AT&T Blackjack Smartphone or PDA?

Guest chanceu

Maybe this has been discussed, but quick search didn't turn up anything so I'm asking the question...

Can anyone explain why the Blackjack is considered a PDA (and not a Smartphone) by AT&T?

They insist it's a PDA and want to charge PDA data rates. Honestly, if they would simply say they're doing it because they can and want to bilk Blackjack users for more money, I would accept it (not necessarily like it). However, they have yet to give a meaningful reason why they made this decision. I have heard every excuse from it downloads more data to it has a faster processor to it has a QWERTY keyboard to it runs WM for Pocket PC Phone Edition.

The 3G may allow faster downloads therefore more data over the same period of time, but not more data for the exact same task. This should also mean PDA data plans should be forced on the Nokia 6555, but they're not.

I'm unclear what a faster processor or QWERTY keyboard has to do with whether it's a Smartphone or a PDA. They only thing I can come up with is maybe they figure you can do more things in a shorter period of time therefore more data downloaded. They also said that the size of the display means more data is downloaded, so I guess that means I download more data on a PC with a 1920x1200 display than I do on another PC with a 1024x768 display. Or maybe I download twice as much data when my laptop is docked and has the desktop stretched across two 1920x1600 displays (before anyone comments, this is sarcasm).

Finally, unless the reviews in "Smartphone & Pocket PC", "Laptop", "PC World" and the specs on Microsoft.com and CNET.COM are wrong, the Blackjack runs WM for Smartphone. There was also some comment about the applications that can run on the Blackjack, but unless I've missed something, I should be able to run the same applications on my 3125 as on a Blackjack within the limitations of the hardware.

Any thoughts???

Guest chucky.egg

MS consider it a Smartphone, but don't waste your breath trying to persuade an operator (they wouldn't understand you anyway)

Buy yourself an I600 (with 3G and WiFi) SIM-free from Handtec or Hi-Mobile and forget them

The good news is I finally complained enough and to the right people, that they gave me the Smartphone plan. Don't get me wrong, this was never a complaint about the phone. Cingular/AT&T was just mad that I was still using an unlimited data plan they sold me years ago that is now $10/month (or $20 for a "PDA") more. They originally said the old plan wouldn't work on either my 3125 or my wifes Blackjack and after I told them it had been working just fine, they shut it off completely. Just so I'm not accused of trying to scam Cingular/AT&T, the original plan was sold for an MPx220 and I can't understand how it was okay for that phone but not for a 3125 or Blackjack as far as data is concerned. All the phones were upgraded through Cingular/AT&T and there was never any mention of problems when I was willing to spend hundreds of dollars and extend my contract for new phones.

Anyway, I got the answer I was looking for. Cingular/AT&T is the only entity that considers the Blackjack a PDA and whether they'll admit it or not, it is done to force more expensive data plans on customers.