HTC TyTN II Annoyances

Guest AwJm

Starting to get semi annoyed with mine now ;)

A few times in the last couple of days I've gone to use it and it's just totally locked up on me

Usually the case that I hit the power button to bring it out of standby and then launch a program and it hangs

Can still take it in and out of standby by a quick press of the power button but otherwise it's completely unresponsive

I then have to to a soft reset

On my today screen I have the newer version of the HTC Home plugin, Spb Diary and Spb Monitor

Also running Batti

Sorage memory: 78.04MB

Program memory: 64.23MB

Any ideas?

On a side note ActiveSync is really bugging me on both Vista and XP :wub:

Batti is known for it's memory leaks. I had it, loved it, but had to uninstall since my TyTn I hunged up after a day or so usage with Batti. Anybody know if there is a new verion on the way that is fixed?

Guest Nick Le Lievre
I live in Nigeria but had a friend who stays in Dubai bought the unit for me.He contacted the seller and as i have mentioned earlier his opinion.

Hey guess what I`ve gone 7 days now without an SOD or soft reset. In the first 6 days where I had 3 SODs and I ran the owner identification screen at every press of the power button and also ran wifi/data connections whilst in standby. I did go 13 days without SOD by doing soft resets everyday but I was also not running the identification screen or leaving wifi/data connections run in standby at the same time so maybe it wasn't the resets.

I`m guessing that my device is the same as everybody else's now (ie not faulty) as it doesn't appear to have SOD anymore, if you want to try and produce an SOD on your Tytn II I`d advise running the owner identification screen at every power on and try leaving wifi/data connections running. If like me you should get an SOD within 2-3 days.

I`m thinking if its not the data connections itself that produce SOD then maybe becuase the identification screen runs at every power on and the device switches itself on throughout the day (but the screen stays dark so you don't notice) that this in someway produces a crash every now and then and SOD.

The SOD has to be something to do with what I`ve mentioned above as thats the only things I`m doing different to the first 6 days where I had 3 SODs.

Guest Phil_UK

Hi

Hey guess what I`ve gone 7 days now without an SOD or soft reset. In the first 6 days where I had 3 SODs and I ran the owner identification screen at every press of the power button and also ran wifi/data connections whilst in standby. I did go 13 days without SOD by doing soft resets everyday but I was also not running the identification screen or leaving wifi/data connections run in standby at the same time so maybe it wasn't the resets.

I`m guessing that my device is the same as everybody else's now (ie not faulty) as it doesn't appear to have SOD anymore, if you want to try and produce an SOD on your Tytn II I`d advise running the owner identification screen at every power on and try leaving wifi/data connections running. If like me you should get an SOD within 2-3 days.

I`m thinking if its not the data connections itself that produce SOD then maybe becuase the identification screen runs at every power on and the device switches itself on throughout the day (but the screen stays dark so you don't notice) that this in someway produces a crash every now and then and SOD.

The SOD has to be something to do with what I`ve mentioned above as thats the only things I`m doing different to the first 6 days where I had 3 SODs.

The owner information screen does interact with how the device comes out of standby.

For example my Kaiser is set to turn back on from standby with any button press, not just the fiddly recessed standby button, but turn on the owner information page to show when it is turn on and it stops all the other buttons working except for the standby button.

So it is interacting with how the device turns on, and perhaps sometimes it stops the standby button from working as well!

Regards

Phil

Guest Nick Le Lievre
Hi

The owner information screen does interact with how the device comes out of standby.

For example my Kaiser is set to turn back on from standby with any button press, not just the fiddly recessed standby button, but turn on the owner information page to show when it is turn on and it stops all the other buttons working except for the standby button.

So it is interacting with how the device turns on, and perhaps sometimes it stops the standby button from working as well!

Interesting... out of the two possibilities, the possibility that the SOD is due to having the owner identification screen show at every power on seems the more likely and what you said adds wieght to that argument. I didn't put big emphasis on it before becuase I didn't think something as seemingly harmless as running the identification screen could cause an SOD but maybe it does. All I know is I don't appear to have SOD anymore due to running the device as mentioned. If I do again I will of course update this thread.

What would be interesting to know would be if those who reported the SOD mention whether they also run the identification screen, it could explain why the majority don't have the SOD becuase how many actually run the identification screen at power on? A guess only a small percentage.

Guest Nick Le Lievre
I dont run the ID screen at power on (why do you do that if that is your phone anyway).

And I dont have SOD in my Kaiser.

Running it wasn't a big life-changing decision for me, I ran the ID screen on my old PocketPC so thought it would be OK to run it on the Kaiser, sort of like remind me who owns it at every power on (silly I know) + also if it got lost hopefully someone would use the info to return it to me (fat chance!). I felt that if the information was in their face every power on they might be more likely to return it to me (yeh right!). I know you can still access the information by going into the settings but...! Just stupid not mission critical reasons really, the option was there so I chose it.

EDIT: My Tytn II finally fell over this morning, it was just short of 8 days since last reset. What happened was I started a data connection then ended it after checking email but it took an age to reflect this on the today screen. After that it was taking 30secs or more to respond to any tap of the screen, I put it into standby for 1/2 hour but when I powered it back on it was behaving the same. I nearly had an SOD as it didn't respond to my initial 3 presses of the power button but it came on eventually - it was just acting slow hadn't SOD'd.

So in view of this I still think its wise to intentionally soft reset the device every couple of days to keep it running happily I`m not saying do it everyday or even do it at all but eventually you are going to have to soft reset, might as well get into a routine of doing it rather then wait untill you are forced too. What I have learned is that the device won't go forever without needing soft resets at some point.

Edited by Nick Le Lievre

Guest Solar Hydro
What would be interesting to know would be if those who reported the SOD mention whether they also run the identification screen, it could explain why the majority don't have the SOD becuase how many actually run the identification screen at power on? A guess only a small percentage.

I run the identification screen, and have had a couple SOD's again, which were again resolved by ActiveSync.

Solar Hydro

Guest Nick Le Lievre
I run the identification screen, and have had a couple SOD's again, which were again resolved by ActiveSync.

Solar Hydro

The simple answer is not to run the owner identification screen. However what do you mean by resolved by Activesync, when my device went into SOD connecting it to the computer didn't revive it. How does running Activesync resolve an SOD? I know you mentioned something about it earlier in this thread but I didn't understand it. Are you saying that when its in SOD you just connect it to PC and it revives it?

Guest Alkali
The simple answer is not to run the owner identification screen. However what do you mean by resolved by Activesync, when my device went into SOD connecting it to the computer didn't revive it. How does running Activesync resolve an SOD? I know you mentioned something about it earlier in this thread but I didn't understand it. Are you saying that when its in SOD you just connect it to PC and it revives it?

Nick you are the boy, you never get tied. I relly hand it over to you ;)

Guest Nick Le Lievre

Its nice to know I`m appreciated :wub: I`m just glad we now have a solution for the rare Standby of Death on the otherwise flawless Tytn II which means the few devices that had the problem aren't actually faulty. The problem + solution should definetely be mentioned on the official bugs page alongwith the other ones known about so far.

Guest drokkon
I'm with you - this kid's tenacity is amazing. I stopped reading this thread for annoyances days ago - now I just watch Nick with a passing interest.

Figure I'm getting my Tilt in about an hour, so I'll discover my own annoyances.

Guest pestekkorna

Hi! Surely someone already talked about this but I may have not seen it in the previous posts.

When I try to open a site on IE and the connection for some reason fails (for example, the train enters in a tunnel etc) the browser freezes and there's nothing I can do to close it but to restart the device.

Quite annoying...

Gennaro

Guest Solar Hydro
Are you saying that when its in SOD you just connect it to PC and it revives it?

Basically yes. I do a soft reset, and then connect/sync, and it is revived.

I'll try de-activating the start/login screen (need to look where you do that).

Solar Hydro

Guest zachto_man
Interesting... out of the two possibilities, the possibility that the SOD is due to having the owner identification screen show at every power on seems the more likely and what you said adds wieght to that argument. I didn't put big emphasis on it before becuase I didn't think something as seemingly harmless as running the identification screen could cause an SOD but maybe it does. All I know is I don't appear to have SOD anymore due to running the device as mentioned. If I do again I will of course update this thread.

I ran the ID screen at startup for a week or so until i got tired of it. I have never had a SOD.

Karlo

Guest Nick Le Lievre
I ran the ID screen at startup for a week or so until i got tired of it. I have never had a SOD.

Karlo

Lets not go there again... its the owner identification screen period. Everyone who had the SOD was also running the owner identification screen you may have been lucky to not have an SOD in the week in which you ran the ID screen - its possible. Don't cast doubt over the solution, not without running the device for many weeks like we have.

Guest dbaleanu
Lets not go there again... its the owner identification screen period. Everyone who had the SOD was also running the owner identification screen you may have been lucky to not have an SOD in the week in which you ran the ID screen - its possible. Don't cast doubt over the solution, not without running the device for many weeks like we have.

I've had SODs aplenty but don't remember running once the owner identification screen.

Replacement unit from expansys on its way.

Guest Nick Le Lievre
I've had SODs aplenty but don't remember running once the owner identification screen.

Replacement unit from expansys on its way.

Maybe yours was faulty for everyone else the turning off the owner identification screen works.

Guest SwiftyTom

I'm thinking about buying Kaiser, I was trying one in a shop today, and there was one annoying thing with the keyboard input - with the keyboard hidden, I would tap some text input field, slide out the keyboard, start typing text, but the characters wouldn't appear in the field for few seconds. Basically the field looks like I'm not typing anything at all, then suddenly all the characters I typed on the keyboard appear at once. Does this happen to anyone else? It might have been just some bug associated with localization of the device...

Edited by SwiftyTom

Guest Alkali
I'm thinking about buying Kaiser, I was trying one in a shop today, and there was one annoying thing with the keyboard input - with the keyboard hidden, I would tap some text input field, slide out the keyboard, start typing text, but the characters wouldn't appear in the field for few seconds. Basically the field looks like I'm not typing anything at all, then suddenly all the characters I typed on the keyboard appear at once. Does this happen to anyone else? It might have been just some bug associated with localization of the device...

Try resetting the baby!it will not happen again.

Guest andysalmon

This isn't about the HTC TyTN II plain vanilla, but a variant the Vario III. Why the hell have they got flat buttons on the device (when folded)? Not domed or raised, and have little feedback. I have to press and then visually check that I've dialled or disconnected. I've occasionally not checked and stood there like a plum waiting for the ringing tone, or hear someone shouting at me from my pocket when I've "ended" a call.

Guest mortenandersen
This isn't about the HTC TyTN II plain vanilla, but a variant the Vario III. Why the hell have they got flat buttons on the device (when folded)? Not domed or raised, and have little feedback. I have to press and then visually check that I've dialled or disconnected. I've occasionally not checked and stood there like a plum waiting for the ringing tone, or hear someone shouting at me from my pocket when I've "ended" a call.

Heh....?

I really can't see what is the problem??? Either you puch a button or you don't. Perhaps you should try and push the buttons in a more decisive may?

Guest andysalmon
Heh....?

I really can't see what is the problem??? Either you puch a button or you don't. Perhaps you should try and push the buttons in a more decisive may?

Do you have a VIII? How do you find yours?

Guest mortenandersen
Do you have a VIII? How do you find yours?

Oh sorry, in a hurry I thought you referred to the TyTN II, which I cannot see have such problems. But of course the variant you have may be so...

Guest stanchion
Firstly, when listening to music, I get a random "stutter" every few minutes. It's only a little glitch but does bug me whenever it does it??!!

are you connected to a PC with a USB cable while listening to music? I like to listen to music at my desk at work and charge up / sync at the same time.. guess what.. many times when activesync spins up and starts syncing i get this music stutter... only solution is to unplug USB cable, because killing the activesync process doesnt seem to stop it.. the damn thing comes back worse than dracula...