I use the active sync scheduler to prevent email notifications while I'm sleeping. I tracked my every commute with gps software, I listen to music, read e-books, my son loves watching Nemo on it and I can't count the number of pictures I've taken. This thing is ROCK SOLID and performs excellent.

I can tell you one thing, after using it this way and experiencing its performance and reliability, I would be sadly dissapointed if I had to go to a faulty device that acted any differently. I'm used to it working this way and I'm very happy with it.

Hi

I think what isn't realised is that the Kaiser is constantly turning on and off during the day and switches on at least once an hour, although the screen and buttons remain dark so you don't see it happening.

If you want evidence of this when you switch it on quickly look at the time, it takes a split second to update so you can see the previous time, and this previous time is never more than an hour ago, showing the last time the phone came to life and so updated the screen.

The phone turns on to do various tasks and for setting alarms and notifications, and will turn on more regularly if you have a schedule set for getting email.

So it doesn't matter how many times you turn on or off the Kaiser, it is designed to go in and out of standby as often as it needs. If there was a wide spread problem with "Standby of death" then everyone would be experiencing it and shouting about it, which is what happened with the Toshiba G900.

What could be happening is the device is crashing during it's "on" time where it is doing various tasks, either due to a hardware fault or badly behaving software, once crashed you will not be able to get the screen to light and it will look like it has crashed in standby but it hasn't, it crashed while on.

Thankfully the Kaiser seems extremely reliable and those experiencing recurring problems should return the phone for a refund.

Well Doggonit. I had to actually shut my device off tonight in order to read off the serial number under the battery.

That's a shame, although you could have got the serial number from the box and continued the torture ;)

Regards

Phil

Edited by Phil_UK

Guest Webreaper
My Tytn II has been working perfectly for 13 days now without an SOD - ok so I needed to soft reset it often to achieve this reliability

<shakes head> I give up. I really do. As mentioned previously, this is a total oxymoron - it's like saying "my car works perfectly and doesn't overheat - as long as I stop every 5 miles to let it cool down and to top up the radiator".

In anycase I doubt that the problem would get worse after a year, my feeling is it will stay the same not detoriate.

On what basis do you claim this? You clearly have no grounding in technical or hardware as if you did, you'd have just sent the device back by now. So why make such baseless and irrelevant statements as this? If you have a hardware problem (e.g., bad solder, dodgy memory chip, something like that) then there's a fair chance that it will completely fail at some point.

Still, you know best, eh? ;)