Coming out of Standby to check email

Guest FrankyG

I've got mine to check email at regular intervals - but it won't wake up from standby to check mail. Does yours?

I did do something rash, I fear - used scarybears check notifications to clear all but 4 notifications, at which point activesync didn't recognize the device. I fixed that by adding a new notification (memmaid) but I wonder if screwing with the notifications has messed other things up. Any thoughts?

Cheers,

FrankyG

Guest Neil5459
I've got mine to check email at regular intervals - but it won't wake up from standby to check mail. Does yours?

I did do something rash, I fear - used scarybears check notifications to clear all but 4 notifications, at which point activesync didn't recognize the device. I fixed that by adding a new notification (memmaid) but I wonder if screwing with the notifications has messed other things up. Any thoughts?

Cheers,

FrankyG

Screwing with the NQ can definitely lead to trouble, and if there has been a problem you'd be better to do a hard reset sooner rather than later- there are already a number of reports of the old WM trick of alarms not sounding afflicting the TyTn II, which is related to invalid NQ entries. IIRC there should definitely be around 8-10 entries in the NQ, which shouldn't be deleted (2 or 3 each for calnot, clocknot, replog etc).

How do you know its not waking from standby to check mail? Are you missing mail items you know should be delivered? The email polling process is undertaken at a semi-suspend level, so no lights will show (unless the message received light is set to indicate a new message) and the screen won't come on.

Screwing with the NQ can definitely lead to trouble, and if there has been a problem you'd be better to do a hard reset sooner rather than later- there are already a number of reports of the old WM trick of alarms not sounding afflicting the TyTn II, which is related to invalid NQ entries. IIRC there should definitely be around 8-10 entries in the NQ, which shouldn't be deleted (2 or 3 each for calnot, clocknot, replog etc).

How do you know its not waking from standby to check mail? Are you missing mail items you know should be delivered? The email polling process is undertaken at a semi-suspend level, so no lights will show (unless the message received light is set to indicate a new message) and the screen won't come on.

I have done a couple of tests. Sent email to my POP3 account from my office - which gets delivered to the POP3 mailbox (checking webmail). But even when my Kaiser is set to check every 5 mins it doesn't check. It's only when I manually wake it up it attempts to connect and download mail. I know it used to wake up - as Homer used to announce "the mail, the mail is here...Woohoo!!" ;)

I've installed Sprite backup which came with my TyTN II - does anyone know if doing a hard reset and then restoring using sprite will also restore the (faulty) NQ??

Thanks!

Frankyg

Guest Neil5459

Sprite would tend to restore all the 'faulty' items if you do a full restore; if you want to restore your registry settings for registration codes etc, but not the NQ, I'm not sure you can do that. It may be worth running with it for a while to see if the entries get restored by the OS.

It is strange that your POP3 polling isn't working- this isn't controlled by the Notification Queue. Is the GPRS connection solid and reliable?

If both things persist it may be worth biting the bullet, and doing a hard reset. It means a complete re installation, but if you have Sprite, you could do a 'Clean Install' backup, and a 'Basic Installation Set' backup to keep for future reference.

Sprite would tend to restore all the 'faulty' items if you do a full restore; if you want to restore your registry settings for registration codes etc, but not the NQ, I'm not sure you can do that. It may be worth running with it for a while to see if the entries get restored by the OS.

It is strange that your POP3 polling isn't working- this isn't controlled by the Notification Queue. Is the GPRS connection solid and reliable?

If both things persist it may be worth biting the bullet, and doing a hard reset. It means a complete re installation, but if you have Sprite, you could do a 'Clean Install' backup, and a 'Basic Installation Set' backup to keep for future reference.

Does the device actually wake up to poll the POP3 account? If so, what does control the timing of the event, if it's not the notification queue?

GPRS connection is great most of the time - certainly stable at home where I'm doing the testing.

I hate hard resets ;)

Guest Neil5459
Does the device actually wake up to poll the POP3 account? If so, what does control the timing of the event, if it's not the notification queue?

I don't know- maybe someone else with more detailed knowledge can chip in? My NQ definitely has nothing relating to email (I use Push rather then polling though)

Guest Neil5459
So I did a hard reset but then had the problem found HERE - but found the solution. Case closed ;)

Cool stuff FrankyG :wub:- good tip on dbviewer in the other thread!

Did the HR sort out the email polling problem?