uh oh, 6Gb MicroSD problem on my Vario III?

Guest AndyO

Guest nickynoodles

Hmm .. interesting info, thanks. Kind of worrying that class 2 is only deemed as 'should' work.

Seems strange to me that these cards aren't backwards compatible. The Sandisk site list in the feature list "Speed performance rating: Class 4". That suggests to me that class 2 and 4 aren't two incompatible specs, like SDR and DDR ram, but just a certification of speed. I don't get why it can't just write to the class 4 card at class 2 speeds. Anyone know?

Anyhoo, need to decide whether to send this one back before I open it ;)

Guest Chainfire
Hmm .. interesting info, thanks. Kind of worrying that class 2 is only deemed as 'should' work.

Seems strange to me that these cards aren't backwards compatible. The Sandisk site list in the feature list "Speed performance rating: Class 4". That suggests to me that class 2 and 4 aren't two incompatible specs, like SDR and DDR ram, but just a certification of speed. I don't get why it can't just write to the class 4 card at class 2 speeds. Anyone know?

Anyhoo, need to decide whether to send this one back before I open it ;)

AFAIK what you say is correct, it is a speed rating and should not be relevant. All SDHC capable readers and writers and cards should work together perfectly, independant of the class. Which means that if there is a problem there, HTC probably pulled a fast one somewhere. Besides, what sense would it make if the card REQUIRED 4mb/s to be read or written? Aside from copy operations, I doubt most applications will reach that speed (GPRS download anyone?).

Either way, I've had the suspect 6gb SanDisk in my TyTN II for almost two weeks of relatively heavy use (can't ... stop ... fiddling :wub: - and coding, that too) without any problems whatsoever. I've filled it up and I've emptied it, both several times (now sticking to a nice 50-50% setup). All is still well.

Well, I'm still no closer to getting Activesync to let me install direct to the storage card, but thankfully the corruption problem hasn't recurred since I reseated the card a couple of times. Really hoping it doesn't screw up in three months time ;)

Anyway, I'm content for the time being as I can override install prefs on the confirmation on the Vario itself but I'd like to get it behaving from Activesync. Apart from the swift battery drain (mind you I'm using the Windows Live which I guess uses an always-on data connection) its behaving itself pretty well for the time being!

btw...There isn't some stupid registry setting somewhere that dictates whether the device will 'override' an external install command is there?

Well, I'm still no closer to getting Activesync to let me install direct to the storage card, but thankfully the corruption problem hasn't recurred since I reseated the card a couple of times. Really hoping it doesn't screw up in three months time ;)

Anyway, I'm content for the time being as I can override install prefs on the confirmation on the Vario itself but I'd like to get it behaving from Activesync. Apart from the swift battery drain (mind you I'm using the Windows Live which I guess uses an always-on data connection) its behaving itself pretty well for the time being!

btw...There isn't some stupid registry setting somewhere that dictates whether the device will 'override' an external install command is there?

Bl**dy typical!!!

I typed that, hit post, then opened File Explorer on the device..went to Storage Card...and it froze up. Then it very, very slowly started to populate the screen with the contents of the card. My old PDA used to do that with brands of SD Card it didn't like...

A soft reset later and its working again. Grrrr.

Guest Sam_007
I'm not sure. It could be a combination of both, but i'm gonna lean towards it being a hardware issue.

Class 2 cards have a read/write speed of 2 gb/s and the class 4 cards have a read/write speed of 4 gb/s. If the handset can't handle speeds of 4gb/s then it'll cause probs. Although i'm not sure if it's possible for a card to be backward compatible ;)

As far as I can tell, the spec says that Class 2 cards require a MINIMUM transfer speed of 2 MB/sec, Class 4 a MINIMUM of 4 MB/sec. The Kaiser appears to be designed to support Class 2, and it may be that if you're lucky your particular one may work with Class 4 cards due to the typical variation in performance that you get with these kinds of devices. But it won't be guaranteed to work.

Guest miker33
As far as I can tell, the spec says that Class 2 cards require a MINIMUM transfer speed of 2 MB/sec, Class 4 a MINIMUM of 4 MB/sec. The Kaiser appears to be designed to support Class 2, and it may be that if you're lucky your particular one may work with Class 4 cards due to the typical variation in performance that you get with these kinds of devices. But it won't be guaranteed to work.

As far as I know the standard is SDHC and the class rating is just a measure of how fast the card is capable of managing under test conditions. So if a device supports SDHC it should support any class of card (in theory of course).