Turning off 3g?

Guest sqadan

Hi all... I'm a proud owner of a shiny new unlocked Tytn II / Kaiser. ;)

I love the device so far and have not really experienced any issues since I got the device on tuesday. I do have one question though - I am only rarely in a 3g service area as there is no 3g service where I work or near my house. What do I need to do to keep the phone from searching for 3g as I understand this contributes to battery drain? I just want the phone to stay on Edge if possible.

Any help would be appreciated.

Guest rickyburke

I assume a registry hack will be needed, as its possible in WM5 and some versions of WM6 i believe.

But on my Vario III i cant choose to disable 3G networking.

But then again, I'm in a good signal area, so its not a problem for me, not that thats any use to you of course. ;)

Guest jim.mason
I assume a registry hack will be needed, as its possible in WM5 and some versions of WM6 i believe.

But on my Vario III i cant choose to disable 3G networking.

But then again, I'm in a good signal area, so its not a problem for me, not that thats any use to you of course. ;)

Can't you go into Comm Manager and turn it off there???

Can't you go into Comm Manager and turn it off there???

There is no 3g button in the comm manager applet - however there is a band setting in the Phone Settings applet, which band should I set it to for Edge on AT&T? The choices are as follows:

Auto (obviously this is not it...)

GSM(900+1800)+UMTS(2100)

GSM(1900+850)+UMTS(1900+850)

UMTS(2100+800)

I'm not even sure if this is the right place to make this change??? Sorry if I seem clueless.

Guest rickyburke

GSM is Automatically selected though, as its the only option in that box.

You used to be able to use the boxes below to select which band UMTS/GSM but thats no longer an option?

Or does it actually change it? I cant check at the moment as im downloading 562 Emails, lol.

gotta love HSDPA

Start -> Settings -> Phone -> Band -> Network Type -> GSM.

P

Great! Thanks - I'm just now graduating from WM5 Smartphone edition to WM6 Pro - so I'm still feeling my way around...

Im not sure if i like that, I used to actively disable the 2G network. Now i cant, oh well.

Yeah... This is what confused me - other phones i've owned have had a 3g button in the wireless / comm manger applet.

Guest Neil5459

To easily switch 3G on/off or Auto, use Bandswitch a small, free app that sits in the tasktray. Also allows data connection switching

The way to do it manually is Phone/Menu/Optiona/Band and in the Network Type box select GSM. Auto allows auto switching by the phone, and WCDMA forces 3G connections only (not recommended in UK due to flakey 3G coverage!)

If you are in a non-3G area and switch off the 3G reception, you'll see a big difference in battery life- 3G is a power hog as it is a much weaker signal than GSM.