Upgrade to Kaiser or get GPS?

Guest diacono

Well we've had the M3100 for over a year and the next logical upgrade seems to the the Kaiser.

At the same time I need to get satnav (CoPilot 6?) so I'm actually wondering if I should bother getting a GPS as the kaiser come with one... but it gets a bit trickier as we're with Orange who don't seem to have it yet (talk 1000 over various handsets). Having said that my MD does not get a decent signal at home so we would be open to finally move away from Orange.

So my questions are:

1) What networks already offer the kaiser

2) Are we likely to get a free upgrade/new contract

I've also noticed that the Kaiser it has a different GPS compared to others, will this be compatible with say CoPilot?

I know I have lots of questions so thanks in advance

If you're going to use the GPS extensively I'd recommend picking up a TomTom or similar separately; the Kaiser will have a smaller screen and will, without a doubt, be less reliable. Speaking from experience with the GPS in my Orbit and from reading about the GPS on these forums I wouldn't want to rely on the Kaiser if I got lost- then again you can't get much better and more foolproof than a classic paper map! But that's hardly geeky enough, eh?

You can get a Kaiser on Orange or Vodafone already, but not officially from the network itself. Check Expansys and Powerupmobile.

Personally I'm waiting for T-Mobile simply for Web n' Walk and will probably shove TomTom6 on my Kaiser even though I don't drive.

Guest Webreaper
the Kaiser will have a smaller screen and will, without a doubt, be less reliable. Speaking from experience with the GPS in my Orbit and from reading about the GPS on these forums I wouldn't want to rely on the Kaiser if I got lost- then again you can't get much better and more foolproof than a classic paper map!

Absolute cobblers. The screen is only marginally smaller than most dedicated GPS units, but it's still plenty big enough. And on what is your 'less reliable' claim based? I've been using TomTom on mine since I've had it, and it's worked flawlessly so far.

For anyone who wants a PDA phone and Satnav, I couldn't hesitate to recommend it.

Edited by Webreaper

first i'd agree that tomtom on a pocket pc works fine, and you don't have to worry about leaving the tomtom unit in the car!

only point i'd make is that buying a separate bluetooth gps device for £40 as i've used with my vario II over the last year may allow improved GPS reception, as the place where you want to put your phone holder (for me on the right of my steering wheel) isn't the same as the place where you get maximum gps reception (as far forward as possible on the dashboard - so it has glass and not metal above it).

Guest Webreaper
only point i'd make is that buying a separate bluetooth gps device for £40 as i've used with my vario II over the last year may allow improved GPS reception, as the place where you want to put your phone holder (for me on the right of my steering wheel) isn't the same as the place where you get maximum gps reception (as far forward as possible on the dashboard - so it has glass and not metal above it).

I wouldn't be too concerned about that. The GPS receiver on the Kaiser appears to be pretty strong. I was going to get a cradle for my dash, but I've now found that it pick up the signal so well that I can have it on my centre console. My car is a Leon, and I've got some of that grippy rubber mat and have the Kaiser sitting, screen tilted, just in front of the gearstick (on top of the red button, you can just see the location here, bottom left of the pic).

2006075_seat_leon_interior.jpg

It works perfectly there, picks up 4-5 bars of Satellite reception in TomTom, and is conveniently placed without being a distraction. So it doesn't need to be on the dashboard at all. ;)

Strikes me that there's a lot of people giving opinions on the suitability of the Kaiser as a satnav system, but I'm seeing little evidence of those opinions being based on anything other than guesswork or hypothesis. I've owned and used my Kaiser for a week now, and been using TomTom on it for most of that time, and can categorically state that it works pretty much perfectly - I have no complaints at all.

Given that I waited for 6 months after my XDA Mini S contract ended to get this device, purely because I wanted an all-in-one device (PDA/phone/SatNav/MP3 player), you can bet your bottom dollar I'd be moaning if it didn't live up to the hype.

Edited by Webreaper

Mine's based on experience with other Windows Mobile devices... and some guesswork/hypothesis. Never-the-less I stand corrected.

I'm not a big fan of convergence so I favour a separate GPS unit simply because there is no arguing that it's better than the Windows Mobile alternative- mainly because it doesn't have to run Windows Mobile and is entirely dedicated to running the GPS software.

I'm also a gadget nut, so 2 gadgets > 1 gadget. I carry a separate camera, PSP and iPod!

When my phone fails, my phone fails... I can still play games, take photos and listen to music.

If you use your phone for everything... well... enjoy that 2 hour train ride with a flat battery and nothing to do!

Guest Webreaper
there is no arguing that it's better than the Windows Mobile alternative- mainly because it doesn't have to run Windows Mobile and is entirely dedicated to running the GPS software.

Don't see the logic there. Just because something runs on WM doesn't mean it's sub-standard. I'd venture the reverse - it's far easier to upgrade/patch TomTom on a pocketPC than on a dedicated SatNav device. And, of course, there's always the option of alternative software (iGo, etc).

I'm also a gadget nut, so 2 gadgets > 1 gadget. I carry a separate camera, PSP and iPod!

Pah. Call yourself a geek? You're suggesting that having several sub-standard gadgets is better than a single super-gadget? Pffft. ;)

When my phone fails, my phone fails... I can still play games, take photos and listen to music.

If you use your phone for everything... well... enjoy that 2 hour train ride with a flat battery and nothing to do!

I do a 1.5 hour commute to/from w**k every day, and quite happily listen to music on my PPC device the whole way there without using more than 25% battery. Added to which I have a USB cable at work and a charger in the car, so I've never had a phone battery run out on me before.

Still, on the upside, carrying a camera, games console, mp3 player, phone, camera, and all the chargers must save you money on gym membership. :wub:

Edited by Webreaper

The upside of the converged device, such as the Kaiser, running GPS is that you have the TomTom Plus stuff running too. TomTom traffic saved my bacon on Monday, when it routed me round a 1 hour delay on the way to a meeting.

The standalone devices (which I must say if I was driving different routes every day for a few hours I would get) can of course do this, but often need a BT connection to a phone to do. So you end up draining the battery anyway.

Have been running TomTom on a WM2003se device for a while, and it has been rock solid. As has the TTN6 on the Kasier. Bit quicker on the Kaiser however.

Guest Webreaper
The upside of the converged device, such as the Kaiser, running GPS is that you have the TomTom Plus stuff running too. TomTom traffic saved my bacon on Monday, when it routed me round a 1 hour delay on the way to a meeting.

How much data does the traffic service cost? Are there any free alternatives?

Still, on the upside, carrying a camera, games console, mp3 player, phone, camera, and all the chargers must save you money on gym membership. :wub:

Everything charges from USB these days and there are USB ports everywhere; the phone, camera and games console (and a TomTom if I had one) all share the same single cable. The ruddy iPod just has to go and have a non-standard connector on it!

Charging all of the above at work saves on electricity bills also ;)

I saved money on a gym membership by not being suckered into a gym membership... at least not a second time anyway... I also managed to save over £400 on a PS3... simply by not buying one! Amazing way to save, that!

TTN6 is slow and unreliable on my Xda Orbit and makes it a pain to do anything else on the phone at the same time, I really can't wait to get hold of a Kaiser; the anticipation is killing me.