Blackberry Connect ruined web browsing?

Guest xklipschx

Guest xklipschx

I have Blackberry Connect up and running great on my Kaiser. However, my ability to browse the Internet using Internet Explorer via WiFi, GPRS, 3G, or HSDPA no longer functions (even when Blackberry Connect has been suspended). I try to load a webpage and the status bar just says 0kb and quits. If I go through Blackberry Connect and launch the Internet Explorer through the Blackberry Connect software, I am able to access the internet but it is Blackberry's Internet (limited pictures, sites, etc).

How can I get MediaNet and WiFi to work when Blackberry Connect is disabled?

Can I get both to work at the same time (a radio hack of sorts)?

Edit:

I should note that I am able to get weather updates, check windows update, and get QuickGPS updates with BB Connect disabled and WiFi on, through activesync, or through a MediaNet connection. However, again, IE will not load a website.

Edit#2:

I am also able to use GoogleMaps with no issue (nothing cached). It would appear that my IE needs to be configured differently ...

Any way to configure IE to connect like it used to when not on BB Connect Edge service?

Edited by xklipschx

Guest xklipschx
Have a look at the network settings to make sure the BB connect hasn't directed http sessions though a proxy server

Where exactly are these network settings for HTTP?

When I launch the "Email Setup" icon from BB Connect, IE opens up and connects to BIS and the "Menu" under IE has a new "Blackberry" section. However, I cannot find any connection settings for IE specifically or for a global http proxy. Can you help a newbie out?

Go to settings - connections - connection

Look at the top connection, should be for your telecoms provider. mine reads T-mobile internet. Click on setup my proxy server and see if there are any proxy servers setup in that section.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Abra Cadabra
I have Blackberry Connect up and running great on my Kaiser. However, my ability to browse the Internet using Internet Explorer via WiFi, GPRS, 3G, or HSDPA no longer functions (even when Blackberry Connect has been suspended). I try to load a webpage and the status bar just says 0kb and quits. If I go through Blackberry Connect and launch the Internet Explorer through the Blackberry Connect software, I am able to access the internet but it is Blackberry's Internet (limited pictures, sites, etc).

How can I get MediaNet and WiFi to work when Blackberry Connect is disabled?

Can I get both to work at the same time (a radio hack of sorts)?

Edit:

I should note that I am able to get weather updates, check windows update, and get QuickGPS updates with BB Connect disabled and WiFi on, through activesync, or through a MediaNet connection. However, again, IE will not load a website.

Edit#2:

I am also able to use GoogleMaps with no issue (nothing cached). It would appear that my IE needs to be configured differently ...

Any way to configure IE to connect like it used to when not on BB Connect Edge service?

I have the same problem. Have not been able to find a solution. PIE gets reconfigured for use through BBC.

Opera Mini and Opera Mobile both work fine however. All other programs that require Internet access also work fine. It's only PIE that gets messed up. I've rediscovered the joys of Opera Mini because of the problem :) .

Guest UncleJimbo

I found this problem too. I've basically abandoned Pocket IE! You should notice, however, that in the "Menu" of Pocket IE there is an option to disable "Blackberry Browsing". If you select this you should, in theory (was very flaky for me), be able to use IE with your standard contract GPRS connection.

From what I've found, BB Connect takes over IE. It assumes you'll be using your BB connection to browse the internet all the time. With BB Connect v4 you should see a new shortcut in Programs - I think it's just called Internet, but I've since renamed the shortcut to Blackberry Browser. If you select this, it fires up Pocket IE but will browse the web thru the Blackberry connection. Again, this was always unreliable for me.

I now use Opera Mobile (and Opera Mini) for all my web browsing.

• 1 month later...
Guest nrj1999

I had this problem when I first installed BB Connect 4 and found a post somewhere (can't for the life of me find it again otherwise I would put up the link) which mentioned a registry key that you needed to change.

I recently bricked my Vario III and had to re-install everything, including the registry tweak and, by a very convoluted process, managed to find it again. The key I changed was:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/InternetSettings

EnableAutoDetect=1 (it was set to 0 before)

and it fixed the browsing problem with Internet Explorer.

I started using Opera Mini whilst looking for a fix for this last time and don't actually use IE much now but I like to have it working in case any other application needs to use it.

Hope this helps and apologies for not crediting the original poster who found this.