Some Important Questions To Ask - Looking For Help

Guest Sonicr360

Guest Sonicr360

Hi All,

I have some concerns about the Data connectivity on the TyTN2.

I seem to find that the signal strengh indicator changes to a small "G" or "3G" and a data connection has started. I notice this more when push email is enabled.

I am very concerned that this connection is using Data, but I have no real way of monitoring it. Can anyone tell me if they have either push email enabled or are finding that their TyTN 2 is always connecting to the internet.

Is there a way to turn this off, or an idle time out?

Also.... I have asked this in many threads, but not found any official answer....

WM6 pro is meant to come with Mobile Remote Desktop..... but I do not see it... or even Terminal Services. The help files within the WM OS talk about it.... but ; -- is it?

Any ideas? Surely I cannot be the only one needing this feature? I have found a download .cab file, but unsure if its reliable or is the official way to go about it.

Other than this, VERY impressed with the device!

Thanks, Simon

Guest Neil5459

Push email is designed to be used over a phone data connection, so from WM5 AKU2 onwards, Activesync continually monitors the data connection (every 5 minutes or so), and if there is a valid signal, will turn the data connection on.

If you have a WLAN connection available, it will use that, but the phone connection has to be disabled for WLAN to be used automatically- as WLAN is turned off when the device is in standby, it can't be used for genuine 'push' email, though in certain cases it will turn on, and poll at intervals.

Which push email service are you using; the 'heartbeat' connection/ IP Address monitor is set by the Exchange Service host, and will affect the amount of data used in quiescent conditions. 4Smartphone.net uses a 15 minute heartbeat, which equates to about 4MB per month excluding actual message exchanges. If you use POP3 email, and set for a 30 minute polling, the data use would be about the same.

If you want to quickly turn off/on, or limit your connection type, I can highly recommend Bandswitch which is a free utility which allows limiting to 3G, GPRS, or Auto (disabling 3G has a very beneficial effect on battery life) and also turning data connections on/off manually or on a schedule.

The TyTn II should come with a utility on the CD called GPRS Monitor- installing and configuring this will allow you to see exactly how much data you are using. Depending on your data bundle, that will allow you to estimate your costs.

Regarding Remote Desktop Mobile, the WM6 version of Terminal Services: this is not a core part of the WM6 ROM, and its inclusion is at the request of the carrier (Orange/O2 etc) or integrator (HTC/Dopod); in the event, most chose not to include it. You can download it Here or use something like LogMeIn.

Guest Sonicr360

Hi Neil

Many thanks - I installed the GPRS monitor, but to be honest, its not showing any Data amounts at all. So I uninstalled it in case it was not fully compatible.

I do appear to have 3G, as I can see this as an ICON. when the Data connection shows up, it shows "connecting to GPRS, 3G" and then instantly connects.

I am manually disconnecting it. I have also turned off push email for the moment from the connection manager. I am just doing a manual sync.

I have Wi-Fi and yes, can confirm that works, and uses this service rather than GPRS, 3G

It sounds like the RDP Mobile software is the same that I downloaded, so will continue with this route. Thanks for that.

Simon

Hi Simon

Your G to 3G then back again isn't indicating data transfer necessarily but it is telling you your phone is changing from connecting to a 3G signal to a 2G signal and back again. The most likely reason is you are borderline reception for 3G, so it drops back to 2G sometimes. This will also explain the strengh signal changes, as 3G will be a very low signal, perhaps one or two bars, and when it switches to 2G it is a much stronger signal so you get more bars. 3G doesn't have as much coverage as 2G, so it's not unusual to have a weak or no 3G signal but a very strong or maximum 2G signal.

Should you worry about this? Not really, however it is unlikely you will get very good data speeds at that particular location as the fastest speeds needs a strong signal on 3G. The only other thing it may do is cause some extra drain on the battery as it changes from one to other and back again if this is happening a lot. You can set the phone to use only 2G if you want by going to Start-Settings on the Personal tab click Phone, click the Band tag and change the "Select your network type" to GSM rather than Auto (the WCDMA setting is 3G). You will of course want to change this back to Auto when you are some; -- else that may have a much better 3G signal.

The application for monitoring data traffic does work, however you first need to go into Tools then Options and click the Connection tab, and set the data connection you want to monitor. By default it doesn't set a data connection so initially is counting nothing.

Regards

Phil