HTC TyTN II Annoyances

Guest AwJm

Guest dolbe666
There seems to be some serious issues with this phone, does anybody still recomend me to get one?

I would still recomend the TYTN II to anyone thats is familiar with windows mobile and even those willing to make a switch from symbian. its a very stable device in my opinion, yes as with all mobiles you will get some faulty ones especially at launch but thats not just HTC its all manufacturers

Guest dbaleanu
I never have a Single 'SOD' and I have a LOT of stuff installed.

Something must be breaking in your config? What do you have installed?

P

After a while've kept only

SJPhone

Batti

CamerAware (beta, but I've had problmes before installing this!)

LiveSearch

GoogleMaps

YahooGo

TomTom

GPRS Monitor

VXUtils

Palringo

Avantgo

I've synch-ed in between SODs.

I've just done a Clear Storage, in anticipation of posting it, so cannot give build numbers of above, but they were all latest versions (inc betas).

In all fairness I could just install one app at a time and see when it breaks, but I sould not have to do that.

Guest Nick Le Lievre
Hello all,

Shutting down data connection

The day I got the TyTN II, I upgraded my old GPRS subscription (10 Mb/month, €15/month) to 2 Gb/month (€40/month). Hence, I do not reset/shut down mobile data, and don't intend to. I did notice that Google Maps/Earth is very bandwith intensive, but I don't care until I see the first month's data throughput calculation/bill. I had installed the HTC 'gprs monitor' but it messes with the connectivity icons, so I uninstalled that again.

So you leave your data connections running while not in use ie even in standby? I found that the battery was drained quite alot doing this despite the fact it may also cause the SOD. Also I`ve only had 3 SODs, during the first 6 days of ownership where I left data connections & wifi alive most of the time in standby it has to be something to do with that.

I also went 13 days without SOD or any other problem which required forced soft reset by resetting daily every morning + not keeping data connections alive. This only ended when I tried to go without soft resets again and managed 37hours w/o SOD before I had a problem connecting to data which required a soft reset... I`ve now been going 28 hours without SOD since last reset and no problems so far but I don't expect it to last long.

For me a reset means you don't get an SOD for at least 24 hours but it could also be becuase I`ve been disconnecting data sessions before going into standby. I don't know which it is, I hope to find out over the next few days. The other possibility is that my phone is just plain faulty and I do have 7 days to send it back to expansys under RMA.

It could be that not resetting the phone but making sure to disconnect data connections before going into standby means that the SOD manifests itself in different ways ie you have to do forced resets becuase of some other problem with the phone in every 24-72 hour period but some people have gone 11 days or more without soft resets (and presumably no problems). Maybe it was just luck.

EDIT: To the above poster I had the SOD with only Googlemail Java application installed and I also had it w/o it installed... apart from that the only thing I`ve done to this ROM is install/uninstall the Tom Tom Taster - I don't think the SOD is related to what apps you have installed.

Edited by Nick Le Lievre

Guest pestekkorna
So you leave your data connections running while not in use ie even in standby? I found that the battery was drained quite alot doing this despite the fact it may also cause the SOD.

Elsewhere (french forum, someone told me that leaving gprs connection always on did not affect battery life but I could experience it was the opposite...)

Actually I had problems stopping gprs connections which had the tendence to be always on.

Peste

My data connection is always on. So is bluetooth and wifi is always enabled. I don't see any measurable difference in battery life when compared to having them off so I just leave them on.

I have this problem with my usual SIM card, but have tested the TyTN II with another SIM and it works fine. My SIM is old (12 years!) and there is a statement in the manual that some legacy SIMs may not work, I am assuming that this is the problem and when I get an up-to-date SIM card from my network provider will solve my problem.

Thanks for that. _A new sim has fixed everything

How old is your SIM? Have you tried other (recent) SIMs?

I have this problem with my usual SIM card, but have tested the TyTN II with another SIM and it works fine. My SIM is old (12 years!) and there is a statement in the manual that some legacy SIMs may not work, I am assuming that this is the problem and when I get an up-to-date SIM card from my network provider will solve my problem.

Thanks for that. _A new sim has fixed everything

How old is your SIM? Have you tried other (recent) SIMs?

Guest Neil5459

With regard to Data Connections and battery life: an open GPRS connection that is 'quiescent' will use only marginally, if any, more battery current, as GPRS is simply a piggy back on top of the normal voice signal. However, any data activity such as Email polling, QuickGPS updates etc will use a little power while the connection is active.

3G /HSDPA is another matter. 3G connections use more power, period. The signal is weaker and the device goes into a higher power mode to receive them, particularly in marginal areas. If the 3G signal is weak, the device may hunt between 3G and GPRS at maximum sensitivity, using much more battery power. If in a HSPDA region, and some data exchange takes place, there have been reports of devices locking if the HSDPA signal is lost, and has to downgrade to 3G or GPRS (HSDPA is only active during data exchange, and drops back to 3G when quiescent).

If all you are using data for is email/Outlook stuff, I'd recommend constraining the connection to GPRS, and only switch to 3G (WMCDA in the Settings) when a higher volume of data is needed. It will give much better battery life, and avoid the HSDPA problems if they exist with your area/operator

Guest pestekkorna
If all you are using data for is email/Outlook stuff, I'd recommend constraining the connection to GPRS, and only switch to 3G (WMCDA in the Settings) when a higher volume of data is needed. It will give much better battery life, and avoid the HSDPA problems if they exist with your area/operator

actually, how do you do that?

I mean, my tytn II always connects to 3G and when I try to block gprs connections, it keeps on trying on Edge and other data connections... how could I constrain the connection to just one defined type?

Thank you ;)

Gennaro

Guest zachto_man
Another SOD victim here.

My Kaiser though got to 43C+ whilst charging with nothing more than WiFi and mail synching (on its back, on a hard, flat, wooden surface). Is it the way thinner back cover, or just way hotter? Or just mine?

The other issue is battery life. Never got more than 6 hrs out of it, even when only used as phone, no WiFi, no GPRS, nothing.

Looking forward to a replacement.

I guess I have been lucky. While my Kaiser does get rather warm when using it while it is charging and I do not have the means to measure the temp, it is not too hot to pick up and hold in my palm. If I leave it alone while charging there is almost no difference from ambient temperature.

I work in an area with no 3G - bummer - and so I turn off the 3G in the morning and this seems to save battery. Also, I have noticed that, as some have noted, that the more full charge - discharge cycles I go through the longer the battery lasts. When I got my Kaiser some 2 weeks ago I had about 14 hours of battery. I now get about 36 hours of battery.

This is with a couple of hours surfing at Edge speeds(don't get 3G at work) 20 - 30 minutes talk and the occasional mail read (manual).

Edited by zachto_man

Hi

GPRS/3G Data connections are designed to remain connected. Essentially a data connection to 3G/GPRS is no different to being connected to the mobile network to receive calls, it's all a data connection at the end of the day.

If you fing GPRS is connecting itself it is likely because some setting or program is causing a connection, that program is then also preventing your device from going into standby and it is that causing battery drain, not the data connection.

http://blogs.msdn.com/windowsmobile/archiv.../14/666203.aspx

Regards

Phil

Edited by Phil_UK

Also, I have noticed that, as some have noted, that the more full charge - discharge cycles I go through the longer the battery lasts. When I got my Kaiser some 2 weeks ago I had about 14 hours of battery. I now get about 36 hours of battery.

cycling a battery regularly is the best thing you can do for it, otherwise it starts to petrify itself internally and retain less charge over time

Guest pestekkorna
If you fing GPRS is connecting itself it is likely because some setting or program is causing a connection, that program is then also preventing your device from going into standby and it is that causing battery drain, not the data connection.

Regards

Phil

The phone actually goes in stand by and I disables automatic update for the meteo plugin and setted the mail to be checked every 60 minutes. I don't think I have other apps who could need gprs connection.

It is strange that after checking the mails, the connection keeps on being on even if the program tells me "disconnected".

If it doesn't reduce drastically the battery life, I don't mind but this could be a problem when I'll go outside my country and the phone will try to connect me without me knowing... ;)

Peste

PS. I installed the nodata cab (as indicated on this forum). Does it stop all the data connections (GPRS, 3G, EDGE) or just the gprs? Thank you for your help! :wub:

Edited by pestekkorna

Guest Nick Le Lievre
My data connection is always on. So is bluetooth and wifi is always enabled. I don't see any measurable difference in battery life when compared to having them off so I just leave them on.

During the first 6 days I had the Tytn II I was getting about 1.5 days each charge... now by turning off Wifi and not running data connections when not needed I`m getting about 4.5 - 5.5 days. My usage is quite light, on standby all the time night/day for phone calls and check my email maybe 6-10 times per day and every wednesday, thursday & friday morning I browse Sky News in PIE for 15 mins during break which drains the battery a lot more then normal. I don't know if I use the phone less now then in the first 6 days but it certainly feels like the battery is lasting longer.

Edited by Nick Le Lievre

Guest Neil5459
actually, how do you do that?

I mean, my tytn II always connects to 3G and when I try to block gprs connections, it keeps on trying on Edge and other data connections... how could I constrain the connection to just one defined type?

Thank you ;)

Gennaro

I'd recommend this free program called Bandswitch. Once downloaded, installed and run once, it will auto load after a soft reset and is only a few KB in size. Page one allows you to select 3G, GPRS or Auto at will (the phone radio will power cycle after each change, but no soft reset) and the 2nd page will enable you to allow or disallow each data connection individually, or apply a simple timed switching.

NoData is only concerned with Data Connections, for which it is excellent, but Bandswitch allows battery saving by stopping 3G.

With respect to the Data Connections always re-establishing: this is now the default behaviour of Activesync from WM5 AKU2 onwards. If there is no open data connection, A/S will open one regardless of whether data is being requested. It seems to check every 5-15 minutes, so NoData or Bandswitch is the best way to stop unwanted connections.

With respect to the power usage of GSM/WLAN and Bluetooth: GSM and Bluetooth have little effect on battery life, but WLAN is a big drain, which is why it turns off automatically when in standby. On my P3600, resting current is 70mA; WLAN goes up to 250mA and GPS goes to 180mA. Not tried WLAN and GPS together!

Guest dolbe666
I'm really sorry for going off-topic, but the first pictures of the AT&T Tilt DEFINITELY belong in the "annoyances" thread. ;)

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/windows-mobile/...wild-304929.php

It still lookk better than the Vario III

http://www.theunwired.net/media/column/t-m..._hand_open2.JPG

http://www.theunwired.net/?item=hands-on-t...-aka-htc-kaiser

Edited by dolbe666

Guest pestekkorna
I'd recommend this free program called Bandswitch. Once downloaded, installed and run once, it will auto load after a soft reset and is only a few KB in size. Page one allows you to select 3G, GPRS or Auto at will (the phone radio will power cycle after each change, but no soft reset) and the 2nd page will enable you to allow or disallow each data connection individually, or apply a simple timed switching.

NoData is only concerned with Data Connections, for which it is excellent, but Bandswitch allows battery saving by stopping 3G.

thank you for your exaustive (does this word exist en english???) anwser. I went on the site and it seems that the app is no more free but it remains very interesting!

I will try to understant how much it costs and let you know!

Gennaro

Guest pestekkorna
Ah yes ;) Now listed on Handango but not Pocketgear, as stated. Price $14, so still a bargain!

I found on the homepage a link to a download and on the side, the persone talks about donating... I will test this version on my phone and see if it is a full version or not.

(I guess that to block all the connections, I have to switch to GSM...)

Thank you for the hint!

Gennaro

Guest dolbe666
the keyboard on that vario3 is the same as my vanilla kaiser - though whats on the screen looks pretty nasty! is that the default setup? no htc home plugin thingy by default?

Ive had a closer look and it seems they havent messed with the GUI as much as those pictures, maybe thats just the german version that got that theme. from what ive seen of the uk version of the Vario III they have kept it looking almost like the default TYTN II GUI 

Edited by dolbe666

by the way! i got my kaiser yesterday and opened it when i got home from work ;)

first impressions were as follows:

0 the packaging really makes a statement! very good quality - its a real shame because i ripped the outer security tag off instead of cutting it and peeling some of the box away! D: the box flap is magnetised which is a really nice touch

1 ooh its a bit heavier than i imagined

2 ooh that hinge looks a bit loose

3 this htchome today plug-in takes up almost all the screen in landscape mode! but its really useful and cool

4 camera button is really quite difficult to press all the way down and keep a steady hand (lots of force required - maybe im just weedy)

5 camera is _really_ sluggish in low light conditions - need a very steady hand

6 ooh htc have done a _really_ good job on the integration side of things

7 the keyboard is really easy to use and the slide out mechanism is really smooth

8 the keys below the screen actually slide about slightly underneath their outer housing - there's about 1mm movement vertically

9 the screen protector that came in the box is a bit crap - got dust on the sticky side somehow and i got loads of lil air bubbles in-between it and the screen - argh!

now ive had it for 24 hours i have had a bit of time to play around with it (luckily it was a fairly slow day at work!) and there are a few points id like to voice.

firstly all this nonsense about SOD's. i tried replicating this issue on my device and yes my device also stops responding to input if im on a call and the lock time-out expires. being a relatively experienced programmer with a certain intuition for the inner workings of things i can say without a shadow of a doubt that this is not a hardware fault (having now actually seen it first hand). this is a software bug that i believe will be really easy to fix - without the lock on it works just fine. im fairly damn sure this is totally reproducible on every kaiser (bar rom revisions if they exist).

*edit* -> correction: phil has told me this isnt the SOD fault that others were talking about - this is the lock bug - i havent had any issues with SOD's :wub: the gps is really impressive - it was exceptionally fast at picking up the signals the very first time and is even faster now taking less than 30 seconds to lock 7 satellites! the keyboard is very easy to use - i can already type on it quite fast - the hinge to the screen is fine too - it feels nice and solid in a kind of soft way. yea theres a very slight gap between the screen and the body, but it does appear to be uniform over the entire circumference.

during me writing this something rather strange happened - i spoke with my sister just now for over an hour, disconnecting the usb->pc cable as i was talking - when i hung up that annoying circular rotating 'im busy doing something' icon kept popping up, freezing the device for a second then going away again - it continued to do this until i had to turn off the device - but while it was doing it, i put it into flight mode to see if that would change it and it did, the amount of time it froze redcued but it still kept popping up - i suspect its a bit buggy with the data connections there - another software issue no doubt.

all in all im very happy with it - bit gutted that the t-mobile thing came out a few days after id alrady ordered, but tbh i think its worth the extra to have an unlocked clean device ;D

Edited by fusi