Serious Bug: Device password freezes start menu after phone call

Guest Magxs

Guest rachidnl

I'm encountering the exact same issue with my Dutch retail TyTN II.

Perhaps someone with a non-Kaiser WM6 phone could try to reproduce this bug?

On a side note, it seems the touch screen is turned off rather soon. I needed to call tech support for some other issue, and there's this automated system where you'll need to use your dial pad to control the menu. But everytime I needed the dial pad, the screen had already turned off! Hopefully this will change as well; it's too extreme.

• 5 weeks later...
Guest tytynII user

thanks to all of you for all the information. It was a major relief, as i was searching for what the bug was, and whether to give the phone back for a refund. I didnt get Phil's app to work, but thats probably my own doing - the switching on and off is a minor set back whilst waiting for a decent fix. I just switch off the password when im in the office, and on when i go out. No big deal.

Again my thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Subliminal Aura

Any resolutions on this one ?

I hate the way the screen blanks out and the touch pad is disabled... If you think about it its not really a bug but more of a feature and coded so purposely...

You wouldn't really want the touchpad active whilst rubbing against your cheek during a call.

Annoying though as it makes it difficult to get to the notes and hands free buttons.

I wonder what its going to be like if you recieve a call whilst using TomTom ? Guess TomTom has allowed for the necessary syscalls ?

SA

Guest chucky.egg

I've got a call logged with HTC UK Support (0845-890-0079). That was logged on the 7th Sept

They agreed it was Off Specification and passed it up the chain (to Taiwan) but they haven't heard anything, and they do NOT contact me (or you, if you log a call) when it's fixed - they rely on you registering with the eClub which will email you when any updates are released.

Hi

Just to add my two cents - I have exactly the same problem whereby the start menu is not accessible after a call. In addition the backlight will dim which makes the screen unreadable in daylight.

In addition, when turning on the phone the backlight is also dimmed during the code lock screen. Once the code is correctly entered the phone will be enabled and go back to bright screen mode. Very annoying as you can't see the screen to enter the code in daylight.

Simple user testing issues that were not picked up. Shame on HTC.

The simple way to put pressure on HTC? Return your phone and by law you are entitled to a refund / replacement if within a reasonable amount of time from purchase. A high return rate to T-Mobile for example will flag up the issue with the phone and T-Mobile in turn will put pressure on HTC. As consumers we can't apply the scale of pressure that the phone companies would get away with as major buyers.

O.

Guest chucky.egg
The simple way to put pressure on HTC?

In this case, given that the work-around is so simple, I'd say the simple way to put pressure on HTC is to report it to them!

How many people posting about it here have actually done that?

If you don't report it they'll assume you don't have the problem.

Phone them up, give them your serial number and describe the problem - it takes 2 minutes (and they're not awkward like your network's customer support).

In this case, given that the work-around is so simple, I'd say the simple way to put pressure on HTC is to report it to them!

How many people posting about it here have actually done that?

If you don't report it they'll assume you don't have the problem.

Phone them up, give them your serial number and describe the problem - it takes 2 minutes (and they're not awkward like your network's customer support).

Does the workaround still enable security and allow enterprise enforcement? Are there any other negative consequences? There shouldn't be any.

O.

Guest chucky.egg

The work-around is just to press the power button briefly to sleep the device, then again to wake it back up.

It's doesn't affect the security settings, so if your Exchange Admin enforces a PIN it still applies, this just gets you around the issue without having to Soft Reset

I've advised T-Mobile of the fault (I have a faulty phone from m point of view... plus the fact that sometimes it won't stop vibrating when a call comes in!) so I will have a swap this Monday.

O.

• 4 weeks later...

This has gone rather quiet, I'm using the Reg edit listed earlier that forces screen to stay on during call but it's not ideal.

Anyone else solved it besides the button press workaround?

Guest chucky.egg

Nope, not heard anything from HTC so I'm guessing there is no "solution" yet.

Their UK service centre basically said "Yup, it's a fault, subscribe to the HTC website to get an email when they fix it"

Nope, not heard anything from HTC so I'm guessing there is no "solution" yet.

Their UK service centre basically said "Yup, it's a fault, subscribe to the HTC website to get an email when they fix it"

Thanks, Not much use to the Vario III users though ;)