Problems with 3G on Kaiser

Guest evad

Guest Nuke NiNe
... (which was lovely, btw)

..... 3G and there are no problems

Glad to hear you enjoyed ;)

Now, you really saying that you had ur TyTNII replaced and the new one drops nothing.....? That would mean that I actually have a HW issue. I thought it'd be HW (or settings) since I had same issue on TyTN.

Please let me know if you remain 'ok' on 3G...... (which I hope for you btw), then maybe it's time for HW replacement as well.

Glad to hear you enjoyed B)

Now, you really saying that you had ur TyTNII replaced and the new one drops nothing.....? That would mean that I actually have a HW issue. I thought it'd be HW (or settings) since I had same issue on TyTN.

Please let me know if you remain 'ok' on 3G...... (which I hope for you btw), then maybe it's time for HW replacement as well.

As I said - I've received it (or rather - came back from Greece) last Friday and up until now 3G stability is good. :)

As I said - I've received it (or rather - came back from Greece) last Friday and up until now 3G stability is good. ;)

I think that proves nothing. I still have the issus with 3G. I'm constantly running on GPRS. I had my Kaiser for over 2 weeks before the problem started. I want to wait until the software update before replacing the unit

Guest palmbox

I'm in France, with Orange operator, and I have exactly the same problem.

HTC repair team said that they don't know this problem and that I'm the only one to have it. It is now the second time that i send back my device, they don't want to change it, i don't know what i can do.

As I said - I've received it (or rather - came back from Greece) last Friday and up until now 3G stability is good. ;)

I'm having the same problem on Vodafone (V1615). Was just searching the forum to see if anyone else was experiencing this as I was going to call vodafone for an exchange today!

Sounds like it's hardware?

Edited by gregk

This must be a hardware issue as I have been using my pre-production model for a few months now on tmobile. And my final product for a few days and have no problems at all over 3G on tmobile. I work in london also and travel from surrey every morning with no trouble with drop calls. Hope you get it back soon.

I'm having the same problem... Returning my kaiser today... sucks.

Guest jimbouk

1) WM6 3G devices are famous for thinking there is a strong enough 3G signal when there isnt. Thus the device thinks it has 3G coverage but it doesnt. Hence calling and data problems.

2) Mobile phone devices have different transceiver charateristics. You can put two Kaisers side by side and one may have a strong signal and the other a weak signal.

Options:

1) put up with it

2) switch it to GSM only and have slightly slower speeds/no video etc

3) swap your unit and see if the new one is any better

4) change network to one that offers better coverage in your area

5) change to a 2.5g device.

Guest gazbert
The Vario III has none of these problems, so it isnt a T-Mob problem.

Sell the replacement Kaiser, get a Vario iii, happy days. lol

My Vario III has exactly this problem. Am going to a T-Mobile shop today to try my SIM in one of their Vario III's to see if it's the SIM or the Phone or the Network that is at fault.

Right.

I've had this issue, so I've contacted HTC and sent my phone for a repair as I was told this is a hardware problem.

My phone came back yesterday. HTC replaced the board, so essentially it's like a new phone in the old case.

I can place calls on 3G, browse the internet and even get HSPDA sometime.

The conclusion: if you having problems with 3G, it could be the hardware.

1) WM6 3G devices are famous for thinking there is a strong enough 3G signal when there isnt. Thus the device thinks it has 3G coverage but it doesnt. Hence calling and data problems.

2) Mobile phone devices have different transceiver charateristics. You can put two Kaisers side by side and one may have a strong signal and the other a weak signal.

Hmmm. Not sure I agree with that appraisal?

3G coverage in the centre of London can't be an issue with real signal strength...network congestion maybe, but surely not signal strength? Especially on the 9th floor of our office which T-Mob confirmed has full HSDPA coverage? And at home (likewise full coverage). And in Edinburgh when I visited? Can't imagine that tranceiver characteristics differ that much that I just 'got a bad one' either, unless HTCs QC processes are absolutely apalling?

Also, if it was signal strength I wouldn't expect it to have good periods and bad periods, I'd expect it to be constantly intermittent or low? But this seems to work fine for several hours, then just go off on the blink?!?

Furthermore, the problem seems to be made worse around the handoffs between voice and data - ie if I'm in or have just finished a data session there's a lower likelihood of a call working inbound or outbound, and it takes a long time to establish a data connection after a voice call as though there's some transitioning phase that's just not behaving correctly.

Really hoping that somewhere there's a patch or firmware update en route to address this as I love my Kaiser but at this rate I'd be better on a bl**dy iPhone. ;)

Guest stussybear

Was there ever an update on whether new hardware solved this issue? Because my TyTn II on T-mobile UK has just started to malfunction when band is set to Auto - 3G calls are ended without connecting, data doesn't connect and I actually lose all signal then. If the band is set to GSM i can make, receive calls/texts and use data.

Others are reporting this issue over on xdadevels - some of them running Vario IIIs too.

I have also got the exact same issue. At home its fine. At work 30 miles away its a nightmare, only works on gsm. Called t-mobile who said its probaly not my handset and to log all calls i try to make in a week with no signal. they they may send an engineer out to the area to test it.

Guest jsjazz999

Hi guys- isn't this the same problem discussed at length a few months back with the Vario II? I seem to remember reading lots of posts on Modaco and XDA developers complaining about intermittently missing calls/ unable to place calls/ straight to voicemail when using 3G. My impression was this was a T-mobile 3G problem and the advice from T-mobile was to switch to GPRS! I had / have this problem with my VArio 2 and the Kaiser on T-mobile.

1) Encouraging to see some people getting a sensible response from T-mobile and not being dismissed out of hand- if anyone does find out the underlying cause can they please post back on here?

2) Those people who have had replacement handsets and the problem has improved- can you post to let us know if the problem has definitely never recurred again? This would suggest a hardware problem. At the moment I see posts from some people who report short term improvement with a new handset but it would be interesting to know if there are any with a permanent cure.

Thanks

Guest mbriody

I got a replacement handset and it seems better but the problem has not gone away completely. It has recurred once so far but it seemed to recover more easily i.e. switching into and out of GSM it started working properly. The previous handset did not do this.

2) Those people who have had replacement handsets and the problem has improved- can you post to let us know if the problem has definitely never recurred again? This would suggest a hardware problem. At the moment I see posts from some people who report short term improvement with a new handset but it would be interesting to know if there are any with a permanent cure.

Thanks

Edited by mbriody

Guest jimbouk

I think it is pretty well known now to be a network problem - and that new handsets that "improve" the situation have a stronger radio transceiver (which helps reduce the problem).

I think it is pretty well known now to be a network problem - and that new handsets that "improve" the situation have a stronger radio transceiver (which helps reduce the problem).

Just wanted to bump this thread again to give me the chance to rant.....

Now my HSDPA has disappeared again. It literally NEVER comes on any more.

Can't believe I'm saying this, but I think I might be sending it back and I'm not sure I want another VIII to replace it while this problem occurs.

I bought this as a data device, and it just doesn't deliver. And if I can't even get decent 3G/HSDPA in the middle of London then where will I get it?!? I'm just not convinced by the 'weak tranceiver' problem....how would that explain the gradual deterioration that has taken place?

It worked when I got it, then started dropping calls, then had HSDPA problems...it just shouldn't be getting worse and worse!

Bottom line, it doesn't do what it says on the tin, which I think rather makes it a Sale of Goods Act problem, not that I think T-Mob will be particularly difficult about the problem.

Frustrated and frankly gutted! Will call them and see what they say.

Guest jimbouk
It worked when I got it, then started dropping calls, then had HSDPA problems...it just shouldn't be getting worse and worse!

Have you tried a hard reset? That will revert it back to exactly how it was when you got it.

The network issue is still viable though. The 3G cell near you may be failing.

You may also find that T have switched off your "H" as there are rumours around that standard wnw accounts are losing it.

Have you tried a hard reset? That will revert it back to exactly how it was when you got it.

The network issue is still viable though. The 3G cell near you may be failing.

You may also find that T have switched off your "H" as there are rumours around that standard wnw accounts are losing it.

Oddly, I tried a reset/restore the other day and for a while it came back, thought all was well, then it dropped again. Did it again today - backed up, reset, restored about five minutes later.....and sure enough, H is back.....briefly only ;)

I went a bit nuts with software installs when I first got it but I've been stable for weeks now, whereas this problem is just totally unpredictable!

Does anyone think a new radio ROM would sort this out, or is this just something we're going to have to live with?

You can quickly check this by checking that the 'H' flag is set to Yes in your online account settings.

When you say 'standard' wnw, do you mean not Plus?

Guest jimbouk
You can quickly check this by checking that the 'H' flag is set to Yes in your online account settings.

When you say 'standard' wnw, do you mean not Plus?

Yes. There are rumours that only wnwplus will have H in the future and that some folks have lost it when they have upgraded their phones and signed back up for a wnw tariff. But these are just rumours.

damit... my phone too. exact problems as you folks. have had the phone a month or so, just recently i can't make phone calls. sometimes i get one call through, but most times peolpe are telling me my phone is off. it also stops sending/receiving text messages. i'm with t-mobile uk, have a WnW+ data plan. Have hard reset several times, and still its buggered. I live in a city, plenty of coverage - sometimes see the H pop up when using data. am getting rather annoyed

Edited by farkah

Guest mbriody

Welcome to our world...

Have to say that the new handset has been much more reliable so far with only one occurrence of the issue.

Although there are people saying this is a network issue, if the handset is not handling the situation properly then surely its a combination of the two that are not fit for purpose.

I've never experienced this with other handsets on T-Mobile UK.

damit... my phone too. exact problems as you folks. have had the phone a month or so, just recently i can't make phone calls. sometimes i get one call through, but most times peolpe are telling me my phone is off. it also stops sending/receiving text messages. i'm with t-mobile uk, have a WnW+ data plan. Have hard reset several times, and still its buggered. I live in a city, plenty of coverage - sometimes see the H pop up when using data. am getting rather annoyed