MoDaCo and Yahoo! Go

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)

Eagle eyed (and indeed not so eagle eyed) readers will have noticed that a good proportion of the advertising on the site has been replaced by branding promoting Yahoo! Go. I'm pleased to announce that MoDaCo is now working with Yahoo! to bring their Go application to the attention of you, the valued MoDaCo readership ;)

post-1-1190892572_thumb.png

"Yahoo! Go is an all-in-one application that brings together your email, search, flickr photos, local info, maps, weather, news, sports and stocks info, allowing you to stay up-to-date whenever, wherever. Personalised widgets and a sleek new carousel make it easy to unlock the full power of the mobile Internet."

That's the marketing speak and my thoughts? It's a very cool application. Really!

Yahoo! Go takes a different approach to that we are normally used to seeing on Windows Mobile devices. Rather than hooking various bits and pieces into the OS (a-la-Windows Live), Yahoo! Go is self contained, and launched by a single icon on your menu. That's not to say that the integration isn't there when you need it, e.g. contacts for mail, photos for FlickR etc... it just doesn't merge things together without asking :wub:

The carousel concept is neat, but more importantly - it just works! The search tool searches a host of different mediums in one go, the local and maps implementation is excellent (with GPS support), FlickR upload is brilliant and other bits and pieces such as weather are very well implemented. Weather has multiple city support, 5 day forecasts etc., all within the cute Go! UI... which is a gem once you've adjusted to how it works.

Best of all? Yahoo! Go is FREE and supports both Pocket PC / Professional and Smartphone / Standard devices, with a unified download that will provide appropriate content for the location you select at first launch! Please support MoDaCo and our partnership with Yahoo! by either heading over to the featured download area, or by pointing your device at http://Go.MoDaCo.com, where your device type will automagically be detected and you will be served the appropriate CAB.

Over the coming days / weeks you'll see some more posts from me about Go features and making the most of what it has to offer, so watch this space.

Finally - Yahoo! are partnering with MoDaCo because they recognise the value of you - the MoDaCo community, and as such any feedback you have on the application will be gratefully... so you can help make future versions even better.

Thanks for listening :D

P

Guest Confucious

Not getting the advertising I haven't seen it...

Downloading now ;)

Downloaded from go.modaco.com and got ppc(1).YGoNet.setup.cab and went to install and get 'The installation file is not intended for this device' :wub:

Some more work needed maybe? or is it not compatable with WM6?

Device is T-Mob Ameo (Athena) running PK Black Touch WM6 ROM on W'n'W

Edited by Confucious

Guest Paul (MVP)

That's the right CAB for Pocket PC, I suspect it's not VGA compatible? I'll have to check ;)

Log out from your Plus account and check out the branding if you'd like to see what you're missing confucious! hehe...

P

Guest battletank

I'm generally impressed with it on my Touch. My main complaint is that it doesn't work properly if installed on a memory card (mail didn't function). a Nicely put together application. Strange decision to drop Messenger for this version, though.

Guest musclelondon

I did have Go installed on my Hermes a few months ago but took it off again as I couldn't quite see a purpose for it (It seemed to be just a touch to Yahoo! for me).... and given that I'm on Orange I was more than a little concerned as to what it would do to my data charges.

It struck me as very pretty and seemed to function as a WM5 skin with added bits. Sadly the added bits did not include the skinning of Informant or Resco or anything else I actually use.

The one thing I do remember was that there were very specific versions for different machines and just coz it worked on one WM5 device didn't mean it would on another. Yahoo sent me a text message when they released a version designed for the Hermes.

tried it and looks great

Paul, you are on T-Mobile right? have you tried uploading piccies to Flickr via this?? keeps telling me 'unable to upload photo's' all the time......wondered if T-Mob were blocking???

Guest Samsonite

i've put it on my E650 and it seems to work ok - i havent and probably wont use the e-mail function - but i would be interested is what else i cn make it do..

as for being the beta version - any idea on when landscape switching will be supported?

Guest Samsonite
It works in landscape if you start in landscape right?

On Pocket PC, the switch is handled correctly!

P

nope ;)

i get a landscape error screen saying This screen mode is not supported. Slide the keyboard shut and it goes back to portrait but without the carousel at the bottom, just the hangover of the previous error screen...

open the keyboard back out and you get a blank screen (with the graded colour background tho). Close it again and i have a full portrait screen - yay!

Guest Markda2000
VGA is not currently supported.

P

Bugger!

looks like it couild be good too.

still waiting on tmob or o2 bringing out the tytnII so I can upgrade.

Hate this waiting.

btw anyone got any news on the omni or the imate 7150?

You say this supports smartphone but I have a SMT 5600/HTC Typhoon running WM6 and the site just tells me "Coming Soon" and won't let me download. Any tricks around this to try the smartphone version?

Guest Confucious
Bugger!

looks like it couild be good too.

still waiting on tmob or o2 bringing out the tytnII so I can upgrade.

Hate this waiting.

btw anyone got any news on the omni or the imate 7150?

It is suprising that they don't suport decent resolutions. They must just be after the legacy market...

As for the Tytn II, T-Mob UK had a 1000 Vario III in yesterday morning but I believe you're probably to late now....

Guest Paul (MVP)
You say this supports smartphone but I have a SMT 5600/HTC Typhoon running WM6 and the site just tells me "Coming Soon" and won't let me download. Any tricks around this to try the smartphone version?

Yes, hit http://go.modaco.com from your device, or download the Smartphone version in the download area here!

P

Guest Confucious
Log out from your Plus account and check out the branding if you'd like to see what you're missing confucious! hehe...

P

Tried this - I didn't realise I could 'Log out' - couldn't post, got withdrawal symptoms, panicked, logged back in. All OK now....

;)

Edited by Confucious

Guest jim.mason

I had problems installing on memory card - took an age to load up. So uninstalled and then installed to phone and hey presto its working fine.

Haven't tried uploading photos yet as I need to setup an account.

One thing I did notice is that when I zoomed into my home location on sat view it wouldn't go show anything beyond about level 4 (showed message to say zoom out as data not available) strange as I live about 2 miles from Norwich Airport and can zoom right in both with Live search and Google maps on my phone.

Guest paholman

I've been using this for a while now, 2.0 BETA.

Is this version still BETA?

I've installed this new cab, (after prompted me to de-install existing version) but when loading is still say "BETA".

I like this app especially for mail.

Here's why:

My mail account is BT Yahoo, and my messaging (WM6) is set to automatically check for mail (once a day).

This is currently at 6:30 am every morning.

If I wanted to manually check for mail in Messaging, I found it alters the time they're automatically checked thereafter. "Once per day" seems to mean 24 hours after the last "manual" check. I want my mails to be checked every morning, so now if I want to manually check mail I use Yahoo Go! It's quick, not data intensive for us non-Data plan users, and works well.

The news item is good, as is the sport.

Nice one Yahoo!

Edited by paholman

I thought I might pithc in with my twopenneth!

I have installed this a few times - and removed it again!

I find it very slow on my Hermes - to the point of being unusabe if you install it to the memort card. I reinstalled it a couple of days ago to main memory and, I must admit, it is a bit faster.

I thought that the "news" widget could replace my RSS reader - but I find it poor compared to Newsbreak that I currently use. Although it looks pretty - it lack features that I really like in Newsbreak. It is quite tricky to get it to recognise a feed, I had to add some to MyYahoo and then import them after it refused to beleive that the feed existed. It does some strange things to BBC feeds - it attempts to go the web page when you ask for more details instead of just showing more of the feed text.

The email "widget" seems to take an awful long time to sync up with the mailbox. I have seen where the web page shows that I have emails in my inbox at Yahoo but despite asking the widget to check my email, it claims there is none.

Personally, I don't need the sport and entertainment sections - it would be nice to be able to hide them.

Anyway - just though I would share!

Guest Paul (MVP)

All opinions welcome!

I definitely don't find it slow, and I don't use it for RSS (I have Newsgator), but I have tried adding feeds and it is somewhat cumbersome.

I think Go has a solid design and foundation and great scope for improvement, and I'm optimistic that MoDaCo members can contribute greatly to making that happen!

P

I think Go has a solid design and foundation and great scope for improvement, and I'm optimistic that MoDaCo members can contribute greatly to making that happen!

P

I would agree about the design - perhaps the speed is just an issue for me.

Perhaps there is scope here for an API that would allow other developers to add "widgets" to the general UI approach. I would certainly welcome the ability to "turn on/off" existing widgets

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.