Problems with WiFi

Guest S710 Lover

Guest S710 Lover

Hey guys,

I just recently got a HTC S710. I love the phone, but am having some difficult and concerning problems using the WiFi, and Communication Manager. Once freshly restarted, my phone detects various networks. But within a few minutes, they are no longer detected. Turning the Wifi On and Off doesn't solve the problem, my phone won't detect any signals even though I know there is 2 very strong signals near by. The only way for me to detect networks is to restart. Also, I am unable to connect to my home network. Even though it is a simple WEP configuration, my phone will rarely see the signal, and when it does, it won't connect.

Any help you guys can give is greatly appreciated!! Is there any 3rd party software that can replace the Communication Manager? I am desperate, as I am considering returning the phone, since I can't get online. Thanks!!

• 2 weeks later...

It seems that I have the same problem! I use the phone for almost a month, but realized it now.

Actually, I'm absolutely sure it didn't have this problem before. I used to have it open (without resets) for days and I could connect/disconnect to various wifi networks. Yesterday, I noticed that after turning wifi on & off a few times, it stopped finding networks. A reboot will solve the problem, but not permanently. If again wireless is turned on & off (sometimes 1 switch is enough, others I have to do this 3-4 times), it stops showing available networks. The wifi icon shows it is searching for about a second and then goes into "Unavailable" mode.

I also tried running /Windows/StartUp/WiFiInit.lnk but nothing happened. This was the only wifi-related file I found around. Does anyone know more?

Can someone please confirm this is not a phone issue?...

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest Frogfoot

I have exactly the same problem, but it only seems to occur with my new Draytek 2820 router, When freshly turned on the phone will detect the network, and if it as unknown prompt to enter the WEP or WPA key. However it will never connect. and will show the 'not available' icon rather than the signal strength. The router works fine with my 2 laptops, and my PDA (HP 4700). I tried connecting to a friends router and had no problems.

Tom