Got my one free TomTom Map, now what?

Guest w4rmk

So I have gotten my one free TomTom map and now I need some more maps. The only option seems to be purchasing the full $149 DVD version by mail? That is terrible, they should make city maps available for purchase and download at a reasonable price, like $10.00 per city or something. So is my only option to spend $149 and wait for them to ship me a DVD?

Guest burrzoo
So I have gotten my one free TomTom map and now I need some more maps. The only option seems to be purchasing the full $149 DVD version by mail? That is terrible, they should make city maps available for purchase and download at a reasonable price, like $10.00 per city or something. So is my only option to spend $149 and wait for them to ship me a DVD?

It's poor offerings and lousy customer service like this that influences people to go to warez sites. I don't avocate that but that's a lot of money not to be able to select exactly what you want or need. ;)

Do other GPS software companies have the same or similar policy? I will probably be looking else; -- for my GPS software.

Do the maps you buy from TomTom for their stand alone GPS devices work on windows mobile devices? I have friends that have the TomTom device and are now looking at the TyTN II...

Edited by burrzoo

Yeah, same question here.

After installing the TomTom 6 from the Kaiser CD, can you use your own maps?

Is this Taster edition a trial edition? It will expire after sometimes, or can only hold 1 map only.

Guest Neil5459
Yeah, same question here.

After installing the TomTom 6 from the Kaiser CD, can you use your own maps?

Is this Taster edition a trial edition? It will expire after sometimes, or can only hold 1 map only.

The 'Taster' edition is the full TomTom program, which is not time limited (in essence, the TTN program is always free of charge- you pay for teh maps you want) and a small trial map.

If you want other maps, you have to buy them, but you don't have to commit to teh full 'mail only' DVD at €149.

From the TomTom home screen, look for the heading Maps in the left side of the screen. This takes you to a Maps explanation page, with a 'Buy Now' link at the bottom right. You then select your product type (Navigator 6) and are taken to a Drop Down list of available individual maps, at various prices. One purchased these can be downloaded immediately.

TomTom maps are universal across the different platforms, so technically you can use a TomTom Go map with TomTom PDA Navigator, as long as the core version is the same. The rider to this is that the map still needs activating for the device it is to be used on; for TT Go devices, that probably means that one of your 2 allowed activations is probably still spare. To check, you will need the map Product Code (which you can see from the TomTom Go license screen); then go to www.ttcode.com and enter the Product Code. This will then show you a screen confirming the current device, but you can add a 2nd device (your PDA) by entering the Device Code. You will then be given a new Activation Code for that device. If you've had 2 Acrivations already, you will need to approach TomTom support for a new Activation Code.

Guest matt sb

When I do as you say below, I only find a map of Western Europe. Could it be that they don't offer individual US cities?

Tks in advance.

The 'Taster' edition is the full TomTom program, which is not time limited (in essence, the TTN program is always free of charge- you pay for teh maps you want) and a small trial map.

If you want other maps, you have to buy them, but you don't have to commit to teh full 'mail only' DVD at €149.

From the TomTom home screen, look for the heading Maps in the left side of the screen. This takes you to a Maps explanation page, with a 'Buy Now' link at the bottom right. You then select your product type (Navigator 6) and are taken to a Drop Down list of available individual maps, at various prices. One purchased these can be downloaded immediately.

TomTom maps are universal across the different platforms, so technically you can use a TomTom Go map with TomTom PDA Navigator, as long as the core version is the same. The rider to this is that the map still needs activating for the device it is to be used on; for TT Go devices, that probably means that one of your 2 allowed activations is probably still spare. To check, you will need the map Product Code (which you can see from the TomTom Go license screen); then go to www.ttcode.com and enter the Product Code. This will then show you a screen confirming the current device, but you can add a 2nd device (your PDA) by entering the Device Code. You will then be given a new Activation Code for that device. If you've had 2 Acrivations already, you will need to approach TomTom support for a new Activation Code.

Guest rebecker
Strange ;)

Maybe the TomTom site is localised in some way?

I also cannot get to the "Maps" page. If I click on it I end up on the "Accessories" page. I tried your link; same result. As far as I can tell, it is impossible to get to any kind of individual map page.

Oh well, I guess it's Tom Tom's loss.

Guest zachto_man
Can you get to This Page as explained above?

On my system it includes a number of regional US maps, plus individual European regions.

Just for the record I get the same result of being offered only maps of western europe (out of stock). There is no option if I press the buy button to enter the navigator 6 version. As some one here said 'weird'.

Okay - later - there is a work around. On the tomtom home page click register and register.

go to the tomtom-home page http://www.tomtom.com/plus/service.php?ID=17

and download it to your computer in whatever flavor you prefer and install it.

When you run tomtom home it will let you buy maps of north america - and just about any; -- else.

Unfortunately you have to have the tomtom device connected to make the latter part work because it wants the device code - probably the nagigator serial number or something..

I haven't got my Kaiser yet so I could not complete the transaction.

It is clumsy but it seems to work that far anyway.

Edited by zachto_man

Can you get to This Page as explained above?

On my system it includes a number of regional US maps, plus individual European regions.

I'm in the US. When I click on the link Neil provided it takes me to a TomTom page with a dropdown for map selection. This dropdown includes maps for all US+Canada, US Regions, Australia, Europe, etc. They are all there.

Guest zachto_man
I'm in the US. When I click on the link Neil provided it takes me to a TomTom page with a dropdown for map selection. This dropdown includes maps for all US+Canada, US Regions, Australia, Europe, etc. They are all there.

I too am in the US. When I go to the page Neil provided I do not get to the maps page as indicated on the left hand menus. I get to accessories -> maps.

If I click on maps directly I get right back to accessories -> maps.

I even tried it in IE as a last resort. I append a screen shot of what I am seeing.

post-290588-1189566678_thumb.png

Cheers and thanks

Edited by zachto_man

Yeah, the coupon is not valid ;) Damn!

Has anyone got their "voucher" code to work when looking at the maps, when I loaded TTN6 it said I could get money off maps. But the code seems not to be valid ?

Hi

Same here for UK part of the site.

The Voucher code takes ages to do anything when I enter it and on one occassion the page did something it said it wasn't valid as well!

Not very good, I would like UK maps for tomorrow so guess I will need to download and pay the full price.

Regards

Phil

I think we misunderstood about the voucher.

The voucher is used to download your free 1 city map, not for purchasing other map.

You should see button called "Voucher" in the manage map.

If you click that button, you will be able to download that 1 free city map.

However, you are limited to only 1 free city map.

I am now running also other maps, using the TomTom from the Kaiser CD.

Guest borg.cube
I think we misunderstood about the voucher.

The voucher is used to download your free 1 city map, not for purchasing other map.

You should see button called "Voucher" in the manage map.

If you click that button, you will be able to download that 1 free city map.

However, you are limited to only 1 free city map.

I am now running also other maps, using the TomTom from the Kaiser CD.

TomTom is NOT working in the US. It wont let me download my one free map.

I entered NY City and it jumps to this link: http://htc-citymaps.tomtom.com/downloads/N...NY-10019434.cab

but then just hangs. I think it will only let you download European maps and without a single map it wont initialize and it wont work...So I can't get it started up and then then run Google Maps.

Guest robertlewisca
TomTom is NOT working in the US. It wont let me download my one free map.

I entered NY City and it jumps to this link: http://htc-citymaps.tomtom.com/downloads/N...NY-10019434.cab

but then just hangs. I think it will only let you download European maps and without a single map it wont initialize and it wont work...So I can't get it started up and then then run Google Maps.

I had the exact same problem when trying to download a map of Santa Ana, CA. BUT I found a work-around. All you need to do is:

1. Copy the URL from your phone browser (the one that hangs), then paste it in Mobile Word. Save it as a plain text file.

2. Transfer that plain text file to your desktop computer.

3. Open the text file, copy the link and paste it into a browser. Download the .cab file.

4. Transfer the file into your phone.

5. Run the .cab file from the phone, and you're set!

Let me know if it works for you. It worked for me!