UK T-Mobile vs. Orange

Guest Rush242

Hey All,

Anyone have any thoughts on service plans in the U.K? I got my TyTN II yesterday, and it fired up all right on AT&T here in the U.S. However, I'm moving to the U.K. tomorrow and I'll need service.

I looked at the T-Mobile U.K. and Orange websites, but I seem to be missing something there. What happens if you already have the phone? It seems like their SIM only plans are nearly worthless, I mean, 50 minutes a month? Then 1 pound per day for internet?

Am I missing something, can I do a SIM-only Web 'n' Walk? I just know I'm going to walk into the retail stores and get a bunch of people that have no idea what's available, or what the best deals are.

Anyone have any thoughts, links, suggestions, preferences for one over the other in London, or other carriers?

Thanks!

Rush

I imagine that phoning them up (if you can) will yield some more information about sim-only plans. My guess is that they don't over-advertise them for fear our idiotic consumer society will pass up the whole free-phone deal in favor of saving money... yeah, that'll never happen.

Anyway, call them up or get someone on this side of the pond to do it on your behalf- there should be no reason why you can't get any with-phone contract deal as a sim-only deal.

Don't bother with sim only.

Go for the best service plan that suits your needs, and either ask for a discount as you don't need a handset or get the best "free" handset that comes with plan and sell it on ebay. I have done that and got up to £200 back for the handset!

If you are a data hungry user, then T's wnw is the easiest to get - although their coverage is iffy in some areas. Orange's coverage is a bit better in some places but they are very fussy about who they give cheap unlimited data to.

Guest rickyburke

Go for the best service plan that suits your needs, and either ask for a discount as you don't need a handset or get the best "free" handset that comes with plan and sell it on ebay. I have done that and got up to £200 back for the handset!

If you are a data hungry user, then T's wnw is the easiest to get - although their coverage is iffy in some areas. Orange's coverage is a bit better in some places but they are very fussy about who they give cheap unlimited data to.

Yeah, I've got a 100mb for £10 deal with Orange, but I've now purchased a Slingbox so my data usage will be a lot more than that, and as I'm out of contract, I think a TyTn II and T-mobile Web'n'Walk could be the way forward.

Guest Sparky77

what phone did you sell for £200

Yeah, I've got a 100mb for £10 deal with Orange, but I've now purchased a Slingbox so my data usage will be a lot more than that, and as I'm out of contract, I think a TyTn II and T-mobile Web'n'Walk could be the way forward.

How did you manage to get 100mb for £10 from orange? is this on a buisness plan or something? I'm stuck on the 30mb for £8 and use alot more than 30mb a month

what phone did you sell for £200

You can often sell smartphones/pda's in "nearly new" nick for £200. I sold an unlocked orange M500 about two years ago for £200 (unlike the lucky guy who sold one ten days ago for £350 !!!!! - am guessing it will be a hooky buyer) but have also sold two imate jamin's for approx £175.

How did you manage to get 100mb for £10 from orange? is this on a buisness plan or something? I'm stuck on the 30mb for £8 and use alot more than 30mb a month

As per the various threads before on this, there are some of us who spend enough that Orange let us have 1gb of data for £8 per month.

Guest m3100tony
You can often sell smartphones/pda's in "nearly new" nick for £200. I sold an unlocked orange M500 about two years ago for £200 (unlike the lucky guy who sold one ten days ago for £350 !!!!! - am guessing it will be a hooky buyer) but have also sold two imate jamin's for approx £175.

As per the various threads before on this, there are some of us who spend enough that Orange let us have 1gb of data for £8 per month.

I'm one of the lucky ones who gets unlimited (1gb) data for 8 quid which I can also use to tether to a PC or MAC and run Skype.

I wanted to try out T-mobile so got a free pay as you go SIM. The 3g signal is pretty good here. For the 1 quid / day (and I asume for 7.50 / month) I can happily connect to my PC and MAC (which is now really easy on WM6 via bluetooth).... BUT I cannot get skype to work.

Hey Folks, thanks for the replies!!

I like the idea of the just get a phone switch the SIM and sell it on eBay!! But it seems the way to go is with T-Mob, especially after reading the "Switch from Orange to T-Mob thread."

OK, any thoughts on actually getting the contract? I mean, I have good credit, I'm pushing 40, but I'm from the U.S. is that going to cause a problem?

It surprises me that no one does a decent international plan, especially T-Mobile, seeing as they are in both the US and the UK.

AT&T tried to tell me how good their roaming rates were. In the UK. That was just painful.

Hey Folks, thanks for the replies!!

I like the idea of the just get a phone switch the SIM and sell it on eBay!! But it seems the way to go is with T-Mob, especially after reading the "Switch from Orange to T-Mob thread."

OK, any thoughts on actually getting the contract? I mean, I have good credit, I'm pushing 40, but I'm from the U.S. is that going to cause a problem?

It surprises me that no one does a decent international plan, especially T-Mobile, seeing as they are in both the US and the UK.

AT&T tried to tell me how good their roaming rates were. In the UK. That was just painful.

Watch this space for international deals. Three already include international calls in their contract minutes between 8 countries and I am sure the other networks will follow suit soon.

With regards contract, as long as your credit is OK, the networks will be delighted to sign you up - the US bit may make them ask for a deposit though.