How to use Storage card for Microsoft Exchange Messages

Guest mighlani

Guest mighlani

Hi -

I have got my Vario III. Got my ScanDisk 6GB storage card. Got Microsoft Exchange sync-ed directly for Contacts, Calendar, Email and Tasks. All went smoothly except the following:

1. All the above 4 (Contacts, Calendar, Email and Tasks) seem to be stored on the device rather than the storage card. I would be grateful if someone could advise me how to store these on the card. Seems such a waste of space on device!

2. After sync with Exchange, all messages in Inbox are downloaded. The folder structure is also there but no messages within any folder. Does it expect me to go to that folder and Send/Receive? Is there any way to have the entire set of emails sync-ed in one go.

3. Our company also uses Public Folders on Exchange. Somehow these have been ommitted from the downloads. Can anyone please advise how to sync these too.

Many thanks.

Migs

Guest the_ape
Hi -

I have got my Vario III. Got my ScanDisk 6GB storage card. Got Microsoft Exchange sync-ed directly for Contacts, Calendar, Email and Tasks. All went smoothly except the following:

1. All the above 4 (Contacts, Calendar, Email and Tasks) seem to be stored on the device rather than the storage card. I would be grateful if someone could advise me how to store these on the card. Seems such a waste of space on device!

2. After sync with Exchange, all messages in Inbox are downloaded. The folder structure is also there but no messages within any folder. Does it expect me to go to that folder and Send/Receive? Is there any way to have the entire set of emails sync-ed in one go.

3. Our company also uses Public Folders on Exchange. Somehow these have been ommitted from the downloads. Can anyone please advise how to sync these too.

Many thanks.

Migs

Ok here goes, the attachments can be stored on the storage card, to do that click Menu/Tools/Options click the Storage tab and select store on storage card....

As for the folders, by default (because it's a mobile device), it only downloads the Inbox... To add other folders to the auto update/monitor click Menu/Tools/Manage Folders and pop a tick in each of the folders you want syncing.

It's also worth poping into activesync, Menu Configure Server/Next/Next, then click E-Mail/Settings and make sure these are set to something sensible, I use 1 Week/HTML/Entire Message/Include attachments lower than 750k

That should sort you out.

Guest mighlani
Ok here goes, the attachments can be stored on the storage card, to do that click Menu/Tools/Options click the Storage tab and select store on storage card....

As for the folders, by default (because it's a mobile device), it only downloads the Inbox... To add other folders to the auto update/monitor click Menu/Tools/Manage Folders and pop a tick in each of the folders you want syncing.

It's also worth poping into activesync, Menu Configure Server/Next/Next, then click E-Mail/Settings and make sure these are set to something sensible, I use 1 Week/HTML/Entire Message/Include attachments lower than 750k

That should sort you out.

Thanks!

But is there any way that we can get it to store contacts, emails etc. too on storage card besides the attachments.

Regards

Migs

Guest the_ape
Thanks!

But is there any way that we can get it to store contacts, emails etc. too on storage card besides the attachments.

Regards

Migs

Unfortunatly not, however with the Kaiser it's not as big an issue as with previous devices, as it has so much ram available for storage.

Just so you know, all contacts/calander is stored in a file called PIM.VOL on the root of the device, and usually does not get too big, mine with my calander and contacts is about 2Mb at the moment....

The big issue is the messages, and moving them off to the storage card is what we did earlier.

The reason for keeping this data on the device rather than the SD card, is because the device can only garantee that the local ram is not going to disapear, and be available at boot time. If you think about it it would be silly to store this data on the card, no other phone (Nokia/SE) allows you to do it, so WM doesnt either. It is after all the safest place for it, and people would only complain if the database became corrupt if it was moved onto the storage card.

Guest mighlani
Unfortunatly not, however with the Kaiser it's not as big an issue as with previous devices, as it has so much ram available for storage.

Just so you know, all contacts/calander is stored in a file called PIM.VOL on the root of the device, and usually does not get too big, mine with my calander and contacts is about 2Mb at the moment....

The big issue is the messages, and moving them off to the storage card is what we did earlier.

The reason for keeping this data on the device rather than the SD card, is because the device can only garantee that the local ram is not going to disapear, and be available at boot time. If you think about it it would be silly to store this data on the card, no other phone (Nokia/SE) allows you to do it, so WM doesnt either. It is after all the safest place for it, and people would only complain if the database became corrupt if it was moved onto the storage card.

Great reply. That's convinced me! I am sticking with more or less all your config, with the only difference being attachment limit (less than 1024KB instead of 750KB). It is so great to have everything all sync-ed up with Exchange directly.

Now off to get TomTom to complete the lovely Vario. One hell of a device this is ;)

Kind Regards

Migs

Guest the_ape
Great reply. That's convinced me! I am sticking with more or less all your config, with the only difference being attachment limit (less than 1024KB instead of 750KB). It is so great to have everything all sync-ed up with Exchange directly.

Now off to get TomTom to complete the lovely Vario. One hell of a device this is ;)

Kind Regards

Migs

No problems, glad to be of service.