Dreamcast - what to do with one....?

Guest Thurstan

Guest Thurstan

I think I remember reading somewhere that you can use a Sega Dreamcast to do stuff that it wasn't meant to do...

My mate's about to give his the old heave-ho so I was considering giving it a good home... but what can you do with this piece of junk other than propping a door open?

Guest Mr_Protozoa

I picked up a dreamcast on the cheap a few months back and never looked back.

My ps2 has been collecting dust in the corner as Soul Calibur takes over the lives of everyone in my house!

You can get loads of official games for less that five quid in shops now. Failing that there are less legal ways of getting games.

Guest youngerpants

You can always install Linux on it

just type "linux" and "dreamcast" into google and there are loads of distros, here is a beginners guide http://www.fivemouse.com/dclinux.html

You can even port MAME onto it just to be ironic :lol:

oh, and if you dont want it, I always know of someone who is more than happy to pile up yet more obscure electronics in the corner of his dining room/ office :wink: :wink:

Guest mashkhan

I'm using mine to play Project Ikaruga and Megadrive and Snes games. You can also use it as a VCD player. There are some VERY good games for it as well,

try Soul Calibur, Shenume 1 + 2, Virtua Tennis and PowerStone2.

Guest Paul [MVP]

I concur, the Dreamcast is an AWESOME machine, I have an XBox, and still play my DC LOADS! Soft and hardware are really cheap now too!

Here's my list of potential uses:

- Play Sonic Adventure 2, AMAZING!

- Get a load of sober people round and play Bomberman Online (offline is cool, online still works too!)

- Get a load of sober people round and play Worms World Party (offline is cool, online still works too!)

- Get a load of pissed people round and play Dance Dance Revolution 2nd Mix / Club Mix with mats

- Get a load of pissed people round and play Samba De Amigo / 2000 with Maracas

- Buy a keyboard (cheap), get a copy of the US browser disc (where you can choose an ISP), use a simple webmail service like webmail.bushinternet.com, and give it to an elderly relative to use for e-mail!

- Play MSR, the prequel to Project Gotham Racing, and marvel at the Dreamcast's abilities

:lol:

P

Guest Paul [MVP]

I have Samba De Amigo UK with the Maracas, AND Samba De Amigo 2000 Japanese Version!

It's awesome :lol: I wouldn't dream of selling it!

I also have both Dance Dance Revolution games and 2 mats...

P

Guest TooMuch2AM

You lot are in trouble now!

After all this talk I've only gone and bought one off eBay for fifty quid!

Mind you, it does come with 2 controllers, an official DC steering wheel and 9 (genuine) games, including MSR.

Not bad for a little more than the price of a game for my PS2...

Now all I need to know is:

1. Are these 'boot discs' any good?

2. What do I need to play DivX?

3. What do I need to play VideoCD?

4. What do I need to play MP3's?

5. Is there an adapter to allow me to use the DC wheel with my PS2?

Cheers all, here's another box I have to justify with the missus! :lol:

M